Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Darden '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Darden '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Re: Schools for tech-related job opportunities for international students? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi mrzerog,

Like you said, it can be hard for international students to land jobs in functions such as marketing and sales, as they typically require understanding of cultural and other local nuances. In contrast, tech sponsors plenty of international students, and these days they recruit at several schools in sizeable numbers, most notably, as pointed out, on the West Coast. On the West Coast, schools outside Bay area too are prolific in picking MBAs for tech roles, Foster being an example. However, most tech recruitment happen at large established names such as Amazon, MS, Facebook, and Google. If you plan to recruit for companies such as Netflix and Spotify, you’ll most likely have to tread the networking path. Second, since most such companies do not recruit MBAs in large numbers, they may not have roles you’re looking for or they may require some tech background (which, btw, may be required even by some of the established names). If you’ve that goal, the best way forward is to talk to people - students and admissions office – at schools you shortlist and ask the right questions.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Schools for tech-related job opportunities for international students? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mrzerog wrote:
Hi guys, long time lurker here and this is my first post :)

I am a Vietnamese applying for this 2017-18 MBA season and my desired specialization is marketing, for either B2C or tech.

As my current job involves B2C marketing, initially my primary school list was mostly Midwest ones where most of CPG companies are located (Carlson, Wisconsin, Olin, Fisher...) yet I've heard it is extremely hard for international students to compete for B2C jobs as most companies are not willing to sponsor and just mainly recruit native students.

So as I've read on Poets&Quants, seems like the tech job prospect is much higher than CPG which is why I am changing my school shortlist strategy a bit. I'm just wondering:

1. Are the tech firms more open to hiring international students and do they usually recruit/ offer internship opportunities? As far as I know, almost all of them are located in the Bay Area. Which leaves the school options pretty limited. Considering the top 100 ranking, in the Bay Area, after excluding Stanford and Haas (which I am aware as too much of a stretch :( ) there is like only UC Davis left, whose reputation seems a bit downhill recently (not many people apply there as far as I've known).

2. So is there any other good, reach option schools (top 20-ish downwards) for tech job opportunities? (I'm also concerned with fellowship/scholarship options as given the employment uncertainty for international students, I don't want to graduate with a lot of debt). Is it wise to include other schools located outside SF like the LA area (USC, UCI) and WA (Washington-Foster) in the list? I've heard some other not-in-the-West names Illinois and Purdue are also known for tech, is that right?

I am mostly interested in the more creative names in the industry like Instagram, Youtube, Netflix, Spotify... as far as I've researched they are not the most common names for MBA recruiting so if anyone have experience with them and can shed a light that would be great!

Thank you very much!

(Sorry if this post appears twice, I remembered to post this on the Business School Discussion thread yesterday but somehow it just disappeared :( )

Hi Mrzerog!

It's a fallacy that only schools on the west coast are feeders into tech, and tech firms do love international students! I wouldn't go far as to say they have an advantage, but the deck isnt stacked against international students as it is in an industry like finance or consulting which is more biased towards domestic students.

All top 20 schools send students into tech, and not all tech is on the west coast. The firms you have listed all have fairly unstructured recruiting processes and are generally more difficult to secure offers at as a general rule of thumb. Sometimes they take interns and sometimes they don't. If your goal is to secure an offer at a top tech firm, I recommend sticking with a top-15 school. It would be very difficult to obtain an offer outside of these networks unless you are very well connected.

Best,
GMAT Club Bot