Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31903 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Retaking GMAT within 1 or max 1.5 month [#permalink]
In my opinion, e-GMAT's verbal is the only resource you need. And as you are currently 100% working on GMAT, 4 - 6 weeks is good enough to improve your score. One question is are you able to focus on the verbal question completely? If SC, do you know what meaning the sentence convey? If RC, are you able to understand what the passage is all about? Make sure you are fine with the basics.

Suspend using the timers for one week - use all the time you want to answer the question using the prescribed process. Do quant mocks from gmat club when you are frustrated and then get back to the verbal questions.

Focus is the key - I am still confused on the rules of parallelism and use of idioms, but I still managed to score a 40 in verbal! Calm down and work hard. GMAT can be conquered.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
binoyvalson - I do understand what the passage or the stem is trying to convey me but however when it comes to mock and i see the clock ticking i desperately try to look for the rule - It may be comma which rule or modifier or parallelism - I just try to look for these errors and end up hurting myself because i just cannot find them and i think this is what happened with me in the official GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Going piece by piece -
1- It's been 4.5 months since i have been studying for GMAT.
2- Study materials which i have used so far are - MGMAT Set, OG's and for Mocks - Veritas,Gprep,Mgmat
3- This is the part which i am so confused about - For Veritas my Avg Score was 690 with breakup Q-49 V-36, For MGMAT - Avg Score 650 Q-47 V-33 and for Gprep Avg Score 710 - Q-49 V-37
4- My goal score is 700 and nothing more and i am being honest about this (Q-49 V-35 Exact 700 and i'll be the happiest person ever)
5- I am planning to apply on the first round for the next year intake. Intakes are from May starting.
6- Schools - Rotman,Ivey,Schulich,Sauder,Melbourne. Main Focus is Canada and especially Rotman as i want to major in Supply chain.
P.S Somehow if i score 700+ then only ill go for US(kelley,Simon or Yale)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Sakshij0694 wrote:
Hi All,
I recently appeared for GMAT and merely managed to score 580 with breakup Q-49 V-18 - This was heart wrenching for me as consistently i had been scoring well on my GMAT Mocks and now here I am with this score.
Nonetheless what's done is done.
Now this has made me very scared and put me in a dilemma if i can ace Verbal or not.

Please help me with few of my questions~
Post GMAT, I spoke to many of my friends who are already done with their GMAT and they have recommended me to take EGMAT for Verbal.

1- I know i am very weak in Verbal - would EGMAT help me to ace Verbal in 1.5 month as i have already spent a huge load of money with my coaching.
2- During the Exam i was already aware of the fact that i am just for the sake of marking the answers i was marking them - I was not sure of any answer in Verbal Part.
3- I scored 2 in IR which i was not shocked about because till the last day i did not study for IR as my "Coaching Institute" had said that it will be very easy and that i would ace it easily. -"Which did not happen in my case"
4- I went through only 1 template of "Chinese Burned" for AWA which i memorized so finely that i literally pasted it like CTR C - CTR V (Would really appreciate if any faculty could help me with this too)

Any lead and advice would be really helpful as it's been already 4 months of my preparation and seeing this score was really dis-heartening.

For GMAT i quit my job too to perform well.

Please guide me further.

Hi Sakshij0694,

First of all congraulations on a great Quant score. E-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live are both amazing courses that can really help you improve your scores.

However, given how close your GMAT date is, I personally do not think one should adopt any new method on the final leg of their GMAT Preparation. It may be nice to give a couple of mocks (the official ones) and work on your weaknesses, but trying something new might not work in anyone’s favor. However if you want to improve on any individual area such as Sentence Correction, you may subscribe to the individual SC course as you can finish the whole course in 10 days (with proper dedication). If however you are only looking to identify and improve on your weak areas, I would encourage you to purchase the e-gmat scholaranium. It is without a doubt, one of the best practice tools for verbal and will indeed help you on the final leg of your preparations.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Sakshij0694 wrote:
binoyvalson - I do understand what the passage or the stem is trying to convey me but however when it comes to mock and i see the clock ticking i desperately try to look for the rule - It may be comma which rule or modifier or parallelism - I just try to look for these errors and end up hurting myself because i just cannot find them and i think this is what happened with me in the official GMAT.

I too had this "information overload" problem in SC. I agree it is difficult to not think about all the errors in the sentence. How I conquered this is by focusing on the meaning and SV pair alone at first. The remaining then came in time. Just do not work too much on SC problems itself. Do some mix and matching so that there is some variety.

One more thing I did was to play some brain power games like Peak or Lumosity - they are free and available on your smartphone. I saw good improvement in focus. The most important thing is not to fret - you already have a good quant score.

How do you fare in CR and RC?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sakshij0694,

With a V18, you lost significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure all of this out.

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT? What time did you take the Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you take any of these CATs BEFORE? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sakshij0694,

We can definitely help you reach your target score. We have had a lot of students who have improved from a low Verbal score to reach their target scores. Here are a few such examples:
    • Askul improved from 520 (Q44 V17) to 710 (Q48 V40). He leveraged the live session and mastered our "3-step" process in SC and "Pre-thinking" process in CR to improve. Click here to read his inspiring GMAT journey.

• Richa followed a methodical approach and improved from 470 to 720 (V16 to V39). Click here to learn how she achieved this feat.

• Bruno improved from a 540 to 730 in 1 month. See how he focused on "logical approach" and building "core skills". Click here to watch his amazing video debrief.

• Abhijay improved from 560 (V20) to 710 (V38). Click here to watch his inspiring video debrief.

Experience the e-GMAT Free Trial to evaluate the course for yourself

You can sign up for the free trial to get access to 25+ videos and 38+ practice questions. This will help you evaluate the course and decide for yourself if it suits your learning style. I am sharing direct links to a couple of lessons for your convenience, you can get the rest on signing up.
    • Learn to identify "Verb-ed" forms that don’t act as verbs - Play Video Lesson
    • Learn to understand the "Main Point" or purpose of a RC Paragraph - Play Video Lesson

Hope this helps! You can also write to us at support@e-gmat.com to get a personalized strategy to reach your target score.

Regards,
Aditee
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sakshij0694,

It has been about 6 months since we’ve heard from you. Did you end up retaking your GMAT?

If you need further advice, please reach out.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts