Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618923 [7]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29924 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618923 [0]
Send PM
Re: S is a set of n consecutive positive integers. Is the mean of the set [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
S is a set of n consecutive positive integers. Is the mean of the set a positive integer?

(1) the range of S is an even integer

(2) the median of S is a positive integer

Project DS Butler Data Sufficiency (DS3)

For DS butler Questions Click Here

Official Magoosh Explanation:

First of all, for a set of consecutive integers, or for any set of evenly spaced numbers, the mean and the median are equal. If there's an odd number of members of the list, then the median is the middle number. If there's an even number of members of the list, then the median is the average of the two middle numbers. For example, the median of {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} is 3, a positive integer and member of the set. For consecutive integers, an even number of members would mean that the mean or median is the average of the two middle integers. For example, the median of {1,2, 3, 4} is the average of 3 and 4, that is, 3.5, not an integer. The only way the mean or median can be an integer is if the set of consecutive integers has an odd number of members.

Statement #1: If there are an even number of consecutive integers, then the evens and odds are balanced in the set, and the first and last number must be opposite: one must be even and the other must be odd. Thus, the range, the difference of (max) – (min) would be either (even) – (odd) or (odd) – (even), in either case, an odd number. If the range is odd, the number of consecutive integers is even.

If there are an odd number of consecutive integers, then the first and last numbers are either both even or both odd. The range would be either (even) – (even) or (odd) – (odd), in either case, an even number. If the range is even, the number of consecutive integers is odd. That must be the case here. As we have seen above, this means the mean or median is a positive integer. This statement, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Statement #2: As we discussed above, the mean = the median. If the latter is a positive integer, so is the former. This statement, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Both statement are separately sufficient. Answer = (D)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: S is a set of n consecutive positive integers. Is the mean of the set [#permalink]
For a set of positive integers, the mean definitely has to be positive. Is the question right or am I missing something here ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618923 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Victor19 wrote:
For a set of positive integers, the mean definitely has to be positive. Is the question right or am I missing something here ?

The mean of a set of n consecutive positive integers will for sure be positive but not necessarily an integer. The mean of a set of n consecutive integers is integer when n is odd, when n is even the mean will be integer/2. For example:

{1, 2, 3} --> mean = 2 = integer;
{1, 2, 3, 4} --> mean = 5/2 = not an integer.

So, the question basically asks whether n is odd.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Victor19 wrote:

The mean of a set of n consecutive positive integers will for sure be positive but not necessarily an integer. The mean of a set of n consecutive integers is integer when n is odd, when n is even the mean will be integer/2. For example:

{1, 2, 3} --> mean = 2 = integer;
{1, 2, 3, 4} --> mean = 5/2 = not an integer.

So, the question basically asks whether n is odd.

Bunuel,

Thanks for the response. I certainly didn't pay much attention to the "integer" part which I should have. Now it is clear.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts