Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: S&T or HF [#permalink]
wharton and chicago are the best MBA programs for S&T. they have the strongest pure finance programs and are respected by the bulge bracket trading desks. it's still tough though; a former co-worker is at booth, and he said recruiting was very competitive.

Getting into hedge funds or asset management is even tougher. Hedge funds like citadel, moore, SAC, york, davidson kempner, fortress,and asset management firms like blackrock, PIMCO, wellington, capital group, fidelity, state street, are all very tough to get into.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
From what I can tell, certain big asset management shops have strong relationships with a small number of select business schools - Chicago Booth is definitely one of them, and seems to enjoy a few more than Columbia does.

Its numbers in S&T are less strong than I would've expected them to be, though out of all business schools, it sends the second-highest percentage of its graduates into that function.

As for hedge funds, I'm not sure that they're treated the same way as MFs are. MFs tend to be considered IM, whereas HFs often get placed in "alternative investments" in career reports. The reports will usually specify, though.

Congratulations to masscool and bonethugnhominy for getting into Booth!

Arbitrageur, does your friend have any insight into how many doors Booth opens for non-quants looking to get a trading or structuring role? It seems to be a different gig from sales, which is what's usually available to MBAs.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks, Osborne! I'm definitely excited about the possibilities @ Booth, but I'm still not 100% which area of finance I am going to pursue.

Is PE a total pipedream with no IB/PE experience and sub-750 GMAT score? Would my CFA charter be of any use?

Between IBD and Sec Div, I'm leaning towards trading, but still am not totally sure. The reason for this is that I've never been on the IBD side, and thus have no real point of comparison.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
bonethugnhominy wrote:
Thanks, Osborne! I'm definitely excited about the possibilities @ Booth, but I'm still not 100% which area of finance I am going to pursue.

Is PE a total pipedream with no IB/PE experience and sub-750 GMAT score? Would my CFA charter be of any use?

Between IBD and Sec Div, I'm leaning towards trading, but still am not totally sure. The reason for this is that I've never been on the IBD side, and thus have no real point of comparison.

Not being an expert at this, I think that the chances of going into PE directly are slim. I know a guy who did it relatively quickly, but his deal was this: pre-MBA, he was an entrepreneur (well-connected). Then he went to Chicago/CBS/Kellogg, and did one year of bulge-bracket investment banking. He then leveraged his contact list (not American, he went back to his region of origin) to get into a PE firm after only one year of banking.

I suppose that if your pre-MBA experience is suitable, and you already have connections, then you may, if you're good enough at the networking, manage to find a position with a summer internship in IBD, or only a year or two of IBD full-time. A guy I know who runs a PE fund told me to "get in touch" once I figure out what I want to do next, so I suppose he values my current skill-set, though I don't know if me-current-plus-MBA is enough for him to want to hire me.

Does that give you (sample size of one!) at least something to go by?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:
bonethugnhominy wrote:

Not being an expert at this, I think that the chances of going into PE directly are slim. I know a guy who did it relatively quickly, but his deal was this: pre-MBA, he was an entrepreneur (well-connected). Then he went to Chicago/CBS/Kellogg, and did one year of bulge-bracket investment banking. He then leveraged his contact list (not American, he went back to his region of origin) to get into a PE firm after only one year of banking.

I suppose that if your pre-MBA experience is suitable, and you already have connections, then you may, if you're good enough at the networking, manage to find a position with a summer internship in IBD, or only a year or two of IBD full-time. A guy I know who runs a PE fund told me to "get in touch" once I figure out what I want to do next, so I suppose he values my current skill-set, though I don't know if me-current-plus-MBA is enough for him to want to hire me.

Does that give you (sample size of one!) at least something to go by?

Thanks for the input. I guess I can realistically rule out PE (though, I'll try to the extent that it doesn't interfere with other recruiting).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Would MBA or MsF/MsFE be better for Trader position? [#permalink]
I am a career switcher (non-finance related) interested in breaking into the financial industry post b-school with my sights on a position in Trading. I would like to know which degree is better suited for landing an entry-level position in Trading, considering I do not have relevant work experience. Furthermore, I do not come from a quantitative background (Undergrad in liberal arts) and have no dreams of becoming a PhD quant, but remain hopeful that landing a traditional role as trader is still possible. My question is: Are Trading firms more likely to recruit from MsF/Ms.Financial Engineering or would they also be attracted to MBA grads?

An MBA education seems very general and better suited for CorpFin type IBD, but the MBA program attracts more recruiters so it could offset a lot of advantages a specialized MsF program has to offer.
If you are lucky enough to land a role at a trading firm, is there any on-site training, or are you expected to be able to generate alpha straight away? Are MBA hires expected to know the ins and outs of trading upon prior to employment or is there a boot-camp of sorts before the "real work" begins?

I'm leaning towards doing an MBA due to the less stringent requirement for a quantitative background, while cross-enrolling in a few math courses on the side (from either the math or engineering department.)

My main concern is that traders need to have high-level math (by high-level I mean higher than a layperson, but perhaps not as high as the quants they work alongside with) as well as programming skills and an MBA education usually does not cover such topics, whereas a MsFinEng would.

Any help on this matter is appreciated!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
The general fear / lack of interest in math really makes me doubt your chances of trading.

MBAs can get into trading, but a lot of it is about fit with the business. MsF might have better probabilities if you get in, but I am not so sure.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts