GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 17 Jan 2020, 09:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scepticism is as much the result of knowledge, as knowledge is of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 7: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Scepticism is as much the result of knowledge, as knowledge is of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Jul 2019, 02:09
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 145 sessions

71% (02:38) correct 29% (02:44) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 138 sessions

70% (01:23) correct 30% (01:13) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 150 sessions

51% (00:51) correct 49% (00:59) wrong

New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Passage # 188, Date : 05-Jul-2019
This post is a part of New Project RC Butler 2019. Click here for Details

Scepticism is as much the result of knowledge, as knowledge is of scepticism. To be content with what we at present know is, for the most part, to shut our ears against conviction. From the very gradual character of our education, we must continually forget and emancipate ourselves from knowledge previously acquired; we must set aside old notions and embrace fresh ones; and, as we learn, we must be daily unlearning something which it has cost us no small labour and anxiety to acquire.

And this difficulty attaches itself more closely to an age in which progress has gained a strong ascendency over prejudice, and in which persons and things are, day by day, finding their real level, in lieu of their conventional value. The same principles which have swept away traditional abuses, and which are making rapid havoc among the revenues of sinecurists, and stripping the thin, tawdry veil from attractive superstitions, are working as actively in literature as in society. The credulity of one writer, or the partiality of another, finds as powerful a touchstone and as wholesome a chastisement in the healthy scepticism of a temperate class of antagonists, as the dreams of conservatism, or the impostures of pluralist sinecures in the Church.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to:

(A) Doubt the credulity of writers who question established knowledge
(B) Discuss the revenues traditionally generated by the Papal sinecurist
(C) Discuss the consequences of the affiliation of knowledge with skepticism
(D) Critique the traditional methods of acquiring knowledge
(E) Discredit old notions and traditional conservatism

2. Each of the following can be inferred from the passage EXCEPT:

(A) Our learning is acquired with labor and anxiety.
(B) The Church has its share of sinecures.
(C) Traditional abuses have thrived under the onslaught of progress.
(D) Scepticism has had a concurrent presence with knowledge.
(E) Unlearning is an integral component of acquiring knowledge.

3. From the passage, it can be stated that the author views skepticism:

(A) as beneficial
(B) with contempt
(C) impassively
(D) as having both positive and negative aspects
(E) as the means to end the supremacy of sinecurists

Source: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/h/homer/ ... ction.html

Originally posted by dcummins on 04 Jul 2019, 17:07.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Jul 2019, 02:09, edited 2 times in total.
Updated
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
CAT Tests
Re: Scepticism is as much the result of knowledge, as knowledge is of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2019, 12:11
In this passage the author first talks about how scepticism and knowledge is interlinked. And then talks about how this is applicable to learning.
In the next paragraph he goes on to discuss about how this is more relatable in the age where progress has gained an edge over prejudice and gives some examples where this is applicable.

Q1. 1. The primary purpose of the passage is to:

(A) Doubt the credulity of writers who question established knowledge - The credulity of the writer is not doubted and there is no writer mentioned in the passage who questions established knowledge.
(B) Discuss the revenues traditionally generated by the Papal sinecurist - Nothing about this is mentioned in the passage
(C) Discuss the consequences of the affiliation of knowledge with skepticism - Literally what the whole passage talks about and is the correct answer.
(D) Critique the traditional methods of acquiring knowledge - No traditional methods of acquiring knowledge is discussed in the passage.
(E) Discredit old notions and traditional conservatism - There is no old notions or traditional conservatism that the author wants to discredit. The author only says we must set aside old notions and embrace fresh ones but he needs to elaborate on what those old notions are in order to actually discredit them. Either way, this is definitely not the primary purpose of the author.

2. Each of the following can be inferred from the passage EXCEPT:

(A) Our learning is acquired with labor and anxiety. - "we must be daily unlearning something which it has cost us no small labour and anxiety to acquire" From this line we can infer that learning is acquired with labor and anxiety.
(B) The Church has its share of sinecures. - "as the dreams of conservatism, or the impostures of pluralist sinecures in the Church." Therefore we can infer.
(C) Traditional abuses have thrived under the onslaught of progress. - "The same principles which have swept away traditional abuses" Nowhere in the passage the author says that traditional abuses thrive. Hence this cannot be inferred and is our correct answer.
(D) Scepticism has had a concurrent presence with knowledge. - The very first sentence in the passage supports this.
(E) Unlearning is an integral component of acquiring knowledge. - "we must continually forget and emancipate ourselves from knowledge previously acquired" This sentence helps us infer.

3. From the passage, it can be stated that the author views skepticism:

(A)as beneficial
(B) with contempt
(C) impassively
(D) as having both positive and negative aspects
(E) as the means to end the supremacy of sinecurists

If you look through the passage the author talks about scepticism and how it goes side by side with knowledge, later in the passage the author talks about credulity of writer and "healthy scepticism". A. as beneficial is the correct answer.

P.S. I must admit that I didnt understand the passage fully and whatever was comprehended by my small brain I wrote down and even though I am not sure if my thinking was 100% correct, the answers all turned out to be right :)
P
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scepticism is as much the result of knowledge, as knowledge is of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 17:57
SajjadAhmad

Sorry for the tag but I have this one thing to point out.

Sometimes the timer is placed above the question and sometimes it is placed below the question.

It has happened, at least with me, that I end up marking wrong selections and have later on realised that I answered the wrong question.

Can we try to avoid this? or let me know what you think about this.

Thank you!

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 22:02
TheNightKing wrote:
SajjadAhmad

Sorry for the tag but I have this one thing to point out.

Sometimes the timer is placed above the question and sometimes it is placed below the question.

It has happened, at least with me, that I end up marking wrong selections and have later on realised that I answered the wrong question.

Can we try to avoid this? or let me know what you think about this.

Thank you!

Hello TheNightKing

I have discussed the same issue with the founder of GC and then we had run a poll to get vote for the best position of the timer and timer above the question wins. Then i updated RC Formatting rules and now according to rule the timer should be placed above the question statement. The questions having timers below the question are posted before that rule although i have edited a large number of questions to set timer position but a lot of questions are still floating and hopefully i will catch up those.

Regards
Sajjad
Re: Scepticism is as much the result of knowledge, as knowledge is of   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2019, 22:02

Scepticism is as much the result of knowledge, as knowledge is of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics