GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 19:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rotman vs. Schulich MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Rotman vs. Schulich MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 16:18
Hello folks,

I am considering for a part-time MBA either from Rotman or Schulich. I don't want to switch careers or industry but want to climb corporate ladder more. My educational background is in engineering, have been working in biotech industry since undergraduate studies and recently got promoted to a manager of manufacturing. I am going to work full-time and go to school part-time. I've considered a number of factors. Please see below -

Schulich: York university is not as recognized outside Canada
Rotman: University of Toronto is recognized world-wide for its research

Schulich: Flexibility to switch between Fulltime or Part-time
Rotman: Follow strict cohort. Perhaps elective courses can be taken full-time

Schulich: Most core courses are offered every semester (Fall/Winter/Summer). If you drop/fail a course, always can take it in the following semester.
Rotman: Have to follow strict core courses. If dropped/failed, may have to wait till next year for the core courses.

Schulich: Full-time or Part-time Classes are held evening, weekend or day
Rotman: Part-time classes are held only on the evening

Schulich: 36-40 months with 2x reading weeks (breaks) per year
Rotman: 32 months, no reading weeks rather 2x intensive study week, no breaks other than Christmas

Schulich: Commute from Markham takes about 20 minutes on 407ETR)
Rotman: Takes about 1 to 1.5 hour - depending on the traffic

Schulich: 28,000 alumni in 90 countries
Rotman: 14,000 alumni in 70 countries

Schulich: Lots of alumni events, evident from website
Rotman: Didn't see that many on the website

Schulich: My Target industry post-MBA - Class 2016 has following industry placements biotech 4%, operations 5%, Tech 13% and Consulting 13%
Rotman: My Target industry post-MBA - Class 2016 has following industry placements biotech 1%, operations 2%, Tech 8% and Consulting 21%

Schulich: 80,000 tuition
Rotman: 98,400 tuition

Schulich: Average starting salary $91860/year
Rotman: Average starting salary $92524/year

Schulich: Independent Project work - Strategy Field Study (601) - practical learning
Rotman: No such courses, correct me if I am wrong. But offers self development lab, creative destruction, design works

Schulich: Not too many talks from industry leaders, prominent writers or politicians - Malcom Gladwell, Minister of Finance etc.
Rotman: Regular speaker series from industry leaders, prominent writers or politicians

Schulich: Slowly dropping in ranking in Economists
Rotman: Slowly dropping in ranking in Financial times

Schulich: Study tours are available for any students (correct me if I am wrong)
Rotman: Study tours are very competitive, only few spots for Part-time students

I am wondering if anyone has any other comments and insights regarding these two schools. Based on my background and career aspirations, what school would you recommend? Your comments will greatly help me to make the right decision, perhaps one of biggest educational investment of my life.
I've attached both schools employment reports for anyone to view. I thank you in advance for taking the time to guide me.

Cheers,
Resilient soul
Attachments

File comment: Schulich MBA Salary Report
Schulich MBA-Salary-Report-2016-for-Website.pdf [1.92 MiB]
Downloaded 69 times

To download please login or register as a user

File comment: Rotman Fulltime MBA Employment and Salary Report
Rotman-Full-Time-MBA-Employment-and-Salary-Report-2016-2017.pdf [1.84 MiB]
Downloaded 57 times

To download please login or register as a user

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Rotman vs. Schulich MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 20:44
Your MBA truly matters and counts for your First job. Once you have established yourself and worked for a few years, you will be hired based on your networking, contacts, performance, results, and interviewing skills. Nobody will care that you went to York or Toronto or even Chicago so if you are planning to climb the corp ladder, pick the school with the shorter commune and that fits your goals better.

You can look up CFO's and CEOs of a lot of companies - they have some obscure name MBA's on their resumes (if they have one that is). As long as you don't have to dance around H1B or another Canadian employment version of work permit, York can meet your needs nicely.

P.S. Kudos on doing your research and not expecting someone else to troll the sites and info.
PPS. Now that the US schools are having hard time placing their international students, I can see that impacting their rankings and job stats and as the result greater numbers applying for MBA programs to Canada - that has already started last year as Canadian school popularity on GMAT Club shot upwards - Schulich in particular https://gmatclub.com/forum/school-ranki ... 35933.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rotman vs. Schulich MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 20:35
bb wrote:
Your MBA truly matters and counts for your First job. Once you have established yourself and worked for a few years, you will be hired based on your networking, contacts, performance, results, and interviewing skills. Nobody will care that you went to York or Toronto or even Chicago so if you are planning to climb the corp ladder, pick the school with the shorter commune and that fits your goals better.

You can look up CFO's and CEOs of a lot of companies - they have some obscure name MBA's on their resumes (if they have one that is). As long as you don't have to dance around H1B or another Canadian employment version of work permit, York can meet your needs nicely.

P.S. Kudos on doing your research and not expecting someone else to troll the sites and info.
PPS. Now that the US schools are having hard time placing their international students, I can see that impacting their rankings and job stats and as the result greater numbers applying for MBA programs to Canada - that has already started last year as Canadian school popularity on GMAT Club shot upwards - Schulich in particular https://gmatclub.com/forum/school-ranki ... 35933.html

Hello BB,
After weeks of thinking, LinkedIn search and deep conversation with current students/alumni, I've chosen Schulich. I want to thank you for replying to my question. I will save your answer on my computer for years to come. I've got great help from GMATClub during MBA application process and now I am off to next chapter of my life i.e. MBA itself! Thank you.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 20:40
Congratulations!

Glad to hear you have made your choice and will be turning a page to a whole new chapter!

Good luck and please please come back in 6-12 month and share some of your surprises and experiences. These will go a long way for those trying to make decisions as hard as yours.

Good luck and have a great night!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 11:54
Thanks a lot bb. You saved me. After reading your reply I got so emotional and happy because I was only seeing bad reviews about Schulich.
You are right. It all depends on the person. If you are willing to go to any lengths, anything is possible, be it Rotman or Schulich.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 12:02
I am curious what khanym is up to. Would be great to hear their thoughts and feedback. Would be great to see if they agree or maybe have a change of heart.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 12:33
yeah we would like your feedback on schulich. And I am actually surprised he chose Schulich over Rotman and I would like to know why exactly
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 06:53
Hi,

Trying to decide between Schulich and Rotman for part-time MBA.
How has your experience been with Schulich so far?
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 17:36
If you're hoping to work in Finance or Consulting, Rotman is unquestionably a better choice.

For marketing and maybe social enterprise, you might consider Schulich over Rotman
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 05:15
Thanks for the reply!
I am looking to talk to someone who has done part-time MBA from Schulich or is currently doing one. Want to hear some insider views about Schulich.
Re: Rotman vs. Schulich MBA &nbs [#permalink] 20 Jul 2018, 05:15

Rotman vs. Schulich MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap