It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 590, planning to retake, need help in sorting study material

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Scored 590, planning to retake, need help in sorting study material [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 09:59
Hi,

I took my exam on July 26th, and a scored a really low 590 with 47 in Quant and 25 in Verbal. I realize I need to up my game in verbal a lot. Since, I am targeting ISB, I would want to retake the exam after two months. I messed up last time by not choosing good study material. Please suggest the best material for:

CR
RC
Quant
Sentence Correction

Thanks in advance!
N

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3300 [0], given: 171

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Scored 590, planning to retake, need help in sorting study material [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 15:47
Hi Neha,

Since the Round 1 application deadline for ISB isn't until the middle of October, you still have plenty of time to train for the GMAT and improve. The key word there is "train" though; however you studied before, you now have to make the necessary changes to how you're training to face the GMAT (which will require that you focus on learning/practicing some new Tactics). As I mentioned before though, you will likely have to commit to a consistent study routine for the next two months.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3300 [0], given: 171

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 8767 [0], given: 328

Re: Scored 590, planning to retake, need help in sorting study material [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 05:56
Dear Student,
You certainly need to up your game in the Verbal section.
The average score in ISB is around 700-710. To improve to a 700+ score, you will have to improve to a V38+ and a Q48+ score. Use the GMAT Planner to fix your Verbal / Quant scores to get to a 700+ score.

Your current performance
A score of V25 is around 40%. It clearly indicates that you lack in the core conceptual knowledge for majority of the concepts. You first have to work on the core skills and then learn how to apply the concepts to solve questions of medium and high difficulty.

How to improve in the Verbal section?
To prepare for the verbal portion of the GMAT, you need to have a very strategic approach. You can only succeed on it when you have the right combination of knowledge of concepts and application.
A student should know how to apply the learnt concepts properly to get a good score. In the actual GMAT exam, tricks and shortcuts tend to fail and only students with a proper approach to questions succeed.

Recommended Course
Given the improvement you’re looking at and the time you have for the preparation, I suggest you look at the Verbal Online course- the most successful Verbal course ( 700+ successful reviews on GMAT Club.)

The course starts from the basics, gives Real Time Feedback (very similar to what a private tutor does.) about the student’s progress and in a Progressive manner goes up to the highest difficulty level of questions.

You get Study plan(s) + Strategy to ace the test(through a live webinar/recording) + GMAT Planner (to plan you Verbal/Quant/Sectional scores to reach to your target score with both the courses.

With regards to Support during your preparation, you get complete supports any kind of queries (Subject matter + Strategy).
In addition to content for Verbal (Sc/CR/RC) , it will also provide you with 1200+ questions on Quant(> 50% of the question at 700+ level). This will help you improve your Quant score to Q49+.

You may contact me directly at support@e-gmat.com for strategy to improve in Verbal and Quant.

Hope this helps.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 8767 [0], given: 328

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 11:55
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Neha,

Since the Round 1 application deadline for ISB isn't until the middle of October, you still have plenty of time to train for the GMAT and improve. The key word there is "train" though; however you studied before, you now have to make the necessary changes to how you're training to face the GMAT (which will require that you focus on learning/practicing some new Tactics). As I mentioned before though, you will likely have to commit to a consistent study routine for the next two months.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi,

I can devote 3-4 hours daily and more if required. How should I proceed now, and what all more materials should I use?

N

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Re: Scored 590, planning to retake, need help in sorting study material   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2017, 11:55