Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 10:42 It is currently 08 May 2024, 10:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2340 [117]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [10]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2340 [2]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [5]
Send PM
Re: Reading Comprehension Strategy :- Eliminate errors completely [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
@LogicGuru1 I'm having fun geeking out with you over reading comp.

I used to recommend that my students read the first line AND the last line of each paragraph first, however as I'm sure you realize with some of those arts and literature passages the last sentence can be a total cluster.

It's kind of a gamble, sometimes it's a wonderful summary, sometimes it's a dense ugly mess. You kind of see what I mean?

So now I recommend that strategy if you are dead out of time. To just read the first sentence last sentence and use that information to answer the global questions. It really works well, however its optimal not to be against the wall like that in terms of timing.

I really like the strategy I have of skipping words. Basically just selecting the most relevant words out of the passage, and leaving the rest behind. So if they talk about Applewood Smoked Bacon, I'm writing down bacon.

This works equally well when it's something you're not familiar with. I read a study about how people literally stop learning once they run into a word that they don't know.

And so I encourage my clients to consciously let that go and just focus on what they can get out of it. And it's almost always enough.

Empowering to know that what you don't understand doesn't really matter.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Ï
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
LogicGuru1 wrote:
I have tried almost all the strategy mentioned by majority of GMAT coaches and fellow test takers.
Based on my reading of 480 passages (8-9 passages per day for the last 2 months every evening :) ) I have realised that the "BE A SCHOLAR- read everything and make quick notes" strategy works the best (at least for me).

This is how "BE A SCHOLAR" Strategy works.
1) Look at the number of paragraphs of the passage. You will need as many distinct areas in your notebook to corresponds to this passages.
2) Start reading the passage. FIRST LINE IS IMPORTANT. It gives an idea about what kind of passage you are dealing with
2) Make notes about each paragraph in the designated area , read everything, keeping in mind the transitional words such as since, however, but. Also keep in mind change in the context or topic when no such words are introduced.
3) Keep in mind the changing context and topics from one para to another. WRITE A NOTE TO YOURSELF WHEN THIS HAPPENS (CC= context change. NC= new idea) etc etc
4) Make infographics for long paragraphs with proper terms. THIS WORKS LIKE A CHARM WHEN YOU START ANSWERING QUESTIONS.
5) Make infographics when one info is connected to another info and then to another info. A small algorithm kind of pyramid structure or scattered boxes with directional arrows works best.
6) Read the last line of the passage carefully. Even if it feels inconspicuous compared to the heavy info given in the passage. UNDERSTAND IT.

Voila you are done.
I admit this method takes a bit of time for the first 30 - 40 passages but later , you will develop your own symbols and shortcuts and would understand the entire passage just looking at your notebook. My earlier ERROR RATE was 3 incorrect in every 15-18 questions. Now it is 1 incorrect in 45-50 questions. Now i barely make a mistake in even the densest passage. The rare singular error happens when the answers are particularly similar and i miss something like "Except" or "Not" or "in, im" terms that reverses the meaning to opposite. (invalid valid impossible possible, practical impractical )

I am now proficient in decoding densest GMAT passages about political , business , science, ecology, social science and other fields.

I would like to suggest people who are just starting preparation to go for this approach.

FELLOW MEMBER'S SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME

Thanks for the update. Can you please share where you practice those RC passages .It would be great help if you could share those . Thanks in advance

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
@sabiri who are you addressing here? If you're talking to me, I practice them with my private clients. I've been considering doing podcasts but with admissions season upon us I'm swamped, will probably return to GMAT podcasting in February.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks for the reply . As suggested by logic guru daily dose of 8-9 RC passages is required to master it .Also I would like to know where can I practice in this GMAT club forum . I came to know that there is millions of RC passages updated in the forum .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2340 [0]
Send PM
SabariGirish wrote:
Thanks for the update. Can you please share where you practice those RC passages .It would be great help if you could share those . Thanks in advance

SabariGirish,
There are hundreds of passages in the RC section here in gmatclub. Also there are a few downloadable pdf with hundreds of passages, in case you want to practise offline if your internet is down. Souvik, carcass and a few fellow members have uploaded a good amount of pdf files each with multiple passages and answers. I don't think there is a dearth of passage if you filter the RC section. The hard part is to maintain momentum, interest and motivation while coming across dry or tough passages. But with a little bit of dedication and perseverance RC can be mastered

BEST OF LUCK
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2340 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Another Important fact about "BE A SCHOLAR" strategy is the relatively high success rate with one time investment.

Just imagine you understood a passage completely and by sheer coincidence or design of the GMAT algorithm, you get 5 questions from the passage :-
Q 1) whats the passage about?
Q 2) based on the passage what can be inferred?
Q 3 ) the highlighted word signifies what in relation to the something else?
Q 4) The author is most likely to agree to which of the following statement?
Q 5) what is the tone of the passage?
Q 6) What is mentioned with regard to XYZ in the passaage?
Q7) what is not mentioned in regard to XYZ in the passage.

Now see, If you master the passage then you have 4-5 correct answers in your pocket just by investing a little time .
JUST IMAGINE GUYS 5 CORRECT ANSWERS !!
In verbal section where one answer can boost your potential score from 680 to 700, What difference can 5 correct answers make in your total ?? !!!
Trust me, the time invested in practicing RC is totally worth it.
Just mind the reading speed though, cos GMAT is a timed test and such speed will only come by reading as many varied passages as one can .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Your advice is really helpful for me! I have just finished reading all the passages in the OG 2017 in RC section. I know the feeling of one time understanding reading. It is very important not to reread the passage again and again as it is a total waste of time. So my experience from the practicing is to try to take it slow while reading the passage, pay most attention to the FIRST sentence as it always reflects exactly what the passage is all about. Then everything just comes very natural to me while I go ahead with the rest of the passage if I clearly get the point from the very first sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2340 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
volknguyen wrote:
Your advice is really helpful for me! I have just finished reading all the passages in the OG 2017 in RC section. I know the feeling of one time understanding reading. It is very important not to reread the passage again and again as it is a total waste of time. So my experience from the practicing is to try to take it slow while reading the passage, pay most attention to the FIRST sentence as it always reflects exactly what the passage is all about. Then everything just comes very natural to me while I go ahead with the rest of the passage if I clearly get the point from the very first sentence.

Good to know that ... Also make sure whenever you read any sentence, you keep your attention on meaning changing words such as "however", "but", "conversely", "in contrast to" as well as argument strengthening words "in additional to ", "additionally", "moreover", "in the same vein" and so on. GMAT Passages sometimes starts with an idea but by using these abovementioned words they either develop the idea or argue against that idea.

Also make sure to map what information is being presented in what paragraph (para 1 , para 2, para 3). It will help you to target the correct paragraph in case if you have to revisit the passage to find the answer.

Also create small flow charts that shows the flow of information or idea with in the passage. It makes the understanding the entire passage easy.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1242 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
LogicGuru1

Quote:
4) Make infographics for long paragraphs with proper terms. THIS WORKS LIKE A CHARM WHEN YOU START ANSWERING QUESTIONS.
5) Make infographics when one info is connected to another info and then to another info. A small algorithm kind of pyramid structure or scattered boxes with directional arrows works best.

Is this same as understanding structure/ argument elaborated in Manhattan CR/RC books?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2340 [0]
Send PM
adkikani wrote:
LogicGuru1

Quote:

Is this same as understanding structure/ argument elaborated in Manhattan CR/RC books?

Cannot really comment on that because I did not followed Manhattan too heavily for RC (and not at all for CR)
If you find similarity between the two methods then I would totally agree with you. however mine is a homegrown method based on a lot of practice.
I won't be surprised if it matches with a lot of methods mentioned because it is as successful as any methods in coaching book :)

For the material I consulted and my preparation strategy search this post of mine ---> "gmat-750-end-of-journey-thank-you-all"

All the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I like the approach where you suggest to take, what essentially are, shorthand notes or representations of your understanding of the consumed content. My question though is at what point should I engage in taking notes?

Would you advise doing it at the end of each paragraph summarizing the paras.? My concern with this strategy is that I am afraid I might lose the sense of flow of the author's core point and an understanding of "where is he going with this". On the flipside, if I do it at the end, I risk needing to re-read the previous paragraphs for the small details because that's how the mind consumes and retains information (FIFO - first in first out). Thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2340 [3]
Send PM
Kudos