Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 15:39 It is currently 07 May 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1362 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ross MSCM vs Queens MBA with major scholarship [#permalink]
I am sorry I missed this information

Queens is in Canada (consistently ranked among the top 3 schools in Canada along with Rotman and Ivey)
I have a total of 10 years experience ( 2 in Power generation and 8 in supply chain management) Age 31 Indian Engineer working in USA- As far as the knowledge is concerned, I think I am at a decent level for a guy with 8 years of experience. However, I can enhance my learning through SCM gold standard certification CSCP. This will give a very good knowledge but not practical application.

Ross is mostly for the Brand and the jobs it can get me. The placement rate for this program is usually around 100% and with salaries on par or better than 15-20 ranked mba programs.

Queens on the other hand is very well known in canada but outside canada I dont think it has any great recognition. I have admits from Fisher and IE too. However, many experts commented that Queens is better than Fisher and although IE is better, securing a job through IE is almost impossible for a non EU candidate(I am an Indian working in USA). So though queens is best among IE and Fisher.

Challenges with Ross: I have lived in USA for 5.5 years and I have an approved I140. As per multiple immigration lawyers I consulted with, the chances of obtaining F1 with an approved I140 is low, which further lowered in the current government. There have been successful cases earlier but have not come across many this year. The current wait time to receive F1 from H1 through change of status is 9 months. If after 9 months, it gets rejected, I will have already been in the MSCM program and I will have to leave the country immediately - All the tuition fee will be lost along with time, effort and Degree.

Challenges with Queens: I will miss the Ross brand. Placement rates are high(95%) at queens and with probably the highest average salaries among all the canadian schools. But this MBA might confine me to canda and no much international recognition. not to mention salaries in canada are terribly lower than they are in USA.

Ross MSCM starts in Jun (classes start in July 2018) and Queens MBA starts in Jan 19. To further my problem, my H1B is going through renewal now.

I am thinking to go to india and go for F1 stamping for Ross. If I get the stamping, I can go to Ross and if I dont, then I can go to Queens. But the catch here is, If I dont get the F1 stamping, I will not be working for about 7 months and will stay in India before Queens MBA classes begin. Will this period of no work impact my post MBA job search? Is Ross MSCM worth all this effort and risk(If it is worth, I will take the risk). ? If I do my MBA in canada, will I have a chance to come back to USA? (Queens places about 5 students(OUT OF 80) every year in USA).

Thank you very much. Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73104 [0]
Given Kudos: 18936
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Ross MSCM vs Queens MBA with major scholarship [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Sorry but unless you want to head to Canada (many do), I would not pick Queens.
Ross's MBA is doing really well this year. I don't know much about SCM but unless Queens can guarantee you a position, I feel Ross would be better but I am judging it purely based on the Ross MBA reputation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Given new rules on OPT at third party sites, i would predict hiring of international students by consulting firms to be way down. If you are an international student i would give Queens MBA a closer look
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb the MSCM program is top class but the real issue will be the visa. The Jobs Ross MSCM can get me will be better than I could manage from a 15-20 ranked MBA programs. Queens advantage is that it will atleast allow me to complete my MBA and get a Job although it can never match MSCM's potential.

sr77: I will pay the deposit for Queens MBA to secure my position.

One question: If I take a break from work for 7 months before the MBA program begins, will it impact the post MBA job prospects?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I am in exactly similar situation like yours :) (queens, ross MSCM, H1b, I140, F1) :), only one difference - for Queens - for me it is MMA program and not the MBA program, so would love to catch up with you over phone, please send me your phone no.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts