GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 16:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Sep 2018, 21:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:00) correct 51% (01:00) wrong based on 1605 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be trained to communicate as humans.

A) are able to be trained to communicate as humans

B) were able to be trained to communicate as humans

C) can be trained to communicate like humans can

D) could be trained to communicate as humans

E) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do

hey ya......

Originally posted by nakib77 on 25 Nov 2005, 11:37.
Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Sep 2018, 21:44, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 13:50
D is absolutely not correct. There's a big difference between "as humans" (meaning "in the role of humans") and "as humans do" (meaning "in the same way as humans"). E is the only viable answer. Don't let the word "being," which often serves as a red flag for awkward constructions, immediately put you off of any answer. There are certainly better ways than E to express the thought (how about "can be trained to communicate"?), but all the other choices are wrong.

If you want a better (official) question about dolphins, try this one. :) https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-results- ... 24015.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Premium Member
Re: Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2013, 00:06
kalpal wrote:
sumanmaparu wrote:
nakib77 wrote:
Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be trained to communicate as humans.

can any SC guru help settle the duel between choice D & choice E

A, B, D are wrong because -- When you use as it should be followed by a clause because you are making comparison here
C is wrong because -- Like cannot be followed by a clause
E is correct because -- As is followed by a clause and its a comparison

Hi Kalpal

I just want to correct your answer a little bit.

AS is either a conjunction or preposition, depending on the context

*Conjunction: AS + Clause
For example: He plays soccer well as his father does.

* Preposition: AS + Noun/Noun phrase
For example: I think of you AS my friend.

The main reason why A, B, and D are wrong is the short of auxiliary verb
If we say: Dolphins are able to be trained to communicate as humans ==> the meaning may shift: Dolphins are able to be trained to communicate as humans [are able to be train..].
To emphasize verb "communicate", we need auxiliary verb - "do" to make the comparison sensible. Only E is correct: Dolphins are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

General Discussion
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2005, 12:57
This is good one :)

I take on 'E'.

A, B & D - 'as humans' is wrong
C - sounds as if 'humans can be trained to communicate'
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2005, 01:22
OA is E.

we are comparing two actions here so as will be used instead of like.

so C is out.

only E maintains the correct comparison.
dolphins are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do(communicate)

hey ya......

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 07:58
A case of the use of proper diction and like vs as.

a) are able to be trained to communicate as humans … are able to be is not the preferred diction. Can be or could be is the right ; drop
b) were able to be trained to communicate like humans --- were able to be is still worse uses wrong tense as well as wrong diction; drop
c) can be trained to communicate like humans can …. -[color=#0000ff]Like humans can - is a clause. Like can not be used to compare clauses.

d) could be trained to communicate as humans ---- correct choice. – As - can be used to denote positions.
e) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do --- are capable of being trained is poor diction.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2013, 15:21
sumanmaparu wrote:
nakib77 wrote:

can any SC guru help settle the duel between choice D & choice E

A, B, D are wrong because -- When you use as it should be followed by a clause because you are making comparison here
C is wrong because -- Like cannot be followed by a clause
E is correct because -- As is followed by a clause and its a comparison
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2013, 16:54
nakib77 wrote:

In A and D, to communicate AS HUMANS implies that the dolphins actually would BE humans when they communicate. Mary works as a doctor means that Mary actually IS a doctor.
Eliminate A and D.

In B, were trained should not be in the past tense, since the sentence is discussing an ongoing possibility: whether dolphins ARE capable of being trained.
Eliminate B.

In C, like is being used -- incorrectly -- to compare actions. LIke is used to compare nouns; AS is used to compare actions.
Eliminate C.

Hence E is the perfect answer.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 10:31
Ellipse wrote:
Q: Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be trained to communicate as humans.

a) are able to be trained to communicate as humans
b) were able to be trained to communicate like humans
c) can be trained to communicate like humans can
d) could be trained to communicate as humans
e) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do

Comparison can be made between two things:-
1) Dolphins, Like humans, can be trained
2) Dolphins can be trained, as humans can be.

a) are able to be trained to communicate as humans. 'Ability' is compared with 'humans'
b) were able to be trained to communicate like humans 'Ability' is compared with 'humans'
c) can be trained to communicate like humans can 'like' is used to compare actions
d) could be trained to communicate as humans Correct choice
e) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do Use of being is generally wrong on GMAT

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 20:56
Dear expert GMATNinja, could you please help explain usage of "as humans" in correct answer (D)?
As far as I'm concern, [as + noun] is right only when subject of the following clause is that noun. For example,
As a teacher, Mary could assign as many exercises as she wants.
In the above example, Mary is a teacher. But in (D), how can dolphins are humans? Please shed some light. Thank you.

Besides, searching on google, I found out that in other GMAT forums, it is said that OA is (E). I wonder what actual correct answer is??
This debatable question is from Kaplan. Should I neglect further question from this source from now on? I will appreciate your advice on this.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 01:21
DmitryFarber wrote:
D is absolutely not correct. There's a big difference between "as humans" (meaning "in the role of humans") and "as humans do" (meaning "in the same way as humans"). E is the only viable answer. Don't let the word "being," which often serves as a red flag for awkward constructions, immediately put you off of any answer. There are certainly better ways than E to express the thought (how about "can be trained to communicate"?), but all the other choices are wrong.

If you want a better (official) question about dolphins, try this one. :) https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-results- ... 24015.html

Finally, thank you so much DmitryFarber.

So, just to be clear, here exists a similarity comparison instead of role/position comparison? Right?

Never give up!

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Darden '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 04:47
daagh wrote:
A case of the use of proper diction and like vs as.

a) are able to be trained to communicate as humans … are able to be is not the preferred diction. Can be or could be is the right ; drop
b) were able to be trained to communicate like humans --- were able to be is still worse uses wrong tense as well as wrong diction; drop
c) can be trained to communicate like humans can …. -[color=#0000ff]Like humans can - is a clause. Like can not be used to compare clauses.

d) could be trained to communicate as humans ---- correct choice. – As - can be used to denote positions.
e) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do --- are capable of being trained is poor diction.

Hi Daagh,

Isn't there a redundancy of possibility and could in the Option D. Kindly clarify my doubt. Thanks!
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 05:03
mkabra123 wrote:
Hi Daagh,

Isn't there a redundancy of possibility and could in the Option D. Kindly clarify my doubt. Thanks!

Hi mkabra123 ,

Yes, that's true. I am also doubtful about this option. Ideally possibility and could should not have come together as it leads to redundancy.

But remember our aim is always to select the best possible option. Hence, D is the best possible answer.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 02:08
pulkitsharma9991, the distinction you're making isn't one I use a rule for. I think what you're asking is whether the comparison with "as" is serving to say that two things work in similar ways or to say that two things appear in similar roles/capacities. It's definitely the first. We are comparing the way that dolphins communicate with the way humans communicate. Or, more precisely, we are saying that dolphins might learn to use the same method of communication that we use. If we were comparing roles, we'd be saying that dolphins fill a similar role to ours, and there's no indication of such a role in the sentence. However, D absurdly suggests that dolphins might communicate "as humans." This would mean that dolphins were actually *being* humans. It's the same way one might say that "I act as an intermediary" or "soy milk can be used as a substitute for dairy milk." Notice that in these cases, I actually *am* an intermediary and soy milk really *is* a substitute. Dolphins are not really humans, so D is quite impossible.

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 09:47
DmitryFarber wrote:
pulkitsharma9991, the distinction you're making isn't one I use a rule for. I think what you're asking is whether the comparison with "as" is serving to say that two things work in similar ways or to say that two things appear in similar roles/capacities. It's definitely the first. We are comparing the way that dolphins communicate with the way humans communicate. Or, more precisely, we are saying that dolphins might learn to use the same method of communication that we use. If we were comparing roles, we'd be saying that dolphins fill a similar role to ours, and there's no indication of such a role in the sentence. However, D absurdly suggests that dolphins might communicate "as humans." This would mean that dolphins were actually *being* humans. It's the same way one might say that "I act as an intermediary" or "soy milk can be used as a substitute for dairy milk." Notice that in these cases, I actually *am* an intermediary and soy milk really *is* a substitute. Dolphins are not really humans, so D is quite impossible.

DmitryFarber Agreed Sir. We are talking about similarity here. The rule I followed was when as occurs for similarities, it should occur with a verb(which isn't present in D). Hence, E. I hope my logic is right.

Never give up!

S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 22:45
Ah, I see what you're saying. The way I think of the rule, "as" compares clauses, so we come to the same conclusion: the verb "do" is needed.

Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 11:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be &nbs [#permalink] 09 Sep 2018, 11:27

Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap