It is currently 16 Jan 2018, 09:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Roller Coaster ride to 710

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 11

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
Roller Coaster ride to 710 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Friends,

My prep started around 1.5 years back and was quite frequently derailed due to work, travel etc. I rebooted my prep around 2 months back and my experience is summarised below:

1. Quant: Coming from engineering background, Quant was not an issue. The issue was to solve the problems in 2 mins or less. Biggest mistake i did was to go through theory again and again which does not help the cause. I came across "My Workbook" feature on GMAT Club. The way problems are organised on the basis of topics, difficulty level, section etc is just mind blowing. I focussed on solving the problems in under 2 mins, and for the ones which i could not i referred to the tricks or methods used by the forum moderators. I would sincerely like to thank Bunuel and VeritasPrepKarishma for the help and simple explanations to complex topics such as Probability,Permutations, Combinations, Mixtures, Rate etc. I solved around 300 questions from GMAT Club. Moreover the Math Book by Bunuel is awesome for a quick brush up.

2. Verbal: Verbal section is a different ball game all together and Princeton teachers i came across are good. For CR a lot of coaching programs will tell you to identify premise, conclusion etc. , make notes and then work in a pattern. What worked for me was to try to understand what the author is trying to say/convey and write down the expected answer. Same was for RC, i just read the passage and jotted down the issue and main idea. Once i stopped working as per prescribed 'process' and started understanding, both my RC and CR scores improved. I made notes only for confusing RC/CR e.g. say if its a biology or psychology RC involving technical terms, i would make notes. Or say if i am unable to understand an argument, then i will make notes. Sentence correction was and probably still is my Achilles heel as i was pathetic with grammar/idioms/rules etc and i should have worked harder on SC.

3. Mock Tests: Trust me, none of the mocks come remotely close to the actual thing. The closest you can get to the actual thing is by taking official mba.com mocks. I purchased the exam packs and took 6 mocks. These tests are representative and the next best thing. Other tests are either too hard, or too easy or just not representative. I am glad i spent money on the official mocks as it immensely helped me.

4. Day before the test: GMAT Club has been my constant companion and knight in shining armour throughout my prep journey. I have never been the notes making type person and i didnt know where to revise from. Well GMAT Club flashcards came to the rescue. I revised from those flashcards and took a good sleep.

5. Test Day and During the test: Woke up with a real bad headache, nervous. My appointment was at 5 PM, revised quant from GMAT Club and reached the centre. The test centre people were extremely professional and helpful. I used the scheduled breaks well, splashed water on my face, had a quick snack and ready for next section. Time just flies by when you are in the test taking mode. You cant sulk if the section did not go as per your expectations and you should not as it will impact the next section.

As i pressed the submit button, i prayed really hard, quick glance at the screen - Q49 V36 IR6 Total 710. A small fist bump in the air and done.

Once again, thank you GMAT Club for your help during this journey.

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 11

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 60

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Roller Coaster ride to 710 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 14:49
sharadvatsey wrote:
Hello Friends,

My prep started around 1.5 years back and was quite frequently derailed due to work, travel etc. I rebooted my prep around 2 months back and my experience is summarised below:

1. Quant: Coming from engineering background, Quant was not an issue. The issue was to solve the problems in 2 mins or less. Biggest mistake i did was to go through theory again and again which does not help the cause. I came across "My Workbook" feature on GMAT Club. The way problems are organised on the basis of topics, difficulty level, section etc is just mind blowing. I focussed on solving the problems in under 2 mins, and for the ones which i could not i referred to the tricks or methods used by the forum moderators. I would sincerely like to thank Bunuel and VeritasPrepKarishma for the help and simple explanations to complex topics such as Probability,Permutations, Combinations, Mixtures, Rate etc. I solved around 300 questions from GMAT Club. Moreover the Math Book by Bunuel is awesome for a quick brush up.

2. Verbal: Verbal section is a different ball game all together and Princeton teachers i came across are good. For CR a lot of coaching programs will tell you to identify premise, conclusion etc. , make notes and then work in a pattern. What worked for me was to try to understand what the author is trying to say/convey and write down the expected answer. Same was for RC, i just read the passage and jotted down the issue and main idea. Once i stopped working as per prescribed 'process' and started understanding, both my RC and CR scores improved. I made notes only for confusing RC/CR e.g. say if its a biology or psychology RC involving technical terms, i would make notes. Or say if i am unable to understand an argument, then i will make notes. Sentence correction was and probably still is my Achilles heel as i was pathetic with grammar/idioms/rules etc and i should have worked harder on SC.

3. Mock Tests: Trust me, none of the mocks come remotely close to the actual thing. The closest you can get to the actual thing is by taking official mba.com mocks. I purchased the exam packs and took 6 mocks. These tests are representative and the next best thing. Other tests are either too hard, or too easy or just not representative. I am glad i spent money on the official mocks as it immensely helped me.

4. Day before the test: GMAT Club has been my constant companion and knight in shining armour throughout my prep journey. I have never been the notes making type person and i didnt know where to revise from. Well GMAT Club flashcards came to the rescue. I revised from those flashcards and took a good sleep.

5. Test Day and During the test: Woke up with a real bad headache, nervous. My appointment was at 5 PM, revised quant from GMAT Club and reached the centre. The test centre people were extremely professional and helpful. I used the scheduled breaks well, splashed water on my face, had a quick snack and ready for next section. Time just flies by when you are in the test taking mode. You cant sulk if the section did not go as per your expectations and you should not as it will impact the next section.

As i pressed the submit button, i prayed really hard, quick glance at the screen - Q49 V36 IR6 Total 710. A small fist bump in the air and done.

Once again, thank you GMAT Club for your help during this journey.

Great score!! Thank you so much for posting your experience. Can you please elaborate your strategy for RC that helped you in the test.

Canadian Bschools: Detailed comparison
Resume Guides

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 60

Re: Roller Coaster ride to 710   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2017, 14:49

Roller Coaster ride to 710

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL Christmas sale! 25% off all packages.
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap