GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

     November 22, 2018

     November 22, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

     November 23, 2018

     November 23, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Mar 2015
Posts: 41
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Re: Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 21:02
I misunderstood the subject as 'discolored layer of varnish'.
Its no doubt that they are correct and hence only option left is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 371
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 20:37
blueseas wrote:
Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.

A. If
B. if it is
C. if they are
D. when
E. when it is



What "They" is referring to? No antecedent for "they"
They can not refer to colors.
Color can't be allowed to do something, it is a person who is allowed to do xyz.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8574
Location: Pune, India
Re: Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 03:04
abrakadabra21 wrote:
blueseas wrote:
Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.

A. If
B. if it is
C. if they are
D. when
E. when it is



What "They" is referring to? No antecedent for "they"
They can not refer to colors.
Color can't be allowed to do something, it is a person who is allowed to do xyz.


"they" refers to "restorers".

Restorers say that if they are allowed to ...

They are the people who restore paintings.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1084
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 10:55
blueseas wrote:
Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.

A. If
B. if it is
C. if they are
D. when
E. when it is


The answer is E
We need a subject for the sentence to make sense .
Here C is the correct choice
A we need verb
B it can not refer to researchers as they are humans
C correct
D when is wrong as it is used to show time
E same as D and it is wrong .
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Nov 2017
Posts: 11
Re: Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 19:55
VeritasKarishma wrote:
abrakadabra21 wrote:
blueseas wrote:
Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.

A. If
B. if it is
C. if they are
D. when
E. when it is



What "They" is referring to? No antecedent for "they"
They can not refer to colors.
Color can't be allowed to do something, it is a person who is allowed to do xyz.


"they" refers to "restorers".

Restorers say that if they are allowed to ...

They are the people who restore paintings.


Hi Karishma,

Can u explain why option B is wrong, In some sentences we dont have any referent for "it" such as "it is difficult to understand why some people behave..."
And can u also explain how can we recognize such difference (where we need to have some referent to "it" vs its correct to have no referent to "it")
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 167
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 07:31
ThisIsWater wrote:

Hi Karishma,

Can u explain why option B is wrong, In some sentences we dont have any referent for "it" such as "it is difficult to understand why some people behave..."
And can u also explain how can we recognize such difference (where we need to have some referent to "it" vs its correct to have no referent to "it")



hey checkout this link
I think it will clear your doubt
https://gmatclub.com/forum/restorers-say-that-if-allowed-to-remove-and-replace-the-discolored-155973.html#p1682299
_________________

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored &nbs [#permalink] 31 Oct 2018, 07:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.