GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 05:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Really Struggling With CR; Need help with Study Plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Really Struggling With CR; Need help with Study Plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 16:21
Hi everyone,

I'm really struggling with CR and aiming to take my first GMAT in about a month. A little context before I dive into my question. I have been studying for the GMAT since May and have seen some increase (especially in Quant, which is not my background). I was a History major in undergrad (graduated 10 years ago), and am a native English speaker. I am definitely stronger in SC and RC than Quant, but CR is still a struggle for me. I have been working with a Veritas Prep tutor for this time, but we haven't dived into Verbal as much as we have Quant. So for these last 30 days, I really need to increase my Verbal score. I'm baselining between 60-70% correct on Verbal, but CR is really hurting me. I definitely feel comfortable increasing my SC and RC score over this next month combined with all the other studying, but need an efficient plan for CR and I was hoping to get some help from you. My target score is 720+.

I asked my friend who got a 720 on the GMAT, and who did really well on verbal (don’t know his section score). He said that the reason he did so well on critical reasoning is because he studied for the LSAT a few years prior. He said I'm probably having trouble with CR because I'm having trouble with the foundation. He suggested that no amount of practice problems is going to help me if I can't get the logic foundation down for it. He said he has a logic book that he can give me that could be very helpful.

Here's my dilemma. I have almost evert resource possible at my disposal. The problem is prioritizing these resources and attacking them efficiently over the next 30 days.

Books I have: PowerScore CR, OG Guide + OG Verbal Specific Guide, Manhattan Prep CR, Veritas Prep CR, Total GMAT Verbal
Online resources that I have: Magoosh, and could sign up for E-GMAT if really needed

My question is based on these resources, what is the most effective approach in 30 days to increase my CR score? I have worked out of Veritas Prep CR already, and have attempted some of the OG Guide questions for CR. Should I restart with PowerScore then move onto other books? Where should I go after that if so? The help is sincerely appreciated. Thank you!
Magoosh Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Really Struggling With CR; Need help with Study Plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 21:25
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 18:24
broall wrote:
Many recommended Manhattan CR. Why don't you try it? Then go back to OG to practice more. I hope you will earn higher score.

I've been going through those books, but I'm not sure if it gives me enough practice? Reading through it doesn't help me retain information well. I'm better at retaining more information and process by "learning by doing" rather than reading process. I liked Target Test Prep for Quant. Is there a similar resource / study plan that I can use in the next 30 days to help me improve in Verbal? My current Verbal scores on mock tests are low 30's. 31-34 on average. I need to improve them to mid 40's.
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 21:22
boondocks611 wrote:
broall wrote:
Many recommended Manhattan CR. Why don't you try it? Then go back to OG to practice more. I hope you will earn higher score.

I've been going through those books, but I'm not sure if it gives me enough practice? Reading through it doesn't help me retain information well. I'm better at retaining more information and process by "learning by doing" rather than reading process. I liked Target Test Prep for Quant. Is there a similar resource / study plan that I can use in the next 30 days to help me improve in Verbal? My current Verbal scores on mock tests are low 30's. 31-34 on average. I need to improve them to mid 40's.

I see. I think that CR LSAT is really useful but it is hard at the first time. I think you could practice with OG and read those explanation carefully to understand the GMAT logic. You could also read experts' explanations on this forum for those questions. This way is best suit for you right now.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 23:40
Hi boondocks611,

A month is enough to get your CR scores up if you dedicate your time properly. You and your friend have correctly identified that unless the foundation is strong, only solving questions would not help. The thing with GMAT is that it does not test the concepts directly but its application which requires a strong foundation. I would like to know how you approach CR questions. Do you use pre-thinking approach or some other method?

• Learn how Askul improved from a V17 to V40. He mastered our proprietary "Pre-thinking" process in CR to achieve this score. Click here to read his inspiring debrief.

SCORING 720 ON GMAT

You can score a 720 on GMAT in multiple ways. To give you an example, one of the ways to score a 720 is by scoring Q49 and V39. You can target your own sectional and sub-sectional scores using GMAT Planner. You may also read our article on Personalized Study Plans for 100+ Score Improvement to make a detailed study plan to reach your target score. Along with the steps to make a personalized plan, we have also shared sample plans for 3 score ranges, you may adapt any of those to your current situation. Do write to us at support@e-gmat.com if you need any help with it or have any queries regarding the study plan.

Learn Pre-thinking approach for CR

You can sign-up for the free trial and get access to 25+ video lessons and 350+ practice questions. I am sharing direct links to a couple of lessons, you can watch the rest from your Free Trial dashboard.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Really Struggling With CR; Need help with Study Plan &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jul 2018, 23:40

Really Struggling With CR; Need help with Study Plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap