GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Jul 2020, 21:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross Vs Columbia(reapply)

new topic post reply Update application status  

What should I choose

• 66% [12]
  • 33% [6]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Ross Vs Columbia(reapply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 11:50
HI All

I have gotten admission into Michigan Ross and NYU Stern. Although Columbia rejected me they have encouraged me to reapply and have offered an application fee waiver if I reapply again. I believe this is a positive indication. Should I join this year or wait for Columbia for next year. Is their so much difference between M7 and Ross that one should wait another year?
My Post MBA goals are in Consulting(preference 1) or Technology(preference 2). Please help me out to make a decision.
Consortium Forum Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Ross Vs Columbia(reapply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 13:04
Look at their placements for those industries. I think it's splitting hairs for MBB and tech, so its up to you if you are willing/can spend another year waiting.

Posted from my mobile device
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 13:16
ram7 wrote:
My Post MBA goals are in Consulting(preference 1) or Technology(preference 2). Please help me out to make a decision.

If you said your goals were to work in high finance in NYC, maybe taking the NYU offer or waiting for CBS would be worth it. However, given your stated goals, Ross seems like the right call. (And it'll be 5 figures cheaper!)

Go Blue
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Apr 2019, 13:37
Congrats on your admits. I think you will find Ross to be stimulating and rewarding and also job placement on par with other Top schools, esp for someone without hoops to jump with a work permit. I would not wait a year only to roll your dice again but that's me. If your situation is about to improve and you are about to get a promotion or complete an amazing project or have some other meaningful change, then perhaps I could consider reapplying and include Booth, Wharton, HBS, and Stanford in the mix but I feel CBS would not be a meaningful upgrade for your goals.

Thx and again congratulations on your hard working paying off!
BB.

Originally posted by bb on 19 Apr 2019, 13:35.
Last edited by bb on 19 Apr 2019, 13:37, edited 2 times in total.
added not where it belongs :)
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 13:47
ram7 wrote:
HI All

I have gotten admission into Michigan Ross and NYU Stern. Although Columbia rejected me they have encouraged me to reapply and have offered an application fee waiver if I reapply again. I believe this is a positive indication. Should I join this year or wait for Columbia for next year. Is their so much difference between M7 and Ross that one should wait another year?

Hello ram7

Congrats on admission :thumbup:

I am surprised you are picking Ross over Stern.

I wouldn't.

But I am Finance guy :cool: :geek:

Here I already compared those two schools/offers in somewhat different settings, when scholarship was involved:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/nyu-stern-fu ... 92904.html

Stern and Ross are basically tied in latest US News rankings :

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

However, Bloomberg made interesting rankings based on survey of approximately 30,00 MBA students, alumni, and recruiters in 2018 about their goals and experiences, as well as compensation and job-placement data from each school, you will see Stern (14) is placed better than Ross (19.) :

https://www.bloomberg.com/business-schools/2018/

This Bloomberg rankings can be read as inside information ;)

There is no need to compare Stern and Ross from location perspective and in terms of possible proximity to top employers. :shh:

Once again I would go to Stern in your place, maybe even reapply to Colombia while at Stern, if you still feel the need.

Good Luck :cool:
Current Student
S
Schools: Stern '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2019, 06:24
I wouldn't bank on reapplying unless your candidacy is about to change drastically within that 1 year (+30points on GMAT, awesome promotion, awesome achievement, something). However, if you really want CBS more than Ross/Stern, I'd ask Ross/Stern to defer your offer and try out next year. I'm not sure if deferring is an option though.
Current Student
S
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2019, 10:52
Couldn't imagine passing up Ross for an outside shot at a lower M7. There are people who pick Ross/Duke/Yale/Tuck/Darden over non (H/SW) M7s all the time and them asking you to re-apply doesn't seem that encouraging--why would they not keep you on the waitlist if they thought you were a near admit?

Keep in mind you would be unlikely to get into Ross next time around because they'll know you passed them over. Like others have said, unless you are <25 year old, or a really significant life change would alter your candidacy, it would be silly to pass up a top 12/14 school for an outside shot at Columbia one year later.

Congrats on the admit and good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ross Vs Columbia(reapply)   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2019, 10:52

Ross Vs Columbia(reapply)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate