GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Retake for insead application?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Retake

• 75% [3]
  • 25% [1]
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 4
Retake for insead application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 May 2018, 17:55
Hi everyone

Needing some advice on retaking the gmat.

I have done the GMAT twice - first time scoring 700 (40V, 45Q) and the second time (a trainwreck...) scoring 660 (40V, 42Q).

I did quite a lot of work between 1 and 2, including getting a tutor and had massively improved my practice scores (consistently scoring 70th percentile and above on the quant). Needless to say, I was very disappointed with my second gmat. I am nervous my first score is too low for insead given their 70th percentile guidance. I do feel I should be able to crack the 70th percentile based on my skills but clearly have an issue with nerves on the day. I am also running into serious gmat fatigue.

Looking forward to your advice!

Originally posted by Aus2018 on 15 Feb 2018, 22:50.
Last edited by Aus2018 on 13 May 2018, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37
Re: Retake for insead application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 23:05
Aus2018 wrote:
Hi everyone

Needing some advice on retaking the gmat.

I have done the GMAT twice - first time scoring 700 (40V, 45Q) and the second time (a trainwreck...) scoring 660 (40V, 42Q).

I did quite a lot of work between 1 and 2, including getting a tutor and had massively improved my practice scores (consistently scoring 70th percentile and above on the quant). Needless to say, I was very disappointed with my second gmat. I am nervous my first score is too low for insead given their 70th percentile guidance. I do feel I should be able to crack the 70th percentile based on my skills but clearly have an issue with nerves on the day. I am also running into serious gmat fatigue.

Otherwise I have a pretty strong profile - M/B/B and good undergraduate marks from a top university in Aus.

Looking forward to your advice!

I'd say 700 is enough. The GMAT is only one component of the application. Especially if you don't need it to compensate low uni undergrad scores. Concentrate on the rest of your application; the essays, etc...

cheers, Nche
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GPA: 2.5

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 06:26
I also think 700 is enough.
INSEAD offers a lot of room to highlight other aspects of your profile. Would suggest to focus on that.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 18:39
Thanks for your responses!

What do you think is the miminum quant for insead? The guidance note of 70% certainly seems very high (particularly for someone not as quantitatively orientated like myself!)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 22:22
INSEAD recommend that applicants should aim for at least the 70th percentile for both Q and V.

However, they note this is just one of many factors. I guess this is best highlighted by looking at the decision tracker and looking at those who have been accepted and you'd note many don't match the above requirement.

700 is a great score and your Q and V are solid so I wouldn't stress. Like the others said, focusing on the other parts of the application would be of greater value to you and your admission chances.
INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 22:46
The way I would answer this is what kind of time are you working with, which round are you applying to? Do you have less than 2 months on the board then by all means maximize your application, it's pretty long one and so doing the application well for INSEAD is rarely done and also really differentiates you. So that is within your locus of control assuming your recommendations will be good. However...it is a little bit difficult to pass up the opportunity to improve your test score when you said your practice exams came up massively. I taught GMAT verbal for 18 years and clients taking the exam post tutoring the second time yielded very different results. Guess I would ask you what is the reason that you feel you bombed the test the second time, and is that something that you think you could fix easily? If it's something like test-taking anxiety then probably no... however the fact that you got a better score the first time really makes me feel as though there might be an opportunity there. So make sure to develop a wonderful stellar application that's going to garner their interest, nobody actually recruits a test score without being interested in the candidate but if you have the time I would take another stab.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Retake for insead application? &nbs [#permalink] 22 Feb 2018, 22:46

Retake for insead application?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap