GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 Jan 2020, 22:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Researchers have concluded from a survey of people aged 65 that emotio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Researchers have concluded from a survey of people aged 65 that emotio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 05:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:36) correct 21% (02:01) wrong based on 310 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Researchers have concluded from a survey of people aged 65 that emotional well-being in adulthood is closely related to intimacy with siblings earlier in life. Those surveyed who had never had any siblings or who said that at college age they were emotionally distant from their siblings were emotionally less well adjusted at 65 than were those who had been close to at least one brother or sister.

If the researchers’ conclusion is accurate, it follows that

(A) some people who attended college as young adults are likely as a result to be emotionally better off at age 65

(B) the emotional well-being of people aged 65 depends on the emotional well-being of their siblings

(C) it is closeness to siblings rather than just having siblings that is more relevant to people’s emotional well-being at age 65

(D) people who are emotionally well off at college age are more likely to be emotionally well off at age 65 as well

(E) intimacy with siblings is more important to people at college age than it is at age 65

Similar Question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/researchers- ... 81017.html

S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: ISB '20
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Re: Researchers have concluded from a survey of people aged 65 that emotio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 20:16
It’s a cause and effect relationship
Fact:
Not Close ------ less well adjusted ( less well being)
Conclusion
Well being----- Close

A: some people who attended college as young adults are likely as a result to be emotionally better off at age 65: (Nothing about closeness/ Siblings) Eliminate
B: the emotional well-being of people aged 65 depends on the emotional well-being of their siblings ( Nothing about closeness with siblings) Eliminate.
C: it is closeness to siblings rather than just having siblings that is more relevant to people’s emotional well-being at age 65
Closeness with siblings is important factor in emotional well being.. Good answer Hold.
D: people who are emotionally well off at college age are more likely to be emotionally well off at age 65 as well ( nothing about siblings or reason of well being related to siblings) Eliminate.
E: intimacy with siblings is more important to people at college age than it is at age 65
Comparing intimacy at different age group is out of scope.. Eliminate.

Best Answer C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge
Re: Researchers have concluded from a survey of people aged 65 that emotio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 20:47
(A) some people who attended college as young adults are likely as a result to be emotionally better off at age 65 > It is Neutral Option not supporting our conclusion in any way

(B) the emotional well-being of people aged 65 depends on the emotional well-being of their siblings > Irrelevant

(C) it is closeness to siblings rather than just having siblings that is more relevant to people’s emotional well-being at age 65 > Correct

(D) people who are emotionally well off at college age are more likely to be emotionally well off at age 65 as well > Irrelevant

(E) intimacy with siblings is more important to people at college age than it is at age 65 > Weakens
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 01:28
(A) some people who attended college as young adults are likely as a result to be emotionally better off at age 65 - irrelevant.

(B) the emotional well-being of people aged 65 depends on the emotional well-being of their siblings - irrelevant.

(C) it is closeness to siblings rather than just having siblings that is more relevant to people’s emotional well-being at age 65 - correct.

(D) people who are emotionally well off at college age are more likely to be emotionally well off at age 65 as well - we cannot really assume this from the given argument. Eliminate.

(E) intimacy with siblings is more important to people at college age than it is at age 65 - irrelevant.

Thus, C is the best.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 02:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Researchers have concluded from a survey of people aged 65 that emotio   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2020, 02:59

Researchers have concluded from a survey of people aged 65 that emotio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics