Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Scored a 740 with a low quant score, should I retake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi passportsizephoto,

First off, a 740/Q47 is an outstanding score, so you should apply to any Business School that you want to. Before you spend any more time on the GMAT, you should go over your current profile with an Admissions Expert. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Unless you're planning to apply to high-level Finance Programs (or some other type of Specialty Program), I can see no real reason why you would need to retest. If you've had some troubles with College-level "math" or statistics classes, and THAT ends up being an issue with your applications, then you can make up for that by taking the equivalent College Extension Course (or Courses) and doing well in them.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
passportsizephoto wrote:
Now, before you think I'm crazy, hear me out.

I gave my first GMAT earlier today and scored a 740, Q47 V45. While this may at first glance seem like a great score, I feel very uneasy about that quant score. Especially given that my undergraduate GPA is quite appalling and especially in quant courses, with multiple F's even.

On the test I found the quant section relatively easy but I think I made a few careless mistakes here and there. In addition, I also screwed up the timing towards the end and had to rush through the last two questions, most likely getting them wrong.

In terms of potential for improvement, I think I may be able to get a better score on Quant, but that being said, my highest score on a GMATPrep mock was 48. Do think I can push it a little more though. Verbal on the other hand, I'm definitely satisfied by.

I do not plan on applying this year and am instead aiming to apply next year. That gives me around 11 months before I need to start focusing on the other parts of the application including building an alternative transcript, making a career move and bolstering my extra-curriculars. My question is, do i spent a month of that time reappearing for the GMAT or should I leave the GMAT alone and focus on the other stuff? Also, the schools I'm looking to apply to are top 15 American programs

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hello passportsizephoto,

Do you know that the schools to which you're applying are specifically concerned with the quant score? You have an excellent overall score. Unless you feel quite confident that you could boost that quant score and not lower the verbal, it might be better off as is. I say this because if you spend too much time on quant you still risk not improving the score as much as you'd hoped and also lowering the verbal if your studies aren't balanced. On the other hand, if you're capable of juggling both, absolutely go for it.

Best of luck!
GMAT Club Bot