Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19738 [199]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1732 [64]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19738 [8]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [5]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V35
Send PM
Researchers conditioned a group of flies to associate a particular odo [#permalink]
Kudos
gvij2017

The reason why B is the correct answer is pretty straightforward:

" The researchers hypothesized that in the presence of the odor, a fly that retains the conditioned association gives off an alarm signal that arouses the attention of any surrounding flies, retriggering the association in them "

As is evident from the above text that the hypothesis was based on the ability of the flies to detect the alarm signals given by other members of their group.

By assumption negation option B says that the flies were merely following other flies and did not infact detect signals. This option throws the hypothesis out the window if negated , hence is the correct answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [3]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Researchers conditioned a group of flies to associate a particular odo [#permalink]
Kudos
B.IF theyy were merely following others, the conclusion stands invalid.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [3]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Researchers conditioned a group of flies to associate a particular odo [#permalink]
Kudos
Understanding the sentence:
Researchers basically trained a group of flies to connect with a particular smell with an electric shock. After some hours, researchers tested the flies both individually and in groups. This test was done to determine if the flies still retained the training.
Individual test result: Flies would not avoid the areas with smell
Theory of researchers: When smell is there, a fly that is trained sends a signal to the other flies like a warning and these flies would then avoid the smell.

A. The flies do not give off odors as alarm signals.
--> This answer is irrelevant on the assumption of the researchers

B. Flies that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were not merely following other flies' movements when tested in a group.
This is the right assumption that makes the hypothesis/theory stand. If the flies tested in the group are merely following the movements of the other flies, then the signal thing which researchers assume does not hold.
Therefore, this is the right assumption.

C. Flies that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were less likely than the other flies to avoid the odor when tested in a group.
This does not tell anything as the statement is trying to compare the flies that did not avoid individually vs other flies in the group that would avoid the smell.

D. Prior to their conditioning, the flies would likely have found the odor used in the experiment to be pleasant.
Irrelevant as the kind of smell is not discussed in the passage

E. An electric shock was used during the flies' conditioning and during the later tests.
Also not relevant for the hypothesis as the theory basically deals with the signal sent by induvial flies

Researchers conditioned a group of flies to associate a particular odor with a weak electric shock. Twenty-four and forty-eight hours later the researchers conducted tests on the flies, both individually and in groups, to determine whether the flies retained the conditioning. When tested individually, the flies were significantly less likely to avoid areas marked with the odor. The researchers hypothesized that in the presence of the odor, a fly that retains the conditioned association gives off an alarm signal that arouses the attention of any surrounding flies, retriggering the association in them and thereby causing them to avoid the odor.

The researchers' hypothesis requires which of the following assumptions?

B. Flies that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were not merely following other flies' movements when tested in a group.
C. Flies that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were less likely than the other flies to avoid the odor when tested in a group.
D. Prior to their conditioning, the flies would likely have found the odor used in the experiment to be pleasant.
E. An electric shock was used during the flies' conditioning and during the later tests.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [2]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Researchers conditioned a group of flies to associate a particular odo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
TrungTiger wrote:
Dear GMATNinjaTwo

I was not able to pick a right one between Choice B&C because I did not understand what they said. Now It seems that I can understand what they wrote:

Choice B: Flies that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were not merely following other flies' movements when tested in a group.
mean:
Flies (let say X) that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were merely following other flies' movements
BUT
Flies X when tested in a group were NOT merely following other flies' movements

Choice C: Flies that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were less likely than the other flies to avoid the odor when tested in a group.
mean:
Flies (let say X) that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were likely the other flies to avoid the odor
BUT
Flies X when tested in a group were LESS likely than the other flies to avoid the odor.

I therefore pick B.
Please correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation from the original statement.

It seems you are trying to make sense but have not understood completely. I guess you might have read these options several times and then trying to figure out what are they saying. Then connect with the right answer to make sense out of it.
In this way, you won't be able to use this learning in next question .
( btw, this is my guess based on some hints: E.g. you said: Flies (let say X) that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were merely following other flies' movements . When individual why would they follow other flies' movements. It makes no sense)

So how to make simple understanding and avoid multiple times reading.

Let's see what C says first:
Quote:

I know it's a bit confusing in my reading. It wil be more confusing if you try to get everthing in first shot.
Here is : How i tacked its meaning:
Flies that did not avoid the odor -- which flies? ok the flies that actually got the shock
when tested individually --ok so these flies were tested invidually.
were less likely than -comapre with whom? I guess the ones that didn't get shock
the other flies -yup as i guessed, but comparison in what?
to avoid the odor when tested in a group. --> i see, to avoid the shock when these flies were tested in group.
So it means:
2 flies: X. flies that get shock Y. the flies that didn't shock .
X are less likely to avoid shock when tested in group.
I see, so when flies are in group , these flies still get shock.
So when the flies are in group, , retriggering the association in them and thereby causing them to avoid the odor. doesn't work.
It mean it weakens the claim.

Now I can analyze more based on my logic reasoning:
If these flies could avoid shock when in group then it would have strengthen the claim.
( or i can say opposite of C: flies when in group are equally likely to avoid odour when tested in group with the flies that did avoid the odour.
In other words , opposite of B says: X and Y are equally likely to avoid shock when in group. But when X and Y are individually then X is less likely to avoid ( or can say X is more likely to get shock)

I hope you can handle B now.

You try it again what B says.
Quote:

FOr your reference here is the meaning:
X when tested individually were not just following movements .
X--> that did not avoid the odor
Think: If they were not just following and still they didn't get shock. So it maybe possible that these flies avoid the odor because other flies might have helped due to retriggering of the association.
So now B make sense and you can see how it fits in the argument.

Key point is: Take the meaning and use logic in your own words. Forget the wording and just see how logic fits in the argument.

I hope it was helpful:)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Kudos
Luckily I got it correct. But I appreciate detailed explanation for selecting B among other options.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
gmatt1476 wrote:
Researchers conditioned a group of flies to associate a particular odor with a weak electric shock. Twenty-four and forty-eight hours later the researchers conducted tests on the flies, both individually and in groups, to determine whether the flies retained the conditioning. When tested individually, the flies were significantly less likely to avoid areas marked with the odor. The researchers hypothesized that in the presence of the odor, a fly that retains the conditioned association gives off an alarm signal that arouses the attention of any surrounding flies, retriggering the association in them and thereby causing them to avoid the odor.

The researchers' hypothesis requires which of the following assumptions?

Passage explanation:
Let us consider there are 6 flies. Now researches trained the flies such that whenever they smell a particular odor (say smell of a nice pie), the flies would associate that smell with a shocking sensation and tend to avoid that area.

Now they conducted two types of tests:
1. Lets say they kept a freshly baked pie in an area. Now out of 6 flies, say 2 flies (A and B) went and sat on pie. They did not recall the shocking sensation on smelling the pie. A and B sat on pie in 7 out of 10 trials and rest sat on pie only in 2 out of 10 trials

2. Now they conducted a similar test with 6 flies. The two flies, A and B, sat on the pie only in 4 out of 10 trials.

Hypothesis: The other flies(other than A and B) sent an alarm signal when they smelled the pie. This alarm signal triggered a shock response in A and B, and hence A and B avoided sitting on the pie

Question type - Assumption
It could be a case, that the other flies did not send a signal. Instead in a group, there generally an alpha fly who the other flies obey. So consider a case, that the shock response was triggered in the alpha fly and it simply moved away from pie. Thus the other flies also followed the fly and moved away from the pie. This suggests that there was no alarm signal.

The argument does not mention the form of alarm signal. It could be a wink, an odor, a sound anything. So this option does not affect the conclusion

Exactly what we thought. It the flies were merely imitating the alpha fly the alarm was never triggered, the shock response was never generated and the hypothesis falls apart Correct answer

This suggests that the flies A and B, sat on pie less number of times than the other flies in the case when tested in the group than when tested in individually. Okay good. That is supporting the argument but it is not an assumption. The information does not shed any light on why they sat less number of times. Is it because they were merely following the leader or the shock sensation was triggered.

This is irrelevant. We are trying to find if the odor triggers the sensation. The type of odor does not affect the argument

This means that we do not know if the results of the action were because of odor triggering the sensation or because of the physical shocks.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood anything!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
hi avigutman - a quick question. While I agree that (B) is the OA (because the argument is assuming, there is NO ALTERNATIVE EXPLANATION to the hypothesis proposed by the author)

As part of my pre-thinking, I was actually focussed on coming up with "Things that need to be true" for the hypothesis to be true. So for example -

Quote:
[b(Option F)]In group settings, flies can communicate with each other.[/b]

I think (option F) also is another necessary assumption in order to conclude the hypothesis.

(F) is different from (B) because (F) is focussed on the author's hypothesis whereas (B) is focussed on "other hypothesises"

Just curious on your thoughts

Let's see, jabhatta2: the hypothesis suggested that
Quote:
a fly that retains the conditioned association gives off an alarm signal that arouses the attention of any surrounding flies

Does that require that flies can communicate with each other?
It requires that flies be capable of giving off an alarm signal, and that flies be capable of noticing said alarm signal. I'm not sure this rises to the level of "communicating with one another". If it does, then yeah, (F) is required. I can't imagine the GMAT offering such an answer choice, though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
ArtVandaley wrote:
B.IF theyy were merely following others, the conclusion stands invalid.

I marked B by POE( by applying negation), bt still did not get the clarity as why B and not A or C is the answer. Request you sincerley if you can help me how to tackle the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
How to eliminate B? Can't understand why C is correct here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
How E could be eliminated ?..Anyone plz explain.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
GMATNinja could you please put forth your opinions about this question.
I got C
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
breatheanddoit wrote:
I got C

Can you explain what led you to choice (C)? The more we know about your thought process, the easier it is for us to help (and the more likely that you'll get a reply!).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
breatheanddoit wrote:
I got C

Can you explain what led you to choice (C)? The more we know about your thought process, the easier it is for us to help (and the more likely that you'll get a reply!).

Since in option c - Flies that did not avoid the odour when tested individually were less likely than the other flies to avoid the odour when tested in a group.
So if the flies that didn't avoid the odour individually didn't avoid it in groups too .
It would indicate that the conditional association and not any other reason is responsible for some flies to respond to the odour
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22 (I)
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V30
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 2.6
Send PM
I got C because I did not negate the question answer choice properly. Can someone confirm if this is the correct negation for B and C? Thanks in advance. Delete Bold and add in italics

C. Flies that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were less more likely than the other flies to avoid the odor when tested in a group.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Conclusion states that The researchers hypothesized that in the presence of the odor, a fly that retains the conditioned association gives off an alarm signal that arouses the attention of any surrounding flies, retriggering the association in them and thereby causing them to avoid the odor.

Now if the flies were merely following the route of the other flies then the conclusion does not hold true.

Other options do not have any effect on the conclusion

Hence B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Dear GMATNinjaTwo

I was not able to pick a right one between Choice B&C because I did not understand what they said. Now It seems that I can understand what they wrote:

Choice B: Flies that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were not merely following other flies' movements when tested in a group.
mean:
Flies (let say X) that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were merely following other flies' movements
BUT
Flies X when tested in a group were NOT merely following other flies' movements

Choice C: Flies that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were less likely than the other flies to avoid the odor when tested in a group.
mean:
Flies (let say X) that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were likely the other flies to avoid the odor
BUT
Flies X when tested in a group were LESS likely than the other flies to avoid the odor.

I therefore pick B.
Please correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation from the original statement.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
The researchers hypothesized that in the presence of the odor, a fly that retains the conditioned association gives off an alarm signal that arouses the attention of any surrounding flies, retriggering the association in them and thereby causing them to avoid the odor.

What is the necessary assumption here? For the hypothesis to remain intact, we need an unstated assumption confirming the alarm signal did indeed arouse the attention of the surrounding flies -- not something else.

A -- This goes against the researchers' hypothesis.

B -- If flies were merely following other flies' movements when tested in a group, then we have reason to doubt the researchers' hypothesis. We definitely need this statement in order for the hypothesis in remain intact.

C -- This is a common trap in assumption questions. This statement is a distinction within the group of flies, but it is not relevant to the researchers' hypothesis.

The scientists hypothesize that in the presence of the odor, a fly that retains the conditioned association gives off an alarm signal that arouses the attention of any surrounding flies, retriggering the association in them and thereby causing them to avoid the odor. Whether flies that did not avoid the odor when tested individually were less likely than the other flies to avoid the odor when tested in a group is not important.

D - Irrelevant -- we're not interested in flies prior to their conditioning.

E - Not a necessary assumption -- we're told the flies were conditioned to associate a particular odor with a weak electric shock. An electric shock does not have to be used during the later tests.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts