GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 01:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommendation Letters

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Recommendation Letters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Aug 2018, 05:48
Hello All,

I'm at a crossroad in my applications because of recommendations and who to choose. I've already had some convos with Options 2 and 3 and they've agreed to help me.

I want to know any insights or opinions in choosing Option 3 for any school that requires only 1 rec and Options 2 and 3 for any school that requires 2.
Thank you all for the help.

Option 1
- Current Company - 1 year (2 different managers in that time)

Option 2
- Old Company - 1 year, Manager, Brutally Honest

Option 3
- Old Company - 1 year, Senior Colleague, Mentor

Originally posted by HuaL on 20 Aug 2018, 06:50.
Last edited by HuaL on 21 Aug 2018, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Recommendation Letters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 10:29
Complicated!

Recommendation letters usually have to come from your supervisor. Not sure if the person #3 qualifies as a supervisor/someone responsible for overseeing your performance or if they were just a mentor/adviser. I don't think there are any issues with that person leaving the company or moving on since you have worked there but the main question is whether they were you pier or actually had seniority.

Sometimes in Consulting/MBB the roles are mixed and that may help here in case this person was your team lead/project lead even though you may have reported to someone else. I feel in that case, it would be appropriate. However, if this person was a senior co-worker on the same team, both of you reporting to another person, then it is not helpful.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 06:29
Hi HuaL,

Are you unable to obtain a recommendation from Option 1? While you have listed the option, you are not addressing it as a real option. Some clarification here might be useful.

I agree with @bb's statement; your recommender should be a direct supervisor, someone who can speak, in detail, about you and your work as a professional. A colleague's recommendation may not carry as much weight.

Any school that requires one rec should receive the strongest rec letter - they only get one person's perspective on your character and work ethic. While Option 3 might be less "brutally honest," submitting a letter from a colleague sends the wrong message to the school. Unless, of course, the colleague has had a supervisory role and can speak about your work from a supervisory perspective.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

HuaL wrote:
Hello All,

I'm at a crossroad in my applications because of recommendations and who to choose. I've already had some convos with Options 2 and 3 and they've agreed to help me.

I want to know any insights or opinions in choosing Option 3 for any school that requires only 1 rec and Options 2 and 3 for any school that requires 2.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

SVP
SVP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 18:10
HuaL Just as an FYI, I have had a lot of success with clients who never submit a manager recommendation. One of them is working on the Facebook-WhatsApp merger in Dublin right now for his internship; he's at Wharton and got a scholarship to boot.

I think the school pressures you do that but not a deal breaker...colleague OK if "internal client" and if you serve on a board that would also be a good one. The key is to select someone who can CHAMPION YOU is willing to work openly and can describe IN DETAIL anecdotes that show how you have modeled teamwork, leadership and problem solving (in sum, all the shiz that b-schools are seeking.)

HuaL wrote:
Hello All,

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 00:00
In general, schools are looking for recommenders who know the candidate very well, on the basis of an experience that is:
1) As long as possible.
2) As intense as possible.
3) Experience that is preferably work-related.
The level of excitement that the recommender demonstrates, and the reasons for this excitement (supporting examples), are most important.
The longer and more intense the acquaintance is, the better.
Recommendations that describe the candidate's background in the exact same industry name mentioned in the career plan are preferred.
Recommendations that attest to the candidate's leadership and management background are preferred.

Try to use these guidelines to select the best recommenders for you. For more info on Selecting Recommenders and Letters of Recommendation for your MBA Application, please visit: https://aringo.com/hacking-the-mba-appl ... plication/

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Manager
Manager
S
Recommendation Letters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 06:54
Hi,

While everyone has given you a good perspective, I want to add a couple of points that might help you decide.

1. Definitely look at the quality of examples and the accomplishments these recommenders can quote on your letters. That really matters a lot.

2. Look at the work experience, and the education of your recommenders as well. If you have to choose between an Experienced MBA and a Not-so experienced Techie, I will encourage you to look at the former option.

I could not figure out much from the options you posted on this thread. In an ideal scenario, pick your immediate boss from the current organisation, and the direct supervisor from the previous one.

A senior-colleague is recommended only when you are out of options.

Our GMAT Program- Creating 750+ Scores
Our MBA Consulting- Top Schools and significant Scholarships
PythaGURUS Education
http://www.pythagurus.in

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 07:08
Apologies guys. I had actually edited the details out of the options I had. Thank you for all your input! I think I am all set on this as R1 deadline is approaching.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Recommendation Letters &nbs [#permalink] 28 Aug 2018, 07:08

Recommendation Letters

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap