Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:34 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22070 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Scored 600 thrice [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. Assuming that you took your official practice exams under realistic testing conditions, the results show that, on a good day, you are capable of scoring higher than V27. Thus, it’s quite possible that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. However, it’s also possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Although I’m unsure of how you prepared, it’s possible that, in your preparation, particularly in verbal, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, for you to hit your score goal, your preparation, particularly for verbal, probably needs to be more complete, meaning that you have to go through the various types of GMAT questions carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills.

For verbal specifically, you have to become more skilled at clearly defining the differences between trap choices and correct answers. Otherwise, you will get stuck guessing between two choices or be surprised to find that you incorrectly answered questions that you thought you answered correctly. Becoming more skilled in this way takes carefully analyzing all of the answer choices to lots of verbal questions to develop an eye for the logical differences between the choices. In other words, you have to go beyond answering practice questions and reading explanations to doing deep analysis of questions to learn to see everything that is going on in them.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

how to score a 700+ on the GMAT

Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi khyaatigupta

I'm sorry to hear that your most recent attempt didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your 1st Official GMAT? - Verbal was same; Quant I don't remember exactly
2) Over the last month, what type of study routine were you following? How many hours did you typically study each week? - I completed OG; I gave one GMAC official practice test every week
3) What study materials did you use for this recent attempt? What 'brands' of CATs/mocks have you used over the course of ALL of your studies? - GMAC; Manhattan; Magoosh
4) Over the last month, on what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? - In the GMAC tests, I was scoring above 48 in quant and 32-36 in verbal

Goals:
5) What is your overall goal score? - 700+
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to? - Jan intake 2022; IE, HEC, ESSEC, ESMT, ERASMUS

If you took your recent attempt at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you. - I got the ESR for my 1st test. It's quite expensive so I don't want to purchase again. Would sharing that suffice?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

APPRECIATE THE HELP!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
ok, so you scored 600 twice Khyaati.

In your last attempt, can you introspect why you scored around 100 points less in the actual exam than what you were scoring in your mocks?

Do you have a ESR that you can share? - I have it for my first test. I don't want to purchase it again as it was quite expensive and not very helpful (personally) - feel free to tell me advantages of purchasing it again if you feel differently. Otherwise I can share the first one!

Which mock tests did you appear in?
- GMAC official practice tests 3 to 6. Gave one every week in my 4 weeks of study
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
khyaatigupta wrote:
Hi,

So I'm really struggling with something and I do not know where im going wrong.

I first attempted gmat in Aug 2019. My first exam was almost without any prep. I got 570. The second one I bought magoosh guides and.. improved my score by 30 points and got a 600 (v28, q44). However, that time I was scoring around 630, 640 in my practice tests.

Then I decided to take one again in jan 2020 - this time I studied for a month. I started scoring bw 680-710 on my practice tests but I still ended up getting 600 (v28, q44) - EXACTLY the same score.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyone has any usggestions?

Hi Khyaati,

Could you please send me your ESR, if you have one? Because, it would be really premature to advice anything without knowing the complete information. And I would like to know a few more details such as the way you prepared till now, your weak areas, how you worked on them and the approach you use to solve the questions. This information will help me understand your concerns and guide you in a better way. I'll PM you the details.

You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16608 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Khyaati,

GMAT club is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, and many more. You are recommended to visit various posts and utilize this forum in the best efficient way.

Your score is decent. I fully understand your frustration. You were not probably on the right track or wrong direction in your study plans. You can surely do better.

With my GMAT tutoring, guidance, and counseling experience, we have to accept a fact with a pinch of salt that diagnostic/ mock test scores are above then what one should expect in a real test. There is often dropping in the score. Some students have even experienced a drop of 100 pointers. It is one of the realities, and your preparation should not sideline this fact.

You can schedule a Comprehensive counseling session for 30 mins with one of our experts:https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session for detailed advice on your current study plans.

A score of 600 is not bad, but a bit shaky, and a target score of 700+ seems realistic. A score of 600 tells that basics are intact, and the ground is prepared. You need to practice demanding and most challenging level questions and take as many mock tests as possible. Create the error log and try access to the specific areas and topics that require improvement.

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve a score of 700 or 700+. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

Possible score combinations: Q45/V41, Q46/V40, Q48/V38, Q50/V36

You can try our diagnostic test: https://www.mathrevolution.com/diagnost ... Memberfree] and receive a comprehensive study guide by topic. This test will help you understand your weak areas. You can also connect with our expert one to one for a complimentary session to understand the score better. There are also many free materials available in the GMAT Club.

We recommend learning unique, alternative time-saving approaches [VARIABLE APPROACH to hit DS questions accurately in less time and IVY Approach for PS questions]. You can check the applications of the mentioned approaches on our various posts in the GMAT club. Also, make sure that you revise your basic concepts every week on any one day.

Below are two useful links.
Ultimate Q51 guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate ... l#p1613600
Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html#p1641411

You can visit Math Revolution and get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons and free videos. 700+ level questions https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/questionbank) are separately available, too.

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up.
Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.
If we can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!
Punit Joshi
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 4
Send PM
Scored 600 thrice [#permalink]
Hello khyati, How many questions did you get wrong in verbal?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi khyaatigupta

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 3 Official Scores are remarkably similar to one another - and they show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 590 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Since these results go back almost 1.5 YEARS, it's likely that you have gotten 'stuck' at this particular score level - and you may have developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies that are keeping you from scoring higher. Before you will be able to consistently score 700+, we'll need to fix those bad habits (and ultimately replace them with new 'good habits').

While the ESR for your 1st attempt won't necessarily define who you are as a Test-taker NOW, I'll be happy to analyze it for you. Before you can include attachments with your posts/PMs, you need to have at least 5 posts in the forums (right now, you have 4 posts). If you post just once more, then you should be able to attach your ESR (and you can feel free to PM it to me directly if you would rather not post it publicly).

Since you know the specific Schools that you want to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

I have a few follow-up questions:
1) Which version(s) of the Official Guide have you used so far?
2) What specific application deadlines are you facing?
3) For your next attempt, are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
4) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
khyaatigupta wrote:
Hi,

So I'm really struggling with something and I do not know where im going wrong.

I first attempted gmat in Aug 2019. My first exam was almost without any prep. I got 570. The second one I bought magoosh guides and.. improved my score by 30 points and got a 600 (v28, q44). However, that time I was scoring around 630, 640 in my practice tests.

Then I decided to take one again in jan 2020 - this time I studied for a month. I started scoring bw 680-710 on my practice tests but I still ended up getting 600 (v28, q44) - EXACTLY the same score.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyone has any usggestions?

Hi Khyaati,

I was in a similar situation an year ago. I scored 570 in my first GMAT attempt with a breakdown of Q43 and V26. I didn't know what to do as I have finished learning all the concepts by then. But, that's when I got in touch with a mentor and started seeing GMAT differently. I understood that there's lot more than the concepts that I should learn to score well on GMAT. I enrolled in an online course called GMATWhiz and found it very helpful. I learned the right methods and strategies that helped me solve questions in a more structured manner.

If your score is stagnant, that means that you are struggling with the application part of the concepts. Make sure you learn them and apply properly while solving questions. I made a detailed debrief of my GMAT journey. You can go through it to understand how to prepare in the right way.

Debrief of My journey from 570 to 680 to 720:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-f ... l#p2648110

Hope it helped. All the best :)
GMAT Club Bot