GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 08:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Ace the EMBA

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Learn how to create an outstanding application for top EMBA programs from an EMBA admissions expert.
  • Now accepting requests for consultations for 2019-2020!

February 22, 2019

February 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

The Vantage Point MBA team is now accepting requests for consultations for the 2019-2020 appplication season. We look forward to hearing from you!

Richard Ivey ($) or ISB

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Richard Ivey ($) or ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 04:25
Hello guys!

I'd applied to ISB for 2019 intake and Ivey for 2020 intake. While I am still waiting for my ISB result (which will be out on February 15; I am fairly confident of an admit), I got into Ivey with a 25% scholarship. I am severely inclined towards taking-up Ivey as I'd love to immigrate to Canada, but I am getting anxious about the job prospects post MBA. I really do not have any other (severe) reservations as I believe the nature of the curriculum, among other things, is what I'll fit into. What ISB offers is a far clearer path post-MBA as the school is extremely well-known here in India and placement will not be an uphill task after ISB. I'd say that I find Ivey's Program better aligned to my goals, but that'll hold little value if securing a job after the Program is very difficult for an international applicant.

A brief on my background:
Origin - Indian candidate.
GMAT - 710
Professional experience - 5 years in total.
4 years in the impact investment space evaluating debt proposals of early-stage companies. Did comprehensive ops and financial evaluation of over 120 companies.
1 year at a healthcare start-up independently managing its Series A fund-raise.

Post-MBA goal - I wish to continue in the investment space. I am open to both equity and debt profiles.

Any inputs will be extremely appreciated. I did speak to over a dozen alums and they all raved about the school. I am, however, looking for views from those who understand the Canadian market and will not be biased towards either of the programs.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 2.9
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests
Re: Richard Ivey ($) or ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 09:32
abhishekr10 wrote:
Hello guys!

I'd applied to ISB for 2019 intake and Ivey for 2020 intake. While I am still waiting for my ISB result (which will be out on February 15; I am fairly confident of an admit), I got into Ivey with a 25% scholarship. I am severely inclined towards taking-up Ivey as I'd love to immigrate to Canada, but I am getting anxious about the job prospects post MBA. I really do not have any other (severe) reservations as I believe the nature of the curriculum, among other things, is what I'll fit into. What ISB offers is a far clearer path post-MBA as the school is extremely well-known here in India and placement will not be an uphill task after ISB. I'd say that I find Ivey's Program better aligned to my goals, but that'll hold little value if securing a job after the Program is very difficult for an international applicant.

A brief on my background:
Origin - Indian candidate.
GMAT - 710
Professional experience - 5 years in total.
4 years in the impact investment space evaluating debt proposals of early-stage companies. Did comprehensive ops and financial evaluation of over 120 companies.
1 year at a healthcare start-up independently managing its Series A fund-raise.

Post-MBA goal - I wish to continue in the investment space. I am open to both equity and debt profiles.

Any inputs will be extremely appreciated. I did speak to over a dozen alums and they all raved about the school. I am, however, looking for views from those who understand the Canadian market and will not be biased towards either of the programs.

Cheers!

Hello abhishekr10,

Congratulations on the offer from Ivey!

While I think ISB and Ivey are both great MBA programs, I think the bigger decision will be where you ultimately want to live.

If you want to live in India; go for ISB.

If you want to live in Canada; go for Ivey.

If you aren't sure; go for Ivey.

While there is definitely more risk attached to moving to a different country and having difficulty finding a position post-MBA; graduating from arguably the best business school in the destination country will surely help mitigate some of that risk.

I think deep down; if you wanted to play it safe you would have made that decision by strictly applying to local schools. The simple fact that you applied to Ivey, and by extension Queen's, shows that you have a preference on some level to move to Canada.

I would suggest reaching out to some Ivey Alums in India; so that you can have an idea of what opportunities look like if ever you want/need to go back.

https://iveynetwork.ca/chapters/india/contact-us/

Also, reach out to some recent Indian Ivey grads to see what the placement figures are like for non-domestic graduates.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: Richard Ivey ($) or ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 09:49
Of the two, ISB is ranked way better here. If it were rotman and ISB, choice would have been tougher but yeah ISB has better prospects than ivey. Also, settling in canada won't be a challenge with the ISB Degree in hand( It holds a global value). Goodluck :)

Why do we fall?...So we can learn to pick ourselves up again

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Richard Ivey ($) or ISB   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2019, 09:49

Richard Ivey ($) or ISB

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap