GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Ron Purewal Notes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Ron Purewal Notes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 06:04
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have Ron Purewal notes from Thursdays with Ron sessions or from forums?

It would be a great help if you could share the same.
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Ron Purewal Notes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 10:22
get to the download section and do a search....there is one nice pdf version, where all his wisdom has been collated.....along with the set of questions he discusses on "thursday with ron" it is very good.....sorry buddy, I dont remember the original poster though.

btw, my humble suggestion would be to download the sc n cr videos from mgmat....watch particularly " new way of sc " its amazing n wll force u to revisit ur existing approach....logical and easy.

I have taken 4 pvt tutoring sessions from ron....n I can say, the material available in public domain ie thutsdays with ron is equally good.....after u go through that sc video of ron..just follow n apply the learnings on first 50 og problems n u are set.....

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 14:56
here the files .

they regard only verbal part. I do not think there is a quant like part
Attachments

Ron%27s-SC-tips.pdf [245.13 KiB]
Downloaded 3576 times

To download please login or register as a user

PARALLELISM CONTINUED.pdf [245.59 KiB]
Downloaded 2587 times

PARALLELISM.pdf [46.04 KiB]
Downloaded 2512 times

CR COPY.pdf [2.09 MiB]
Downloaded 2950 times

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-27-2014
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2014, 04:19
These have been of immense help, especially the videos from the MGMAT website as suggested in the above post. I second of going through these strategies prior to attempting mocks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 08:58
do we have some more PDFs of Ron Purewal Notes..Done reading above pdfs..It will be helpful if we have more. :)

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

GMAT Tutor
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 11:13
hello all,
i've been alerted to this page by a student.

_

two parallelism files:

these seem to be aggregations of screenshots and/or other content from "thursdays with me". so, yes, this content is mine.

the order of presentation, too, is at least somewhat sensible (...most likely because it mirrors the original order of presentation in "thursdays").

_

• SC tips file:
this appears to be a collection of things i wrote on manhattan prep's forum over the years i worked for the company. so, yes, this content is mine.

HOWEVER... even though these little bits and pieces of content are, ultimately, mine...
this document will NOT be useful as a preparatory instrument for the GMAT, for 3 reasons:

1/
the content aggregated in this document is COMPLETELY RANDOM.

the items in the document are not unified/connected by any coherent theme. nor do they illustrate, explain, or reinforce any common idea or principle.

2/
MOST of these items are FAR too specific to be useful "takeaways".
the chance that you'll see THESE EXACT CONSTRUCTIONS again, on test day, is essentially zero.

...and, worst of all,

3/
MOST of these items come from answer choices THAT ALSO CONTAIN OTHER, MUCH MORE IMPORTANT, MUCH MORE FUNDAMENTAL ISSUES!

in most of these cases, i was doing my best to indulge a student's curiosity by answering all of his/her questions about that problem/choice, with a clear understanding that these unique, ultra-specific, highly specialized parts of the sentence are the UNIMPORTANT parts.

in other words, the person who compiled this document has CONSISTENTLY chosen to INCLUDE the LEAST important, LEAST useful pieces of the original forum discussions — while THROWING AWAY the PARTS THAT ACTUALLY MATTER!

EXAMPLE:
#16 in the document
("mideast immigrants" is worse; "immigrants from the mideast" is better)

the original problem is here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/mideast-immi ... 75746.html
"mideast immigrants" is in choices A, B, and C.

••ALL•• of those choices also contain FUNDAMENTAL ERRORS in BASIC, ground-level constructions:
—A and B have a nonsense comparison (RATES vs OTHER IMMIGRANT GROUPS);
—E has subject-verb disagreement (the RATES ... EXCEEDS...)
these errors are so basic that you MUST see them first and foremost.

in other words. even THINKING about "mideast immigrants" vs. "immigrants from the mideast" in this problem is a HUGE MISTAKE. if you consider those parts of the choices AT ALL, then your priorities are COMPLETELY BACKWARDS!
...and yet the author of this document included THAT part... and threw away all of the FUNDAMENTALS.

nearly the whole document does the same thing. over and over and over again... extracting THE LEAST IMPORTANT PART of a whole forum discussion, while completely ignoring all the fundamental, heavily tested issues.

there's exactly ONE way in which this document CAN be useful: it shows exactly how you SHOULDN'T study sentence correction.

_

• "CR copy" file:

this content is NOT mine.
i do not appreciate this sort of misattribution. please do your due diligence before crediting material to its supposed source, ladies and gentlemen; thank you in advance.

most of this document is fundamentally misguided, in both scope and technique.

by "scope" i mean the same sort of thing as above — again, there's an excessive focus on incredibly specific details that have NO reasonable chance of appearing on test day.

by "technique" i mean that this document just tells you to do things that you straight-up should not do.
e.g., the second page tells you to read CR passages — AND "classify" them as "weak or strong" (what does that even mean??) — BEFORE reading the question stem!
oh heck no.
you should ALWAYS read the question stem FIRST — because you have no idea what you're supposed to DO with the stimulus/passage until you read the stem.
if you follow the directions in this document, you'll waste an ungodly amount of time reading blocks of text without ANY way to determine what's important or why, and without ANY sense of what to DO with that text.
you'll also waste your time doing absurd things like translating "some" and "most" into numerical percentages ... among many, many other utterly non-goal-oriented, time-wasting, intuition-destroying things this document tells you to do.

...no.

(have a nice day!)

Please visit my corners of the web:
http://www.RonPurewal.com
http://www.facebook.com/RonPurewalGMAT
__

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi
__

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
—Yves Saint-Laurent

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 11:41
Top Contributor
Really spot-on clarification.

I would like to point out that I am NOT the author of the files of course.

Moreover, another side of the story shows us how (even IF all Ron pointed out in his reply is flawless) people do not think critically and study without the usage of a context.

Aside from the fact that having the less useful parts/lessons in the files is the worst scenario.

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 12:06
Hey RonPurewal

Thanks!! Saved me, some very precious time!

Great coincidence too, i was reading your posts on Manhattan forums & was wondering, if i only i could find a consolidated knowledge bank of your posts & lo and behold, the legend himself spoke!

I guess now i will have to do it the hard way!

Anyway, thanks a million!! for posting such clear & practical explanations for the GMAT prep questions on Manhattan forums.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Cheers!
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

GMAT Tutor
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 12:08
carcass wrote:
Aside from the fact that having the less useful parts/lessons in the files is the worst scenario.

^^ it's well worth noting that GMAT SC is quite clearly DESIGNED to test your ability to PRIORITIZE — and to MAINTAIN FOCUS on the HIGH priorities.

the OFFICIAL sc problems have an uncannily consistent tendency to toss fundamental errors and unique, random bits designed to DISTRACT you into the same answer choices together.
the directive is unmistakable: they're testing whether you can shut out the distractions and stay focused on the MAJOR issues.

_

in my old forum posts, i liked to indulge even the most tangential questions, about details that would never possibly appear on the test again.
i answered these questions because... well... i like answering questions.
i also answered these questions because i personally found them interesting and challenging. (quite often, those forum posts represent the first time i had ever thought explicitly about whatever the student was asking about.)

in retrospect, i probably SHOULD have answered all of these highly specific/specialized/unique questions with "let's not discuss those parts; they're there to distract you."
...oh well. (:

__

__

—Yves Saint-Laurent

GMAT Tutor
B
Ron Purewal Notes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 12:11
GyMrAT wrote:
i was reading your posts on Manhattan forums & was wondering, if i only i could find a consolidated knowledge bank of your posts

the main theme of this little discussion, here, is that ]this "bank" — were someone to compile such a thing — would contain VERY LITTLE ACTUAL ••KNOWLEDGE••.
very very little indeed.

in fact, the same idea, more generally, is the single most important unifying directive of this entire exam: to depend AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE on knowledge.

Quote:
Enjoy your Sunday!

thanks!

__

__

—Yves Saint-Laurent

GMAT Club Bot
Ron Purewal Notes &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jul 2018, 12:11

Ron Purewal Notes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap