Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: Recommendation letter from a politician? [#permalink]
Although schools love those elite figures, it might be a trap for you. As mentioned above, S/he need to be very specific about your skills with real examples. Also make sure that s/he does not delegate this mission to her/his admin office. Most of M7 use third party to verify every aspect in your application and contact your employers and recommenders. For example, you can take Duke which uses 'Re Vera Services, LLC'. You do not want her/him hesitate during the verification check as it will create unnecessary noise about your application. Please read this link:

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/incoming/docu ... n_2012.pdf

Good luck
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
You already got some great pointers regarding this from the other posters, but I would like to add that a lot of high profile politicians have at least some questionable or controversial aspects to them, to their past etc. So I would be very careful, unless you know for sure that the politician in question has no controversial views of any kind, has never been linked to anything people could feel strongly about and so on. I would also advise against it unless there is a real, proven reason for the politician to recommend you, as there are politicians that recommend a lot of people for a lot of things, as has already been mentioned, so it makes sense that a recommendation like that might seem a bit suspicious.

All that said, however, one of the candidates ARINGO (aringo.com) worked with this year had a very low GMAT but worked with us on his application and used a known member of parliament in his country as a recommendation, and that worked for him! (Hard to say how much the recommendation affected the end result, though)

If you want, you can always PM me with more information about the politician in question, and I could try to look them up and give you a more specific opinion based on what I find.

Also keep in mind that the letters of recommendation are not identical from school to school, as each school requires you to answer specific questions. The politician might not be willing to answer questions from several schools (depending on your actual relationship with the politician of course), so if you do intend to apply to several different schools, keep this in mind in order to choose his letter of recommendation for the school where you think it will do most good.
Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot