GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 06:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Reading Books vs Practicing Questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: ISB '20
GPA: 3.04
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Reading Books vs Practicing Questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 09:51
I have been on and off in this GMAT preparation mode for the last two months. When I took my first (2 months ago) diagnostic test from the GMATprep, I scored a 680 (Q49 V34). Since my target school has an average GMAT score of around 710, I was highly elated by my performance. However, later into my preparation (a week ago), I attempted a Veritasprep mock test and scored 640 (Q48 V30) which was way below my expectations.

My method of studying usually involves practicing questions from OG and few other sources, analyzing the questions I did wrong and trying not to repeat the same mistakes again. I have referred to just one written material yet i.e., Manhattan SC. I fear that the reason I am not seeing any progress with my scores is because I have not gone through any books in the subjects. Should I refer to more books or should I keep practicing questions? Please help.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Reading Books vs Practicing Questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 13:59
Hi tush1992,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you performed in a similar 'range' on both CATs (about 660 +/- a few points). This is meant to say that "your way" of approaching the GMAT will likely continue to earn you a score in the mid-600s (give or take). In a prior post, you noted that your Score Goal was 750+. To consistently score at that higher level, you'll need to make some significant adjustments to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What has your typical study routine been like each week for the last 2 months? How many hours do you typically study?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) each time?

Goals:
3) Is your goal score still 750+?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 23:25
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi tush1992,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you performed in a similar 'range' on both CATs (about 660 +/- a few points). This is meant to say that "your way" of approaching the GMAT will likely continue to earn you a score in the mid-600s (give or take). In a prior post, you noted that your Score Goal was 750+. To consistently score at that higher level, you'll need to make some significant adjustments to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What has your typical study routine been like each week for the last 2 months? How many hours do you typically study?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) each time?

Goals:
3) Is your goal score still 750+?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Rich

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Although I agree that 640 & 680 are just 40 points apart, it's still a bit disappointing to not see any improvement even after preparing :( .

1) I typically study for 3-4 days a week and about 2-3 hours per day.
2) I took the Full CAT the first time. Skipped AWA the second time.

3) Yes, I still want to touch the 750 mark. I have to do MBA this year under any circumstances and that too from a school within my country. And this school that I mentioned is the only decent one where I am eligible with my amount of work ex. So, even though the average GMAT score of this school is 710, I would prefer to be well above the average to be on the safe side. 710 is just the cutoff score below which I will have to retake my GMAT.
4) Although I haven't booked a slot yet, I would prefer a date around the last week of June.

Hoping for response.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 11:31
Hi tush1992,

With a planned Test Date at the end of June, you have 3 months of potential study time available - which is good. Based on what you've described though, there have been some 'issues' with how you've been studying. The 750+ score is the 98th percentile - meaning that 98% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT) - and you have not been properly training to EARN that type of Score. Thankfully, NO Business School requires a GMAT Score that high - so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" are not the same thing.

To start, you're studying roughly 8 hours a week - and that's not very much study. While no one here knows exactly what you are capable of (as far as your GMAT Score is concerned), to hit your Goal Score, I would suspect that you would need to commit to a consistent study routine of 15-20 hours a week. In addition, working through random practice questions (or sets of questions) does not provide much 'structure' to your studies - and it's not clear whether you're actually focused on learning Tactics, patterns and the little 'secrets' to the GMAT or not.

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
Reading Books vs Practicing Questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 23:29
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi tush1992,

With a planned Test Date at the end of June, you have 3 months of potential study time available - which is good. Based on what you've described though, there have been some 'issues' with how you've been studying. The 750+ score is the 98th percentile - meaning that 98% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT) - and you have not been properly training to EARN that type of Score. Thankfully, NO Business School requires a GMAT Score that high - so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" are not the same thing.

To start, you're studying roughly 8 hours a week - and that's not very much study. While no one here knows exactly what you are capable of (as far as your GMAT Score is concerned), to hit your Goal Score, I would suspect that you would need to commit to a consistent study routine of 15-20 hours a week. In addition, working through random practice questions (or sets of questions) does not provide much 'structure' to your studies - and it's not clear whether you're actually focused on learning Tactics, patterns and the little 'secrets' to the GMAT or not.

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hi,

Thank you so much for replying. From your inputs, I can infer for sure that I will have to study more. Agreed. I will put in 20 hours a week. Unfortunately, I have 6 days a week office culture. So, I will have to put in substantial time into studying on sundays.

Additionally, as you mentioned that my way of studying is not 'structured'. How do I make it 'structured'? Should I study more from textbooks rather than solving questions?

As far as my target goes, I know it may seem on the higher side. But I have scored in 98th and 99th percentile in a number of competitive exams before. Not trying to brag or anything but I need to get into this B School. Just trying to do whatever it takes :grin:
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 21:16
Hi tush1992,

Certain concepts are tested more often on the GMAT than others, so working with study materials that help you to focus on those concepts first would be a good place to start. In addition, it's not clear whether you're actually approaching GMAT questions in the most efficient ways possible or not. By design, most GMAT questions can be solved in more than one way - and your goal when dealing with any individual question is two-fold. First, you want to try to get the question correct if possible (and in a reasonable amount of time). Second, you want to be efficient with how you handle each question (so that you're not wasting time). It's possible that "your way" of approaching the GMAT has gotten you 'stuck' at this score level.

Given your Score Goal, you would likely benefit from a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led), so you should plan to investigate the available options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Re: Reading Books vs Practicing Questions &nbs [#permalink] 28 Mar 2018, 21:16

Reading Books vs Practicing Questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap