It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 09:52

Happening Now:

Alleviate MBA app anxiety! Come to Chat Room #2

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recording Agent: Music industry representatives often advanc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 176 [3], given: 623

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
Recording Agent: Music industry representatives often advanc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2014, 02:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:16) correct 27% (01:17) wrong based on 294 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recording Agent: Music industry representatives often advance the claim that “online file sharing,” (which allows someone who purchased a music CD to share contents with others using their computers—at no additional cost), hurts their business.
Since the advent of file sharing, however, music CD sales have actually risen; therefore, file sharing does not hurt the music business. In fact, file sharing seems to have had a positive effect on the music industry.

The argument above is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it

A. is a circular argument, assuming what the argument sets out to prove

B. defies common sense, since people will not pay for music they can acquire for free

C. fails to specify how much music CD sales have risen since the advent of file sharing

D. assumes a causal relationship between variables with a high correlation without examining other potential factors

E. denies the legitimacy of a claim on the basis of the bias interest of those (music industry representatives) making the claim

[Reveal] Spoiler:
HOPE EVRYONE GETS IT RIGHT..!! ALL THE BEST PEEPS !! KUDOS DESIRED BTW :-D :-D
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Last edited by broall on 06 Aug 2017, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question

Kudos [?]: 176 [3], given: 623

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Recording Agent: Music industry representatives often advanc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 08:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 53

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 00:40
vards wrote:
1) Recording Agent: Music industry representatives often advance the claim that “online file sharing,” (which allows someone who purchased a music CD to share contents with others using their computers—at no additional cost), hurts their business.
Since the advent of file sharing, however, music CD sales have actually risen; therefore, file sharing does not hurt the music business. In fact, file sharing seems to have had a positive effect on the music industry.

1.is a circular argument, assuming what the argument sets out to prove

2.defies common sense, since people will not pay for music they can acquire for free

3.fails to specify how much music CD sales have risen since the advent of file sharing

4.assumes a causal relationship between variables with a high correlation without examining other potential factors

5.denies the legitimacy of a claim on the basis of the bias interest of those (music industry representatives) making the claim

Basically the question stem says that the Music industry representative claims that "online file sharing" hurts their business. But CD sales has actually risen with the advent of file sharing.
So it is basically forming a causal relationship. But the author is not considering other reasons which might have caused the CD sales to rise.

Answer D

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu

Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 53

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 21:30
shashankism wrote:
vards wrote:
1) Recording Agent: Music industry representatives often advance the claim that “online file sharing,” (which allows someone who purchased a music CD to share contents with others using their computers—at no additional cost), hurts their business.

1.is a circular argument, assuming what the argument sets out to prove

2.defies common sense, since people will not pay for music they can acquire for free

3.fails to specify how much music CD sales have risen since the advent of file sharing

4.assumes a causal relationship between variables with a high correlation without examining other potential factors

5.denies the legitimacy of a claim on the basis of the bias interest of those (music industry representatives) making the claim

Basically the question stem says that the Music industry representative claims that "online file sharing" hurts their business. But CD sales has actually risen with the advent of file sharing.
So it is basically forming a causal relationship. But the author is not considering other reasons which might have caused the CD sales to rise.

Answer D

Hi, Can you please elaborate the causal relationship in the prompt above clearly?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 154

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 22:34
Casual relationship here basically is that first the author says that CD industries got hurt by the online means what author intentionally want to say that CD sales got decrease because majority of people won't buy it as they get it for free so "CD sales have decrease because of online file sharing "
And then author claims that it has positive impact which means it because of more sharing CD industries have increases their CD sales

So casual relationship between variables means the more online sharing the more CD industry will get benefited which you can't consider to be the sole cause as their might some other factor as well might discounts on CDs, etc which could be the factor which author fail to consider by considering such high correlation " because of more sharing which indirectly means it has increases the CD sales "

Sent from my HTC Desire 816G dual sim using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 154

Re: Recording Agent: Music industry representatives often advanc   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2017, 22:34