GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 04:47

R1 Decisions:

Michigan Ross Chat (US calls are expected today)  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  (Calls expected to start at 7am PST; Applicants from Asia will hear first)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Score discrepencies in VertiasPrep exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Score discrepencies in VertiasPrep exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 02:22
Hello everyone,

I did two VeritasPrep online exams. On the first one, my Verbal score was V34(71%) with the following breakdown:Total correct (51%), CR 33% correct, RC 75% correct and SC 50% correct.
On the second one my Verbal score was V28 (51%) with the following breakdown:Total correct (67%), CR 62% correct, RC 58% correct and SC 82% correct.

I cant't understand why my verbal score went down. Can somebody explain?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Re: Score discrepencies in VertiasPrep exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 05:46
Did you change anything on the second VP exam? The GMAT doesn't leave much to chance, so a small change can have a large impact on your score. Given that your breakdown for the second test was higher in all areas except RC, I'm wondering if you rushed in the beginning and got several early questions wrong. That would have made it difficult for you to catch up again.

It's also possible that you just had a bad day. Review the questions you got wrong (especially RC), and take another CAT when you feel ready. If you get a score similar to your first one, you'll know the V28 was a fluke.

Best of luck!

Audra Zook
GMAT and GRE Tutor
https://audrazook.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 06:08
Actually, I had more questions wrong at the beginning of the V34 than at that of the V28. Is it possible to be a fluke?
Shouldn't there be a consistency in scoring?
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 06:20
afa13 wrote:
Actually, I had more questions wrong at the beginning of the V34 than at that of the V28. Is it possible to be a fluke?
Shouldn't there be a consistency in scoring?
Thanks.

That's interesting. Veritas Prep has a nice article on the topic. I can't post links yet, but you can find it by searching for the title "Help! My Practice Test Score Seems Wrong!". There are many things that go into the score other than the right/wrong breakdown. It could be that you just happened to miss all of the "difficult" questions. And, of course, the VP tests are not official. Have you taken any GMATPrep tests?

Audra Zook
GMAT and GRE Tutor
https://audrazook.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 06:48
I am keeping the GMATPrep until I have exhausted all of my other study resources.
Thanks for the insight. A must read!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 11:17
afa13 wrote:
I am keeping the GMATPrep until I have exhausted all of my other study resources.
Thanks for the insight. A must read!

Taking that approach to using the GMAT Prep tests is basically a good idea. However, if you have the financial resources to purchase the two sets of GMAT Prep tests, then it may be a good idea to use one of the two free GMAT Prep tests soon.

Here's why.

The GMAT has a certain feel to it. For one thing, the questions on the actual GMAT tend to be tricky without being particularly complex. While Veritas has done a pretty good job of creating practice tests that match the real GMAT, many of their questions are not quite like actual GMAT questions, and when you are prepping, it's really good to have a sense of how the actual GMAT is. All too often, people don't prep optimally because they haven't taken any official practice tests and, thus, don't have accurate senses of what they have to do in order to hit their score goals.

So, now that you have taken two practice tests, and have a general sense of how to approach taking the GMAT, it may make sense to make your next practice test one of the GMAT Prep tests. By doing so, you will get a more accurate sense of what the GMAT will be like when you take it, and you will get a more accurate indication of how you would score on the GMAT were you to take it today.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 09:14
Thanks Marty. I appreciate the feedback.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Score discrepencies in VertiasPrep exam &nbs [#permalink] 06 Aug 2018, 09:14

Score discrepencies in VertiasPrep exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap