GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 21:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 16:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:16) correct 61% (01:24) wrong based on 208 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax rates, has made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.

(A) Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax rates, has made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.
(B) Rising raw material costs and escalating corporate tax rates has made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.
(C) The rise in raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax rates, has made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.
(D) Rising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax rates, has made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.
(E) Rising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax rates, have made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 02:58
GMATNinja generis VeritasKarishma
[Singular Noun], along with [Plural Noun] has/have....... What will it take?
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 03:30
Debashis Roy

along with is a prepositional phrase and cannot decide the number agreement for the verb of a sentence.
The only conjunction that makes subject plural is AND

Since costs is plural, we need a plural verb- have made.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 02:30
adkikani wrote:
Debashis Roy

along with is a prepositional phrase and cannot decide the number agreement for the verb of a sentence.

Why C is not the correct answer?
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 04:39
rupeshnverbal wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Debashis Roy

Why C is not the correct answer?

Hi rupeshnverbal,

In C, what's the subject? Is it "the rise" or is it the actual "raw material costs"?

The answer to that will tell you why C is incorrect.

"along with" is actually an additive phrase. Other examples include:
- in addition to
- as well as
- together with
- including

Rule: When you use an additive phrase the subject must always come before the additive phrase.

For example:
Incorrect: John, as well as his friend, are coming for dinner
Correct: John, as well as his friend, is coming for dinner

Or

Correct: John as well as his friend is coming for dinner

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 07:26
Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax rates, has made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.

(A) Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax rates, has made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.
(B) Rising raw material costs and escalating corporate tax rates has made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.
(C) The rise in raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax rates, has made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.
(D) Rising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax rates, has made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.
(E) Rising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax rates, have made it very difficult for companies to remain profitable.

Can anyone please tell me why " rising raw material cost" is plural... its phrase and as per my knowledge it must be singular...
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 09:09
jrk23 wrote:

Can anyone please tell me why " rising raw material cost" is plural... its phrase and as per my knowledge it must be singular...

First of all, it is "rising raw material costs "..... It is "Adjective-Adjective-Noun " combination and the noun present in this structure is plural.

Hope it helps

Thanks = Kudos
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 09:17
I think D is the correct Answer.

Rising ....( Singular) ..Along with escalating ( Additive phrase) .. (it should take has)

Example:
Person X along with Person Y is coming.

Along with .. is additive phrase and we can ignore it and hence doesn't constitute the verb.
Let me know if my reasoning is flawed.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
V
Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 09:33
jrk23 wrote:

Hi jrk23 , rising raw material costs is a plural noun phrase because
-- rising is an adjective
-- costs is the noun, and
-- THE rising of raw material costs would be the way to make the phrase singular
(That phrasing, though, is not preferred on the GMAT. A straightforward action noun such as "the increase" is preferred over ___ING nouns almost always.)

I cannot tell whether your quote "rising material cost" is a typo.
(I think it is. I think you meant "rising raw material costs.")

• Eliminate the words raw and material. Both are adjectives.*

rising is an adjective.
verbING words (present participles) such as rising are often adjectives:
setting sun, maddening question, dwindling resources

• "Rising costs" is similar to "increased costs."
Both noun phrases are plural.
Wrong: Increased costs is hurting the company's profits.
Correct: Increased costs are hurting the company's profits.
Similarly, correct: Rising costs are hurting the company's profits.

• singular noun phrase?

If we wanted to make the noun phrase singular,
we would make rising into a noun (a gerund).
To do so, we would add "the" and "of": the rising of
Then the ___ING word becomes a verb-ING that acts like a noun.

In other words, this noun phrase would be singular: The rising of raw material costs . . .

Hope that helps.

Your question raises another issue: why is material an adjective?
The noun costs is modified by rising [adjective, above] and raw [adjective] and by material
material is also an adjective, though material is usually a noun
-- English frequently uses nouns as adjectives: sports car, race horse, sports trainer.
-- In such cases the noun can be described as a "noun-adjective."

One way to tell whether a noun is acting as an adjective: does it precede the other noun?
A noun acting as an adjective must always precede the noun it modifies. No exceptions.

So if we see adjective + noun + adjective + noun,
then the first noun is a noun-adjective that describes the second noun.
-- "Material" is an adjective that describes costs.

Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 09:50
I think Rising costs is plural.
Rising (adj.) Costs ( plural noun)
This phrase means to say that different costs are rising.
So, there is not one cost but multiple costs that are rising.
So,
Rising costs (plural) ...[along with escalating tax rates] (additive phrase) <ignore it> ...(it should take).. have..
Hence E will be the correct Answer.

Had the question specified 'Rising cost'(singular) then it would have taken 'has'

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax...   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2019, 09:50

Raising raw material costs, along with escalating corporate tax...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics