Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 25
Location: China
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2008, 09:48
1
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:36) correct 36% (01:41) wrong based on 198 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a health food restaurant opened its doors for business on the same block three months ago. The owner of the sandwich shop concludes that the best way to raise sales back to prior levels is to offer special sandwich prices that compete with the low prices at the health food restaurant.

Which of the following assumptions helps to justify the owner’s conclusion?


A) Local consumers prefer the food at the sandwich shop to the food at the health food restaurant.

B) Sales at the sandwich shop reached an all-time high six months ago.

C) The sandwich shop’s prices are currently higher than those of a similar shop located in a neighboring town.

D) The sandwich shop does not currently offer any healthful food items.

E) The health food restaurant is running its special prices as a temporary promotion and will be raising its prices at the end of the year.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1293
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2008, 10:13
I got A by POE
A says that people prefer sandwich. If the owner lower price, there by eliminating one consideration for choosing shops, then people should come back.

All pther choices doesnt even fit.

rw6183 wrote:
Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a health food restaurant opened its doors for business on the same block three months ago. The owner of the sandwich shop concludes that the best way to raise sales back to prior levels is to offer special sandwich prices that compete with the low prices at the health food restaurant.

Which of the following assumptions helps to justify the owner’s conclusion?

A) Local consumers prefer the food at the sandwich shop to the food at the health food restaurant.
B) Sales at the sandwich shop reached an all-time high six months ago.
C) The sandwich shop’s prices are currently higher than those of a similar shop located in a neighboring town.
D) The sandwich shop does not currently offer any healthful food items.
E) The health food restaurant is running its special prices as a temporary promotion and will be raising its prices at the end of the year.

PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWERS. hint: I got it wrong thinking its related to pricing of sandwiches.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3086
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2008, 10:39
1
i get A as well..assumption is people will comeback because they like the taste of the sandwich
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 235
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2008, 10:59
A is the only plausible option.

i reached my answer by POE.

if this is the correct answer ...i can explain further...

thanks
_________________
The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 479
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2008, 11:39
I got A as well.

The local sandwich shop proposes to lower prices to compete with the health food shop. In order for this to work the customers still have to want to choose the local sandwich shop.

ex. The local shop sells sandwiches that taste like crap and people buy it because it's the only option. The health food shop moves in with good sandwiches. Even if the local shop reduces the price of the crap sandwiches people would still eat at the health food shop.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Posts: 567
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2008, 14:48
A here as well. If prices are equal, what other factor would other people consider when deciding which sandwich to purchase? Taste/quality, which consumers prefer local shop over health shop.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Posts: 171
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2008, 19:39
rw6183 wrote:
Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a health food restaurant opened its doors for business on the same block three months ago. The owner of the sandwich shop concludes that the best way to raise sales back to prior levels is to offer special sandwich prices that compete with the low prices at the health food restaurant.

Which of the following assumptions helps to justify the owner’s conclusion?

A) Local consumers prefer the food at the sandwich shop to the food at the health food restaurant.
B) Sales at the sandwich shop reached an all-time high six months ago.
C) The sandwich shop’s prices are currently higher than those of a similar shop located in a neighboring town.
D) The sandwich shop does not currently offer any healthful food items.
E) The health food restaurant is running its special prices as a temporary promotion and will be raising its prices at the end of the year.

PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWERS. hint: I got it wrong thinking its related to pricing of sandwiches.


Well, after reading this, I assumed that the owner is lowering prices just to compete with the healthy sandwich shop, even though that's not what consumers are going after. I therefore eliminated B, C and E because they deal with sales and pricing. I focused on A and D and chose A because D doesn't show a significant enough reason as A does of why the sandwich owner would reach such a conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 276
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2011, 02:51
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect???
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1733
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2011, 03:02
siddhans wrote:
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect???


E) The health food restaurant is running its special prices as a temporary promotion and will be raising its prices at the end of the year.
Although low prices could be the stimulus behind the customers move to health food restaurant, we can't be 100% sure of that. People may be going to health food restaurant for better food. If they are going for healthier food, then raising or reducing prices will have no effect in reinstating the earlier customer base in the sandwich shop.

A) Local consumers prefer the food at the sandwich shop to the food at the health food restaurant.
This statement says that people prefer food at sandwich shop, thus, there must be other factor that caused the reduction in customer. It could be prices. Thus, reducing prices can have effect.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 276
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2011, 03:09
fluke wrote:
siddhans wrote:
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect???


E) The health food restaurant is running its special prices as a temporary promotion and will be raising its prices at the end of the year.
Although low prices could be the stimulus behind the customers move to health food restaurant, we can't be 100% sure of that. People may be going to health food restaurant for better food. If they are going for healthier food, then raising or reducing prices will have no effect in reinstating the earlier customer base in the sandwich shop.

A) Local consumers prefer the food at the sandwich shop to the food at the health food restaurant.
This statement says that people prefer food at sandwich shop, thus, there must be other factor that caused the reduction in customer. It could be prices. Thus, reducing prices can have effect.



Okay, I see what you are saying but still not 100% satisfied...Doesnt E also partially say that people prefer food at sandwich shop and not at the healthy restaurant so if the sandwich shop reduces the price then because they make tasty sandwiches people will return back?? Sorry but I am a little confised :roll:
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1733
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2011, 03:32
siddhans wrote:
Okay, I see what you are saying but still not 100% satisfied...Doesnt E also partially say that people prefer food at sandwich shop and not at the healthy restaurant so if the sandwich shop reduces the price then because they make tasty sandwiches people will return back?? Sorry but I am a little confised :roll:


**********************************
E) The health food restaurant is
running its special prices as a temporary promotion and
will be raising its prices at the end of the year.
************************************

I don't think E says anything about sandwich shop or people's preference. It is just giving us information/fact about Health food restaurants. It says health food prices are low but will increase in future. That's it.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 61
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2012, 12:32
Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a health food restaurant opened its doors for business on the same block three months ago. The owner of the sandwich shop concludes that the best way to raise sales back to prior levels is to offer special sandwich prices that compete with the low prices at the health food restaurant.

Which of the following assumptions helps to justify the owner’s conclusion?
A) Local consumers prefer the food at the sandwich shop to the food at the health food restaurant.
B) Sales at the sandwich shop reached an all-time high six months ago.
C) The sandwich shop’s prices are currently higher than those of a similar shop located in a neighboring town.
D) The sandwich shop does not currently offer any healthful food items.
E) The health food restaurant is running its special prices as a temporary promotion and will be raising its prices at the end of the year.

If A is true(Local consumers prefer the food at the sandwich shop) then consumers are going to come back to sandwich shop anyway; why decrease price? A is not a necessary assumption to conclude "the best way to raise sales back to prior levels is to offer special sandwich prices that compete with the low prices at the health food restaurant."

I think E is not necessary either but it comes closest.
_________________
--Syed
" Some are desperate for success, and therefore destined for it."
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Jul 2017
Posts: 181
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
CAT Tests
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 11:04
siddhans wrote:
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect???


I believe the health food is using low price not the special price.

Special price is used by local restaurant to counter their sales and regain competition.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2019, 11:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sales at a local sandwich shop have been declining steadily since a he

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne