GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rice vs. Kelley ?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Rice Vs Kelley

  • 33% [3]
  • 66% [6]
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 514
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Rice vs. Kelley ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 04:29
Hey guys,

I am torn between offers from Rice and Kelley

I have a background in Oil and Gas industry in India and MiddleEast and want to go into consulting post mba.

To me plus points of Rice are :
Houston (Texas being Oil and gas capital of US), Energy industry consulting projects at major consulting firms in the vicinity and less number of indians but cost of attendance way too high.

At Kelley plus point is less cost, better brand, and ranking, bigger alumni base but the downside is remote location and 40+ Indians in a class of 200 (recruiting has been a big issue with 2018 batch even with 24 Indians so I am terrified).
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16847
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Rice vs. Kelley ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 10:31
Congratulations Mihir!

It seemed an easy question as i read the first 2 lines. Then it got complicated. I think this is a somewhat old story with new actors- Opportunity vs. Safety. You will find safety in Kelley with higher rankings and lower cost vs. potential opportunity to get a better job at Jones...

A few things to consider:
1. There are new rankings coming in a week or so (US News has provided some sneak peak) and we may see Jones go up. The program has made a lot of strides to improve in the last 10 years https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-rankings ... ml#p770991 - you will notice it went from #40 to #25. It did very well esp during the recession. Currently at #29 US news, while Kelley has been a solid 20-22 band in comparison and if the data you are referring to (job reports) is accurate, the rankings will likely ding Kelley for that. The two programs may be close-ish.

2. Oil and gas industry has been doing bad for the last 5 years with the oil price as low as it is. Chevron's stock is down 1% since 2013 - some may say it is a pretty bleak picture and others may suggest that by 2020 it has to recover and get back on track - you probably know better.

3. Most of your finaid in Kelley comes from GA. You have approached Jones about GA? There is a chance you may get a campus job or better a paid internship that goes during the second year to off-set your costs. This is something you could not easily do in Kelley being located in the boonies.




P.S. love the reference to the Indian students and the challenge it creates with potential employment seeking.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1838
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Rice vs. Kelley ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 11:26
Hi mihir0710

Congrats for you admit.
Actually, I would support Kelley over Rice. I do not know how Rice would help you in your goal. It is not only the cost but it has better shot into some 2nd consulting companies such Accenture, Deloitte...etc. The consulting academy will assist you. I know that this year was tough. I have friend who secured an offer but in supply chain field.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16847
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Rice vs. Kelley ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 20:17
Thinking more about it, as an international student, your main asset is your prior work experience. Most lack a network in the US that they can rely on for job leads which is a double whammy for somebody who needs a work permit and lacks a network.

You have another issue, most oil and gas companies don’t seem to hire international students. I used to work for Chevron, and they had a policy against H1B. I had to work through a consulting umbrella company.

If you are planning to go back to Oil and Gas then Jones is a consideration but for consulting in general, Kelley would be more productive....

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 514
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Rice vs. Kelley ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 13:31
bb wrote:
Thinking more about it, as an international student, your main asset is your prior work experience. Most lack a network in the US that they can rely on for job leads which is a double whammy for somebody who needs a work permit and lacks a network.

You have another issue, most oil and gas companies don’t seem to hire international students. I used to work for Chevron, and they had a policy against H1B. I had to work through a consulting umbrella company.

If you are planning to go back to Oil and Gas then Jones is a consideration but for consulting in general, Kelley would be more productive....

Posted from my mobile device


Thank you so much for taking time to provide such valuable insights.

I have some more questions now!! (hope you won't mind counter-questioning you :-) :-) )

Yes, you are right about the H1B part for Oil and Gas industry.
I am definitely not thinking about going back to the Oil and Gas companies.
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Current Student
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 514
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rice vs. Kelley ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 13:35
Mo2men wrote:
Hi mihir0710

Congrats for you admit.
Actually, I would support Kelley over Rice. I do not know how Rice would help you in your goal. It is not only the cost but it has better shot into some 2nd consulting companies such Accenture, Deloitte...etc. The consulting academy will assist you. I know that this year was tough. I have friend who secured an offer but in supply chain field.


Thanks man for the input...

Isn't rice and kelley equal in terms of Consulting recruitment ??
Both sends a good 20-22% folks in 2nd tier consulting firms.
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1838
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Rice vs. Kelley ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 15:30
mihir0710 wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
Hi mihir0710

Congrats for you admit.
Actually, I would support Kelley over Rice. I do not know how Rice would help you in your goal. It is not only the cost but it has better shot into some 2nd consulting companies such Accenture, Deloitte...etc. The consulting academy will assist you. I know that this year was tough. I have friend who secured an offer but in supply chain field.


Thanks man for the input...

Isn't rice and kelley equal in terms of Consulting recruitment ??
Both sends a good 20-22% folks in 2nd tier consulting firms.


You may say this as percentage but Kelley has slightly more students in its class and send 25% in 2017 report but Rice sends around 23.5% as per of 2016 and no record yet for 2017, which I really care for, because it will help reflect current situation. For same comparison, Rice offers are around 84% (after 3 moths according 2016) but Kelley is in 94 percentage in 2016( after 3 moths according 2016)(as per poets and qunat).

You can review numbers from here:
https://kelley.iu.edu/recruiters-compan ... t17-18.pdf
https://business.rice.edu/sites/default ... istics.pdf


This gives me impression how Career in Kelley try hard with this students. Personally, I was in 2015 in Kelley in a visit and saw this. Compared to Rice, I see Kelley exert more effort. I was in direct contact with career office director in 2015 who was really honest and supportive in his advice. Finally, The consulting academy is really is a plus for you and will teach you many things. However, your background in oil and gas could help you be hired in any energy consulting firms in Huston but I do not know if they hire internationals but I urge you to shot direct email to career office or have skype contact with them. This will give you the full picture.
That being said, those years are really tough and no one knows how it will end up with internationals. Few days ago, there were new documents and procedures added to the H1B visa that make it complex to companies to hire. I have a friend in Kellogg who could not secure any offer till now.
Current Student
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 514
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rice vs. Kelley ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 19:55
bb wrote:
Congratulations Mihir!

It seemed an easy question as i read the first 2 lines. Then it got complicated. I think this is a somewhat old story with new actors- Opportunity vs. Safety. You will find safety in Kelley with higher rankings and lower cost vs. potential opportunity to get a better job at Jones...

A few things to consider:
1. There are new rankings coming in a week or so (US News has provided some sneak peak) and we may see Jones go up. The program has made a lot of strides to improve in the last 10 years https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-rankings ... ml#p770991 - you will notice it went from #40 to #25. It did very well esp during the recession. Currently at #29 US news, while Kelley has been a solid 20-22 band in comparison and if the data you are referring to (job reports) is accurate, the rankings will likely ding Kelley for that. The two programs may be close-ish.

2. Oil and gas industry has been doing bad for the last 5 years with the oil price as low as it is. Chevron's stock is down 1% since 2013 - some may say it is a pretty bleak picture and others may suggest that by 2020 it has to recover and get back on track - you probably know better.

3. Most of your finaid in Kelley comes from GA. You have approached Jones about GA? There is a chance you may get a campus job or better a paid internship that goes during the second year to off-set your costs. This is something you could not easily do in Kelley being located in the boonies.




P.S. love the reference to the Indian students and the challenge it creates with potential employment seeking.


Sir

Your point-2 above is bang on target ...tables have turned !!!
Rice at 22 and Kelley at 27

Just adding to my confusion


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Rice vs. Kelley ? &nbs [#permalink] 19 Mar 2018, 19:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rice vs. Kelley ?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.