GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to h

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to h  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 04:53
Taku wrote:
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates, lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolism generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate.

The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.

(B) The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight.

(C) The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.

(D) Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents.

(E) Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.

Premise 1 : Very overweight people (↓ metabolic rate) lose weight via dieting, metabolism remains unchanged.
Premise 2 : Very overweight people burn fewer calories < normal people.
Conclusion : Very overweight people regain weight until body size = metabolic rate

(A) Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.

Negate (A), Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight DID NOT continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.

Upon negating (A), it weakens the argument.

The correct answer is (A).

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to h  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 20:20
GMATNinja Sir, can you please help me with this question? I can understand the stimulus but not able to get/reason the answer. Also, not able to eliminate the other answer choices by POE.
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 03:06
(E) Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.

I am still unsure how to negate E. If people have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it then it supports the conclusion. However, if they do not have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it, then it seems to me that it will breakdown the conclusion.

I am not sure what am I missing here.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 22:09
Hi expert.

I'm a little bit confused with the logic of negation.

For choice A , how to correctly negate the sentence.

In my opinion, it can be negated as:

"Not few = (Many) overweight people ..... continue to consume fewer calories ...."
or
"Not few = (None) overweight people ..... continue to consume 'more' calories ...."
(as suggested by amit2k9)

In addition , in the amit2k9 's negated version , why we need to change the word from ' fewer' to 'more' ?

Expert please explain how exactly to negate the sentence correctly.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 03:06
B D and E are clearly irrelevant. C actually contradicts the passage. The passage says that very overweight people have slower metabolism rates and that is what causes them to burn fewer calories, per day. C says the opposite, that the weight of the individual matters less than how much they eat.

So A is the correct answer.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 03:34
ballest127 wrote:
Hi expert.

I'm a little bit confused with the logic of negation.

For choice A , how to correctly negate the sentence.

In my opinion, it can be negated as:

"Not few = (Many) overweight people ..... continue to consume fewer calories ...."
or
"Not few = (None) overweight people ..... continue to consume 'more' calories ...."
(as suggested by amit2k9)

In addition , in the amit2k9 's negated version , why we need to change the word from ' fewer' to 'more' ?

Expert please explain how exactly to negate the sentence correctly.

Thank you.

As discussed in this post, the problem with the negation technique is that some answer choices don't have obvious "opposites", and it's easy to come up with an incorrect negated statement.

Take statement (A) for example:

Quote:

If we negate this, do we end up with "many" overweight people? "No" overweight people? "More" calories? Trying to properly "negate" this statement is confusing.

Instead, you could think of it in a simpler way: what happens if statement A is simply not assumed?

Well, in that case, it is POSSIBLE that many of those people (overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight) tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level. Therefore, those people would NOT "regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate," contradicting the conclusion.

Put another way: by assuming that (A) IS true, we eliminate that possibility. This allows us to logically arrive at the conclusion. If, however, (A) is NOT assumed, then the logic does not hold.

The conclusion of the argument depends on statement (A), so that is the correct answer.

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 09:58
Hi GMATNinja,

Thank you for your kind explanation on my question.

However, I am still confused by some part of your explanation.

You recommend that we don't use negation and state that " Instead, you could think of it in a simpler way: what happens if statement A is simply not assumed? "

I'm not sure that the above approach is the same as "negation".

In addition, you change the word "few" to "many" (of those people .....).
Can I assume that you negate it.

Please explain.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2019, 01:27
ballest127 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Thank you for your kind explanation on my question.

However, I am still confused by some part of your explanation.

You recommend that we don't use negation and state that " Instead, you could think of it in a simpler way: what happens if statement A is simply not assumed? "

I'm not sure that the above approach is the same as "negation".

In addition, you change the word "few" to "many" (of those people .....).
Can I assume that you negate it.

Please explain.

Check out this post for example of negation gone wrong. The problem with negation comes when it is used as a way to side-step thinking really hard about an answer choice. If you aren't being careful with your negation and lazily add/remove a no/not or swap something like "all" with "none/few/most", you might not be truly "negating" the answer choice.

I find that asking, "What is possible if this is NOT assumed?" instead of "What is the opposite of this statement?" can help students avoid that pitfall. This is, admittedly, a subtle difference, and those questions often have the same or similar answers. Just make sure that, when applying negation, you are thinking very carefully about what you are doing instead of lazily "multiplying the sentence by negative 1", so to speak ;).

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2019, 18:21

Negating (A):
A lot of overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.

Answer choice (A) is correct as it attacks the argument that "newly thin persons will...ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate."

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to h   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2019, 18:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to h

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics