Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Parallelismx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the hu [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sj296 wrote:
Would A option be correct had it been:

, and fatigue among shift workers, and have raised

egmat ExpertsGlobal5

Hi sj296,

That's one way to remove the error in option A, but we can't say whether the modified version of option A would then be better than option C (A might still lose to C on issues like meaning clarity and wordiness).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the hu [#permalink]
How to ***** is A no parallel ? Seriously, answers like this are killing me.

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job,fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

Perfectly parallel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Neochronic wrote:
while is needed as we signalling that it raised something..
reduced lowered fatigue illogically suggests increased fatigue..

dont forget the parallel word.. reduced...sickness.. sleeping.. and fatigue..

clear ?

My doubt is ,:

1. While is a dependent clause marker , so where si the caluse after it ?

thought I could arrive at the anwer choic c by implementing the rules of parallelism.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Hi,

I am unclear about the sentence structure in this question.

Recently implemented “shift-work equations” based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

Meaning:
Shift-work equations have been recently implemented. They are based on studies on the human sleep cycle.
According to the question stem they have reduced 3 things:
-sickness
-sleeping on the job
-fatigue among shift workers

And these equations have raised production efficiency

Error Analysis:
1. SV pair is correct: equations-have
2. Verb is in correct tense.
3. Modifiers are properly placed
4. Parallelism : 3 entities which have been reduced have been joined with a "," & "and" coming together- thus the list has some error.

POE:
We need and to correctly connect the list without a comma before it. C and E take care of this. E has redundancy issue hence is rejected.

Thus correct choice is C.

My question is about the "while raising" part. I understand it cannot be parallel with previous list because it brings in a contrast. But what is the structure of "raising" here...? Is raising a verb-ing modifier which modifies the effect of the previous action of reducing 3 items? It can't be a verb of the subject equations because if we look at it like this that equations have done 2 things: reduced and raised? "raising" does not go with that. Thus I got confused in this step and while marking the answer was debating between A and C. What am I not understanding?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Doesn't the comma before the "and" suggest the last item is an Indempendent Clause?

I thought the "and" in the end of a list could not have a comma before it, otherwise it would suggest a new clause would start from there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 3: 710 Q46 V41
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
The comma before "And" does not necessarily suggest that the last item in the parrallel list be "Independent clause"

AND - is used to join entities

X, & Y - If X is IC then Y needs to be IC to maintain parallelism.

In this case, X,Y, Z, & A - The last element is not parallel with the remaining 3 elements. The last element is out of sync. So, it needs to be removed.

The correct option (C) - does the same. X - Have reduced sickness , Y - Have reduced sleeping, Z - Have reduced fatigue,
A - contrast (represented by While) - Raising production efficiency.

But why not D? I thought D put the sentence in parallel construction.
Thank you in advance!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear R26, I guess you mean the comma after the word “job”. When I look at the sentence, it seems not to be underlined. However, I don’t think you need to worry about this comma. The equations have reduced three things. The second and third thing must be separated by “and”. Whether there is a comma there or not doesn’t matter. Eliminate A, B and D. As mentioned, “was lowered” in E is redundant. Choose C. Fortunately, the GMAT is not a test of punctuation!
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The sentence is in two parallel parts. The first part says "shift-work equations" has 1."reduced sickness", 2. "sleeping on the job",and 3."fatigue.". The second part of the sentence is the result of 1,2, and 3 which is raising production efficiency. Hence raising is the result of these three actions. Hence it should be in " ing " form. The answer therefore cannot be "B" and is "C."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Send PM
I know it changes the meaning, but would a sentence like this be correct?

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and production efficiency in various industries.

Honestly I can't understand the rule used to arrive to choice C... There seem to be 10 different opinions and I couldn't see a solid rule that could be applied in all cases (99% of cases)

Can we have a list with, say 10 elements? "I like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10" ? There is no limit to the number of elements in a list, since they are all parallel, right?

Another one, somebody used this way to see it and this one does make sense to be a solid rule:

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, have reduced sleeping on the job, have reduced fatigue among shift workers, and have reduced have raised production efficiency in various industries. -> Wrong, doesn't make sense, need to change.

Is this way to analyse it correct?

Thank you!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
iliavko wrote:
I know it changes the meaning, but would a sentence like this be correct?

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and production efficiency in various industries.

To say that this sentence changes the meaning, would be too mild. This sentence is actually not making any sense. This is suggesting that recently implemented "shift-work equations" have reduced four things:

i) sickness
ii) sleeping on the job,
iii) fatigue among shift workers and
iv) production efficiency

The reason this does not make sense, is because if sickness, sleeping, and fatigue are reduced, there is no reason why production efficiency should also reduce.

Quote:
Another one, somebody used this way to see it and this one does make sense to be a solid rule:

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, have reduced sleeping on the job, have reduced fatigue among shift workers, and have reduced have raised production efficiency in various industries. -> Wrong, doesn't make sense, need to change.

Is this way to analyse it correct?

Absolutely. In fact, our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the parallelism philosophy through a simplified XYZ deconstruct, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Send PM
yes, yes I understand it makes no sense, but for example purposes, imagine that it does make sense for some reason, then the list would be correct? Is there a limit to the number of elements you can list? No, right?..
But it seems that on Gmat they like to use "1,2 and 3"-lists, so 3elements in parallel and then something else happens.

Let's make the example sentence more logical:

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and labor accidents in various industries. -> would this be correct? Here I don't like the (comma)-And formation, wouldn't it require an Independent clause? I'm a bit confused with this...

And good to know that the XYZ analysis works. Its good to have a checker-rule!

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
One question. Raising is not parallel with have reduced. I think the correct answer would have been: and fatigue among shift workers while they have raised...

Am I right???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
skim wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 233
Page: 690

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

(A) fatigue among shift workers, and have raised

(B) fatigue among shift workers, and raised

(C) and fatigue among shift workers while raising

(D) lowered fatigue among shift workers, and raised

(E) and fatigue among shift workers was lowered while raising

The best answer, C, grammatically states that the equations... have reduced x, y, and i. and have raised efficiency. Choices A and B fail to use and to signal that fatigue among shift workers completes the series begun by have reduced, and so produce awkward and unclear sentences. Both D and E fail to use and to introduce the last item in the list, which is sleeping in these constructions. In E, while raising has no logical referent, producing only the absurd statement that fatigue has raised efficiency.

This is question #134 of the 12th ed OG. I don't understand why in option (D), the OE states: "lowered before fatigue illogically suggests that fatigue actually increased"

On a separate note, what is the difference between "among" and "amongst" in GMAT context? Is there any particular rule pertaining to these two words?

GMATNinja , egmat , VeritasKarishma , MartyMurray

I am finding it difficult to accept C as the answer choice. As per my understanding, "while" is a subordinator and required a bonafide verb which is clearly missing here in option C. Can anybody please help me understand?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
skim wrote:
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

(A) fatigue among shift workers, and have raised

(B) fatigue among shift workers, and raised

(C) and fatigue among shift workers while raising

(D) lowered fatigue among shift workers, and raised

(E) and fatigue among shift workers was lowered while raising

AjiteshArun GMATNinja,

I have a questions here.
Need support to eliminate option A. I am not satisfied with mentioned answers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Harsh2111s wrote:
AjiteshArun GMATNinja,

I have a questions here.
Need support to eliminate option A. I am not satisfied with mentioned answers.
Hi Harsh2111s,

Let's take a look at the list:

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced
(a) sickness,
(b) sleeping on the job,
(c) fatigue among shift workers,
and
(d) have raised production efficiency

The first three are nouns, and make sense with have reduced (have reduced sickness, have reduced sleeping, have reduced fatigue), but after that, we run into a verb phrase (have raised...) instead of a noun, and we end up with have reduced have raised production efficiency as the final element in the list.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
Let's take a look at the list:

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced
(a) sickness,
(b) sleeping on the job,
(c) fatigue among shift workers,
and
(d) have raised production efficiency

The first three are nouns, and make sense with have reduced (have reduced sickness, have reduced sleeping, have reduced fatigue), but after that, we run into a verb phrase (have raised...) instead of a noun, and we end up with have reduced have raised production efficiency as the final element in the list.
[/quote]

But I think have is used to make things parallel.
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping......,fatigue.....(have reduced sickness, have reduced sleeping, have reduced fatigue))and

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have raised production efficiency.

Need some more input.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Harsh2111s wrote:
But I think have is used to make things parallel.
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping......,fatigue.....(have reduced sickness, have reduced sleeping, have reduced fatigue))and

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have raised production efficiency.

Need some more input.
Hi Harsh2111s,

That's one way of looking at it, but then we'd really need two lists, which would in turn mean that we'd expect to see two conjunctions in the sentence.

Equations have reduced (X, Y, and Z), and have raised (B).

To see why it'd be much better to include the second conjunction, check if you'd be comfortable with the following sentence:

Equations have reduced X, Y, and have raised B.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts