GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 01:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

R1, R2, R3 By when should you apply

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
Schools: Stanford '19 (A)
R1, R2, R3 By when should you apply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 22:54
Dear MBA Aspirants,

The round 1 deadlines are round the corner. The pressure is palpable. There is a long list of tasks that need your attention. It seems just never ending. Maybe a small voice inside you would say, "Don't worry, you still have 2-3 more rounds for the applications. Do it at your own pace". For others who are not aiming for R1 at all, the story would not be very different when the R2 deadline is round the corner, your procrastination would want you to delay till R3.

To understand how colleges really evaluate students, I went through college admission requirements from over 20 colleges. One thing that I found common (in over 80% of the case) is that colleges strongly recommend you to apply sooner rather than later. For international students specifically, R3 deadline makes little to no sense. Why is that so? There are 3-4 rounds of applications. Shouldn't I just apply in either one and be fine? Well I doubt that this thought process would be very helpful. Here are my thoughts on what round should one aim for. -

1. Majority of good colleges clearly mention that international students must apply no later than R2 for providing sufficient time for I20 and visa processing etc.

2. MBA is a fairly costly affair. As an R1 or even R2 admit, you would have sufficient time to apply for almost all scholarships (Most scholarships have a deadline prior or close to R3 deadline)

3. Think from college's point of view. They face a stiff competition and are eager to not lose out on good candidates waiting for better candidates. One in hand is worth two in bush, applies as much to colleges as to the students.

4. Over time, colleges have been receiving a larger number of applicants in R2 than in R1, thus increasing the competition in R2. Additionally from my experience as a Stanford admit, the total number of students admitted in R1 alone, made around 50% of total class strength. Moreover, a close friend - a recent Wharton graduate - was waitlisted after applying to HBS in R2. A possible speculation here was that the admissions team may have admitted someone with a similar profile in R1 and had waitlisted my friend just in case that person dropped out. While this speculation may be wrong, it does haunt her still.

5. Say you were too ambitious or too safe in R1 and hence made it to none of the great colleges or made it to all average colleges. You still have R2 to change your strategy for school selection and pivot as per the R1 results. This way you would not end up delaying your MBA by another year. Your R1 results can help you prepare better in R2.

6. Don't forget to read carefully whether a college has rolling admissions - the college will review your application on first come first served basis. In this case again, sooner the better.

Finally, applying in an earlier round will give you a definite edge. That said, it would be of little use to rush through your application without putting in your best. All I am suggesting is for you to push yourself further to be bring in your best at an earlier deadline. There are 2 months for R1 application deadline. With good strategy, time management and dedication, you will achieve your dreams. Alll the best!!
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 01:29
Thank you for sharing your advice. Very helpful. It will certainly help those who are planning to apply this year; however, 'My MBA Journey' forum is not appropriate place to post this. I am moving the topic in BSchool Application forum.

Thanks again for taking time to write this detailed article.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Current Student
B
Schools: Stanford '19 (A)
Re: R1, R2, R3 By when should you apply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 04:44
Narenn wrote:
Thank you for sharing your advice. Very helpful. It will certainly help those who are planning to apply this year; however, 'My MBA Journey' forum is not appropriate place to post this. I am moving the topic in BSchool Application forum.

Thanks again for taking time to write this detailed article.

Thanks for your kind words and for helping out Narenn. I was indeed struggling to find the right place to put this up. Not very regular on the club frankly!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 19:40
Hi mahakgarg,

Quite comprehensive. Kudos.

I echo point # 4. From cases I’ve seen, this seems to be more true for applicants from less-represented (which doesn't mean only geographic representation) applicant pools. Because the schools are looking to take in only few from such applicant pools, the odds of getting waitlisted or outright ding vis a vis R1 are higher for later rounds. But, as you said, it’s important to turn in the application only when it’s your best effort.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)

Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries | Consulting

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 20:02
Hello :)

This is indeed a very well compiled list of points! Thanks for sharing the same :)

Applying in R3 may adversely impact the admission/scholarship chances of international students and it is always best for them to apply in R1 and R2. That said, a number of students face the dilemma of confirming admits in R1 while they are still awaiting decisions from other schools, which have delayed admission cycles. However, since the gap in decision dates cannot be avoided, it is best that students opt for their best chance in an earlier round.

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 10:36
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: R1, R2, R3 By when should you apply &nbs [#permalink] 27 Aug 2018, 10:36

R1, R2, R3 By when should you apply

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap