Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: Retake with 710? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb wrote:

It would be a good plan to get 750+ on your retake, so if you don't feel you can improve at least 30 points and hopefully more, I would argue for not bothering but if you wanted to play the safest game and have the time, then go for it.

Hi mgogmat,

I agree with bb, retaking the test to score 10 points more doesn't seem worth it, especially with the standard deviation meaning you could have easily gotten 700 or 720 with just one extra correct guess or one more trap fallen into. If you can move the needle 30+ points, then it's worth a retake. If not, I think you're better off concentrating on other aspects of your application.

I always find it somewhat disheartening to see people score 710 (92nd percentile overall) and still not feel like it was enough. You should be celebrating your achievement, but instead you're contemplating a retake. Adversity makes us stronger, I guess, but I still feel for you in this situation.

Best of luck!
-Ron
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
I myself got 710 and had this question running through my unstable neurons for some time. I even had time to prepare again as I m shooting next season. And I belong to one of the most competitive group.

Still I decided not to retake it because of some of the reasons mentioned by Ron above. Other reasons were some personal commitments. I did not want to stop my life again for something that is merely one aspect of your application. There are so many things to do in life, better go for it. Better spend 3 months on charity work than retaking it. Even if you do not mention it in application, the volunteer work would bring fruitful results to your overall personality that will enrich you for rest of your life.

If the Bschool does not take you with 710 then it is not because of your low score, but because of your incompetent application. But if you had submitted the same application with 750-760, the gmat score might have had overwhelmed some of your weaknesses.

It is still a tough and personal choice !!

PS: The reason why MBA consultants say you better retake is to increase the probability of your admission in case you take professional help. Gmat above 700 can never be the sole deciding factor unless you have a incompetent application or belong to a competitive group Eg Indian IT Male.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all for your responses. I think this helps clear things up for me a bit. I am going to sit on the idea for another week before deciding one way or the other. As of now though, I am leaning towards a retake. Thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
this was a major issue of mine. honestly, my personal max out on the gmat is probably like a 750 assuming i have the test day where everything falls in line. If i took again and played to my skill level, i'd probably get a 730.

I decided not to go again because I was over 80 on each side and had a yr long battle with the exam.

this is the real answer, IMO: if you can score a 740+ you should do it again. If you can't it's just not worth it. I think most of the top school, HSW excluded are right at 710 or between 710 and 720 on average. From 690 and lower (probably more like 680, but that 7 looks so much bettter) do something else to make up for it, 700 to 740 they say its check the box, from 750 and above its give this applicant minimal extra points for crushing the test.

So my take again: b/c you are an over 80 80 split its not much help unless you probably hit 750. if youre sitting around killing time though, why not give it a try and see if it works out. if you need to be working harder at your job to get awards/promotions or adding leadership efforts in the community do that instead before app season starts.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So all, I have decided to give it another go and shoot for a higher score. I have the time and the bandwidth right now, so I figure I might as well. I also really feel like I can do a lot better in the math section.

With that said, what do you all recommend for new study materials? I have the Kaplan higher score guarantee (which I think would allow me to retake my online course for free), but I just about used all of the resources (CATs and practice problems). Are there any books that come highly recommended? Thanks again for all your responses.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts