It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question on MIT Sloan Optional Essay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Question on MIT Sloan Optional Essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 14:33
Between most of the admission consulting websites, I have seen suggestions that one should submit a multimedia-type original item for the optional question on the MIT Sloan application, or a written essay that adds further information to your application.

Does anybody with strong knowledge of the application process know if it would be more beneficial to post a GPA explanation essay (downward trending GPA, and MS Grad GPA of 3.33)? Is it possible to do both, or is the optional question a one-or-the-other scenario?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 2

Question on MIT Sloan Optional Essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 17:13
This post received
KUDOS
tgaucher wrote:
Between most of the admission consulting websites, I have seen suggestions that one should submit a multimedia-type original item for the optional question on the MIT Sloan application, or a written essay that adds further information to your application.

Does anybody with strong knowledge of the application process know if it would be more beneficial to post a GPA explanation essay (downward trending GPA, and MS Grad GPA of 3.33)? Is it possible to do both, or is the optional question a one-or-the-other scenario?

I've gone to a Sloan info session and asked that exact question to an adcom member. She said we can use the space for both. And since there's no word limit, we should still use some discretion about how lengthy to make the essay with additional substance. And the additional substance should not be about why MBA or why Sloan, since they'll get that in the interview. They just want to know more about you beyond the typical application components.

On a separate note, I wish bschools would just rename the "optional essay" to "Issue Statement" or "Optional Statements" since they want it to be brief. The word "essay" makes you think you need to write in detail.

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 2

Current Student

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Re: Question on MIT Sloan Optional Essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 06:41
Thank you, that's great to hear!

Do you have any idea how to present both, given that they're in one text box in the application? Should there be some sort of heading?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 07:22
tgaucher wrote:

Do you have any idea how to present both, given that they're in one text box in the application? Should there be some sort of heading?

I was wondering the same thing, but hadn't seen the application before that info session I attended to ask it that day.

Sloan is having an online webinar next week, so you got a chance to ask live and get an immediate response:
https://applymitsloan.mit.edu/register/MBAChatAug262015

(I literally received the invite to that chat the second I went to respond to your reply.)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 12:35
tgaucher wrote:

I have a concrete answer to your question after attending the Sloan Ambassador Program event today. Adcom said that additional portion about yourself, whether in writing, a video, blog post, etc, must be read within around a minute, so it can't be too long. You can basically separate this portion from actual statements about your gaps all the same way with a line space in between to separate them. For example, you possibly spend 2 sentences talking about a low GPA, then leave one line break between that and your paragraphs about yourself or a link to your blog post or link to a video or whatever medium you have that in. If it's a link to something online, obviously let them know what you are trying to show them before presenting the link.

Re: Question on MIT Sloan Optional Essay   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2015, 12:35

Question on MIT Sloan Optional Essay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap