It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request- Indian Female 26/GMAT630/5years work exp

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Request- Indian Female 26/GMAT630/5years work exp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 00:18
Hi,

I'm planning to apply to schools in the US for fall 2018 intake. Request you to please review my profile and give your valuable feedback.

Background:
Indian Female
Age 26
GMAT 630 (V27, Q49)
GPA- 3.5~55%

Education: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from one of the top 10 colleges in University of Delhi (South Campus).

Work Experience (5 years): 1. worked for 2 years as a Market Research Associate at a technology firm that caters to the MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Events) industry. Was responsible for researching and executing multiple trade shows and conferences per year held all around the world.
2. Co-founded a company that holds workshops for high-school students to promote experiential learning. Been working on it for 3 years now and have worked on all aspects of the business from idea-generation to scaling up.
3. While working on my first startup, co-founded a marketing firm wherein we conduct brand activation and student ambassador programs. Been working on it for 1.5 years now and have worked on all aspects of this business as well.

Extracurriculars: 1. Volunteer at an NGO that works on setting up and running mobile schools in slums. 2. Been training in Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) for over a year.

Post MBA: Aim to work in the US at a consulting firm for 4-5 years before moving back to India to work on my startup.

Need help in narrowing my MBA target schools, I have done that according to my GMAT score but I feel that I have good work experience and that should put me in a better position while applying to schools that have a little higher average gmat score.

PS- Re-taking the GMAT is not an option for me at this stage.

Looking forward to a quick revert.

Thanks in Advance

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Request- Indian Female 26/GMAT630/5years work exp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 07:49
Hi kangsie,

You do have very interesting and strong work experience. The initiative and leadership you've shown will definitely be attractive to schools.

Your academic stats are going to be a concern though -- especially your low verbal score on GMAT. If retaking is really not on option (though I encourage you to reconsider this), have you taken any pre-MBA/supplemental coursework? Especially in your case, taking something like Business Communication, or taking a rigorous quant course, would help to show you can manage the MBA coursework. I strongly recommend this, and would possibly consider delaying your application a year until you can improve this part of your profile.

If you want to apply this year, one other thing I would consider is revising your goals...consulting firms often consider GMAT scores in their recruiting process, so your score could make that tough too. Perhaps working for a nonprofit or an Edtech company, or even a Marketing role, would be seen as a safer option and still be in line with your eventual goals?

As for schools, I would check out some schools in Canada where the GMAT may be less of an issue. In the US, I would check out schools like Tepper, Mendoza, Foster, Emory, Kelley.

Best of luck!
Kate

kangsie wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning to apply to schools in the US for fall 2018 intake. Request you to please review my profile and give your valuable feedback.

Background:
Indian Female
Age 26
GMAT 630 (V27, Q49)
GPA- 3.5~55%

Education: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from one of the top 10 colleges in University of Delhi (South Campus).

Work Experience (5 years): 1. worked for 2 years as a Market Research Associate at a technology firm that caters to the MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Events) industry. Was responsible for researching and executing multiple trade shows and conferences per year held all around the world.
2. Co-founded a company that holds workshops for high-school students to promote experiential learning. Been working on it for 3 years now and have worked on all aspects of the business from idea-generation to scaling up.
3. While working on my first startup, co-founded a marketing firm wherein we conduct brand activation and student ambassador programs. Been working on it for 1.5 years now and have worked on all aspects of this business as well.

Extracurriculars: 1. Volunteer at an NGO that works on setting up and running mobile schools in slums. 2. Been training in Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) for over a year.

Post MBA: Aim to work in the US at a consulting firm for 4-5 years before moving back to India to work on my startup.

Need help in narrowing my MBA target schools, I have done that according to my GMAT score but I feel that I have good work experience and that should put me in a better position while applying to schools that have a little higher average gmat score.

Thanks in Advance

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 08:54
Hi Kate,

Thank you for your response. Your suggestions are really helpful and I’ll definitely consider revising my post MBA goals.

About having a weak verbal score, in my last GMAT test that I’d taken in January 2017 I scored a 620 (V32,Q44). Since I have a better Verbal score in this, do you think schools might look at this score as well?

The list of schools that you have suggested is quite interesting, I had not included these in my list. It’ll be helpful to know how you came up with these names.

Really looking forward to your response.

Thank you!

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 08:56
Hi Kate,

Thank you for your response. Your suggestions are really helpful and I’ll definitely consider revising my post MBA goals.

About having a weak verbal score, in my last GMAT test that I’d taken in January 2017 I scored a 620 (V32,Q44). Since I have a better Verbal score in this, do you think schools might look at this score as well?

The list of schools that you have suggested is quite interesting, I had not included these in my list. It’ll be helpful to know how you came up with these names.

Thank you!

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi kangsie,

You do have very interesting and strong work experience. The initiative and leadership you've shown will definitely be attractive to schools.

Your academic stats are going to be a concern though -- especially your low verbal score on GMAT. If retaking is really not on option (though I encourage you to reconsider this), have you taken any pre-MBA/supplemental coursework? Especially in your case, taking something like Business Communication, or taking a rigorous quant course, would help to show you can manage the MBA coursework. I strongly recommend this, and would possibly consider delaying your application a year until you can improve this part of your profile.

If you want to apply this year, one other thing I would consider is revising your goals...consulting firms often consider GMAT scores in their recruiting process, so your score could make that tough too. Perhaps working for a nonprofit or an Edtech company, or even a Marketing role, would be seen as a safer option and still be in line with your eventual goals?

As for schools, I would check out some schools in Canada where the GMAT may be less of an issue. In the US, I would check out schools like Tepper, Mendoza, Foster, Emory, Kelley.

Best of luck!
Kate

kangsie wrote:
Hi,

Background:
Indian Female
Age 26
GMAT 630 (V27, Q49)
GPA- 3.5~55%

Thanks in Advance

Expert Post
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 09:31
Hi again,
Happy to help! They will certainly keep in mind your higher verbal score, but the overall score matters most. I also should have mentioned that you should plan to write an optional essay, and there you could re-emphasize that higher score, and explain how you use English in your daily life so they can see you are confident.

I was looking for schools where your 630 was in range (in the middle 80% of scores), and also schools where we've had success with past clients who have not had stellar GMAT stats. But those are just some to get you started, there are plenty of options and it's good to consider a range of schools.

Good luck!
Kate

kangsie wrote:
Hi Kate,

Thank you!

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 00:46
Thank you Kate!

Your responses have been extremely helpful.

Have a great day!

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi again,
Happy to help! They will certainly keep in mind your higher verbal score, but the overall score matters most. I also should have mentioned that you should plan to write an optional essay, and there you could re-emphasize that higher score, and explain how you use English in your daily life so they can see you are confident.

I was looking for schools where your 630 was in range (in the middle 80% of scores), and also schools where we've had success with past clients who have not had stellar GMAT stats. But those are just some to get you started, there are plenty of options and it's good to consider a range of schools.

Good luck!
Kate

kangsie wrote:
Hi Kate,

Thank you!

Expert Post
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 08:48
Happy to help! Good luck :-)

kangsie wrote:
Thank you Kate!

Your responses have been extremely helpful.

Have a great day!

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Request- Indian Female 26/GMAT630/5years work exp

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap