Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: Reputational Strength Vs. Alumni Network Strength for Career [#permalink]
3underscore wrote:
The alumni connection is a strange one - if it really works well, it is great. It operates way beyond the time that anyone truly cares that you have an MBA.

That said, I don't think any alumni networks are as strong as claimed.

Interesting advice 3underscore. Care to elaborate on the strength of alumni networks? (I'm not doubting it, I just want more information.)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Don't forget there are two measures for alumni strength. You have the size and the involvement. Having super involved alums doesn't help if they aren't in your desired field. Much like having tons of alums could care less about you as a student.

While everyone says tuck alums are really tight say they are 10 alums in your targe area and you have a 80% success rate in reaching out to them. Compare that to one of the larger schools like Booth, Kellogg, Columbia...where you may have 50 alums and even with a 50% success rate you have 25 contacts vs 8.

All that said, I think my success rate reaching out to alums for networking purposes across all Kellogg PT, EMBA, and FT programs was approaching 100%. Heck my response rate for alums from other top MBA's was probably 90%.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
To be honest, I think a lot of applicants (and current students) overestimate the value of alumni networks in their careers. Can it be of help? Sure, if you're a current student and you reach out to someone who graduated say 1-5 years ago (older alums tend to be less helpful to current students). But it's not some secret society or anything where you're bound by blood to help your fellow "alums" out. It's far more casual than that.

The most valuable part of the "network" is your current classmates - your friends and your friends of friends. Not some random person who happened to graduate at the same school you did, but is like 20+ years older than you.

As a current student, you will likely get way more job leads from your fellow classmates (and friends you may have at other b-schools) than you will by calling up alums who are complete strangers. In fact, beyond traditional on campus recruiting, a good chunk of your job leads will come from your classmates/friends who have the ability to make mutual introductions to people they know.

That's why alumni networks aren't as important as your classmates - when it comes to schools, you want to choose the ones where the environment is best suited to your personality and needs - in plain English, the place where you feel you can make the strongest friendships (not necessarily the "most" friends, but the "strongest" friendships). And also, it's because these friendships and relationships will hopefully endure beyond your time in school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
I'd like to thank everyone for their insightful comments and thoughts.

Cheers, Martin.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts