Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 632 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 632 [0]
Send PM
Re: scored 620 (Q51 V23) - VERBAL NEMESIS [#permalink]
rohinipathi wrote:
U r born for GMAT.. Dont worry.. u will achieve it

Thanks ROHINI !!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
mustdoit,

You should easily be able to reach 700. If you manage to score 35 on the Verbal section and your quant scores falls by 1 or 2 points, in the worst case scenario, you'll touch 700.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Keeping fighting! All the very best for your next attempt

Cheers!
Ravi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Engineering~Finance
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
I'm sorry about your verbal. What resources did u use for SC. Did u use the Manhattan guides ? Did u try ur hands on the 1000SC doc. Maybe with a little more focused practice on verbal, u should be able to cross the line

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
smuvern wrote:
I'm sorry about your verbal. What resources did u use for SC. Did u use the Manhattan guides ? Did u try ur hands on the 1000SC doc. Maybe with a little more focused practice on verbal, u should be able to cross the line

Posted from my mobile device

where can I find 1000sc, 1000rc and 1000cr. I tried searching but no luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 632 [0]
Send PM
Started with a few SC’s which were not straightforward by any means. Then, a few CR’s and around the 6th question an RC. Got 4 RC’s in the usual intervals (6th, 14th 23rd, 33rd). I didn’t get any boldfaced CR’s (which I realized only after stepping out), which perhaps was an indication that I wasn’t doing too well. But I decided not to analyse much after what I read from pandeyrav’s debrief hours before I went to take mine. The surprising thing about the Verbal questions was I wasn’t sure about 60% of the answers. Though, I was able to zero down to 2 options (sometimes 3), I wasn’t confident about my final choices and so I was wasting a lot of time deciding as a result. And to add to that misery, I got a looooong RC around the 14th question about history on literature which I didn’t follow. Those 4 questions took a huge chunk of time and I wasn’t even sure if I was getting them right. I started getting frustrated. The next few CR’s and SC’s, I didn’t spend much time analyzing/deciding. Finally, I ran out of time on the last SC. Chose A. I think the CR’s weren’t too difficult but I always was a person who had to spend more than the average time on every CR to get it right. I couldn’t afford to do that on the exam as I was running behind time after the 2nd RC. As a result, I answered the Critical Reasoning questions without much reasoning and solely based on instinct. CR turned CI.

Regarding the SC’s, GMATPrepSC’s are close to the actual exam, but for some strange reason I thought the Verbal section was tougher than what I expected reading the various de-briefs. The SC guide definitely helped but it is not sufficient. I realized that one needs to have some inherent capability to ace the SC’s and RC’s on the Verbal section, else it has to be such that you have to incorporate the learnings in your daily usage (as pandeyrav rightly said). CR is all about managing the time to get it right and concentrating hard.

On the whole i was pretty much scoring around 37-40 range in all GMATPREPS / MGMATS for verbal. But GMAT on D Day seemed to be different ball game altogether.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
mustdoit wrote:
The SC guide definitely helped but it is not sufficient. I realized that one needs to have some inherent capability to ace the SC’s and RC’s on the Verbal section, else it has to be such that you have to incorporate the learnings in your daily usage (as pandeyrav rightly said). CR is all about managing the time to get it right and concentrating hard.

I wouldn't really agree with your comment that one needs an inherent capability to ace the SC section of the test. There are only a finite number of rules (though almost like an infinite number of idioms!) that the GMAT tests and most of these are covered in the MGMAT SC book.

RC is somewhat more difficult to improve upon. Though even in this section if you start looking at the way the passages are structured (e.g - one animal multiple traits, or one cell multiple functions etc.)/the way passages shift scope from paragraph to paragraph/or within a paragraph itself/or the way the answers are structured you should be able to make rapid strides.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
wow - great math score.
Here is my suggestions: gmat fiction and verbal study plan (under construction still) study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts