GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 00:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Round 3 or Re-Apply?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.36
Round 3 or Re-Apply?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 09:31
I under prepared my essays and applications in Round 1 this year and unfortunately applied to my top M7 choices. I was dinged with no interviews to all that I applied to. In Round 2, I made some improvements to my goals and essays and received admissions to NYU (no $), Cornell ($$$), and Mccombs ($$).

I feel like if i would have made the same changes that I made in Round 2 to my Round 1 schools, I would have had a much better choice. So I have 3 choices: should I apply to a school like Yale in Round 3 or accept my T15 offer at Cornell or re-apply for next year?

Background:
GMAT: 730 (48Q 42V)
GPA: 3.4 (majored in Economics at a top 50 university)
WE: 3 years Oil Major, rotational program. 1.5 years FP&A analyst for private company
EC: Was a recruiter for 2 years (at my previous F10 company) for MIT and Harvard. Traveled multiple times a year to Cambridge for career fairs to recruit and interview PHD and MBA students. Also gave presentations to certain MIT clubs that my previous employer sponsored. I started a community mentoring program to help students apply to colleges and get connected with individuals in a career they are interested in. Built my own iPhone app to help charities receive donations, but the app failed last year due to insufficient funding. Before the failure I had an operating LLC with a team of developers.

26(Middle Eastern Male)
Goal: MBB Consulting
Target: M7
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Round 3 or Re-Apply?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 18:00
Hi there,
Congrats on your acceptances thus far! Those are great results in my view. With your experience and grades, I think you are at the level of school I'd roughly expect, and even those can be unpredictable so I do feel it shows your essays and overall application efforts likely were strong as you indicated you felt for R2. In terms of Yale R3, I would not think chances would be very high... their program is reasonably small and will be fairly full now... it's not impossible but not likely. And in terms of the top end or so of the M7, I'd think gaining another year or two of work and leadership experience would be practically required, if not a higher GMAT on top of it. (Final random note-- I noticed on a prior post here you said 'white male' and now Middle Eastern male... that was a strange difference of description; if American you'll count as American citizen even if under represented minority (which is small plus in some instances); if you are actually born/a citizen of another country that would be another small plus as bringing that global diversity in can help... but not convinced would be enough to make a huge difference personally). Think about it and visit the schools you are accepted to and speak with multiple students and alumni of each and look at employment reports and curriculum etc and see what you think, as you may decide the opportunities at hand are promising enough at this point in time..... very personal call though as there are no guarantees on these types of things, and I know it can be tough. Wishing you the best however you go!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Round 3 or Re-Apply?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap