GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 21:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scoring 750 is easy, if you have got it sorted out.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Scoring 750 is easy, if you have got it sorted out.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Oct 2018, 03:03
Hi All. My name is Mohit, and I recently scored 750 on the GMAT (Q51,V40,IR8,AWA6).

I have personally experienced that getting a 700+ score on the GMAT can be very simple only if 4 things are appropriately taken care of.
GMAT has been unnecessarily complicated, and as with anything in the technological age, has seen much pomp and show. Marketing is taking precedence over matter and quality.

The 4 things that you should take care of are:

1. Strong basics and appropriate practice.

2. Giving a few mocks before the real exam.

3. Preparing an examination strategy

4. Working upon your nerves so that all that effort does not go waste.

As you can see, 2 points are for the all the knowledge you acquire, and 2 points are for the strategy and execution.
Well, that should also be the weightage you should give to these two parts.

Before we go on to discuss these 4 points, I would like to point out few factors that result in an unnecessary struggle and a low score.

They are:

1. Most institutes have a mediocre faculty, and the way you prepare for the GMAT the first time determines your basics. It is very difficult to unlearn some of the trash you have acquired. I will not take names, but I have seen a lot of so called reputed institutes having poor faculty.

2. Preparation is not targeted. Every person has different needs and in a class of multiple students, there is more time lost and less of actual learning takes place. Students feel that they are completing the course, but if you ask me, only 20% of the time actually adds value to an individual.

3. Over practice / Under practice: Both are harmful. Everybody would agree with the under practice part, but over practice! Yes, it is very important that your mind is all the time not cluttered with preparation. GMAT is not rote learning, and your mind will work the best only when it is not over-loaded. You should devote time in solving targeted questions.

4. Too much of time waste discussing with people who themselves have no idea. This includes wasting time on forums, with friends after class etc. Instead, you should focus on seeking guidance from a qualified spurce, and spending some time with yourself to reflect on your strengths, weaknesses, and approaches. Remember, we don't want GMAT preparation to be years of an experience, or a hobby that we enjoy, but to do with it in a few months.

Now let's come back to those 4 points we talked about in the beginning.

1. Without strong basics, forget 700+. Yes, I am being very straight. You may practise 5 hours a day, and solve thousands of questions, you won't make it. Because, GMAT will throw up something new, and all those short-cuts and silly methods taught to you for specific kinds of questions will fall flat. Therefore, it is very necessary to do some background search before you land up in an institute or with a faculty.

2. Giving mocks helps you know of your strengths, weaknesses, time management, and shows you the reality. This stage should be after you have completed atleast 50% of the syllabus. You should attempt GMAC mocks to get the real picture, and some harder mocks so that your preparation is 10% more than required. With stabilisation in the score above 700 should you book your date so that you are comfortable, and don't panic as is the case when you have booked a date but the mocks reflect a poor score.

3. Devising an examination strategy is important to play it smart, and maximise your score. This is very individual specific, and one should carve out his own strategy, after reflecting on the mocks. Just to give you an example, many big brands ask you to devote more time to the initial questions, and lesser for the latter ones. Well, that may work if say, you want a 48 in quant, but if you want a 50 or 51, I don't see how that would make sense. When you are on your way to 51, the difficulty of the questions reaches the sky in the latter part of the exam, and you cant solve those questions in 1 minute, when for the initial easy questions you had taken more than 2 minutes. My take is solve all questions as soon as it is possible, according to the difficulty level. With this strategy, I had nearly 15 minutes for the last 3-4 questions in quant.

4. What distinguishes a 700 from a 750 is how well you can control your nerves. Exam time is anxiety time for most, and it is difficult to give one's best. Without this, all that preparation can get you around 700 but for that final push, you need to have control over thoughts and emotions during those crucial hours. I am surprised how this crucial factor has been neglected by the students and the trainers. In this regard, Yoga and meditation can work wonders to an unimaginable extent. Maintaining the focus for almost 4 hours, not getting burnt out, evading the delusions midway that I have flunked it are crucial. I have been doing Yoga since 10 years, and those seeking guidance on this front can get in touch with me.

I think much has been already been talked about the good material that is available today, both online and offline, so I won't go into that.

If somebody is inquisitive, and wants my personalised guidance/mentorship in anything related to GMAT, feel free to drop a comment/message.

I am also providing personalised coaching to those who so desire, and are willing to give in their best. You can get in touch with me at: gmat.mohitg@gmail.com

Visit & subscribe my blog: http://www.theseekingdesire.blogspot.com for regular strategies and insights on the GMAT exam, motivational posts, and techniques to enhance your mental strength and capability.

"The past cannot be changed, the future is yet in your hands"

Originally posted by theseekingsoul on 21 Sep 2018, 11:58.
Last edited by theseekingsoul on 15 Oct 2018, 03:03, edited 5 times in total.
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scoring 750 is easy, if you have got it sorted out.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 12:20
theseekingsoul wrote:
4. What distinguishes a 700 from a 750 is how well you can control your nerves.....

Perfect words theseekingsoul - Mohit

Congrats on the awesome GMAT score and all the best for the application phase. Hope you
get into your first choice school. It would be very helpful if you could discuss in detail your
strategy to beat verbal

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 22:47
Congratulations!! very insightful debrief.

That Q51 is just awesome. Any tips & strategies you want to share to go from Q49 to Q51, will be helpful.

All the best!

Cheers,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 00:20
pushpitkc wrote:
theseekingsoul wrote:
4. What distinguishes a 700 from a 750 is how well you can control your nerves.....

Perfect words - Mohit

Congrats on the awesome GMAT score and all the best for the application phase. Hope you
get into your first choice school. It would be very helpful if you could discuss in detail your
strategy to beat verbal

Sure! I'll come out with a detailed post regarding the same, soon!
Meanwhile, you can message me if anything urgent or for a specific query.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 00:24
GyMrAT wrote:
Congratulations!! very insightful debrief.

That Q51 is just awesome. Any tips & strategies you want to share to go from Q49 to Q51, will be helpful.

All the best!

Cheers,
GyM

Yeah, a lot of people have asked for the same.
That 49 to 51 is the most critical part.
I'll write a post on that soon, but the most important thing is building strong fundamentals and not over-relying on strategies and short-cuts.
You can message me for a specific query or we can have a quick call if you want to know something meanwhile.

Best Wishes!
Mohit
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 04:04
Dear Mohit, hearty congratulations on your sterling score!

A large part of your post is dedicated towards disparaging the GMAT faculty, something I found a bit disappointing.

Your comment that most institutes have a mediocre faculty, seems to be quite sweeping, though I understand that this comment might be based upon your personal experience(s) with institutes.

You are entitled to your opinions and there is little that can come out of debating this, least of all, a change in your opinion.

By the way, one prominent reason why many faculty may not score well even after years of teaching, is that over time, most faculty tend to specialize in one of the subjects (Quant or Verbal) and hence, may not score a cumulatively high score.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 08:22
EducationAisle wrote:
Dear Mohit, hearty congratulations on your sterling score!

A large part of your post is dedicated towards disparaging the GMAT faculty, something I found a bit disappointing.

Your comment that most institutes have a mediocre faculty, seems to be quite sweeping, though I understand that this comment might be based upon your personal experience(s) with institutes.

You are entitled to your opinions and there is little that can come out of debating this, least of all, a change in your opinion.

By the way, one prominent reason why many faculty may not score well even after years of teaching, is that over time, most faculty tend to specialize in one of the subjects (Quant or Verbal) and hence, may not score a cumulatively high score.

Don't find my comments towards the faculty disparaging. It is the reality. A few institutes (I hope yours) may have some good people, but what I said comes from not only my experience, but the experience of a whole lot of other people in my network. I also read a post somewhere where the founders of e-GMAT had brought up the same point, where institutes charge a fortune but deliver little. I hope you are one of the change makers!
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 08:28
Hi Mohit, extremely curious to know why you would specifically quote an online-class provider, to substantiate your rant against brick-n-mortar institutes.

Hope you do realize that this would perfectly suit any online-class provider's strategy (the way it would suit any brick-n-mortar institute's strategy, to opine that online classes are not as effective).

I think we need to understand the internal dynamics here.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 15:05
Congrats Mohit! Thanks for sharing your valuable experience. I’m sure it would inspire all of us who are trying to accomplish what you managed to achieve working tirelessly.

Wish you luck for your applications. I’m looking forward to your another story of getting into your top dream school :)

Most Comprehensive Article on How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT (NEW)
Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 00:11
dabaobao wrote:
Congrats Mohit! Thanks for sharing your valuable experience. I’m sure it would inspire all of us who are trying to accomplish what you managed to achieve working tirelessly.

Wish you luck for your applications. I’m looking forward to your another story of getting into your top dream school :)

Thanks for those kind words!

I would love to share that story you mentioned about :)

Also, I would be happy to help in case someone needs guidance regarding GMAT.

Best Wishes
Mohit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 01:24
theseekingsoul, a lot of what you said resonates with me. I specialize in taking students from the 600's to the 700's, and I always stress that they need to improve their fundamentals first. To control the nerves, it is very important that you walk into the testing room confident but not complacent. Therefore, I teach my students in such a way that they know what to do in any situation, even when they are thrown a curve ball. The last couple of days leading to the exam is also very crucial; this is when you want to maintain focus without getting burned out.

Congratulations on mastering the art of GMAT studying. 750 is a well-deserved score. And thank you for sharing your experience and insights with us!

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.

$80/hour as of May 2018.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 02:53
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
theseekingsoul, a lot of what you said resonates with me. I specialize in taking students from the 600's to the 700's, and I always stress that they need to improve their fundamentals first. To control the nerves, it is very important that you walk into the testing room confident but not complacent. Therefore, I teach my students in such a way that they know what to do in any situation, even when they are thrown a curve ball. The last couple of days leading to the exam is also very crucial; this is when you want to maintain focus without getting burned out.

Congratulations on mastering the art of GMAT studying. 750 is a well-deserved score. And thank you for sharing your experience and insights with us!

HanoiGMATtutor, thanks for the kind words.

I think students are beginning to realise the importance of building strong fundamentals.

Aptitude based tests are not something that you can get away with shortcuts. For an exemplary performance, you need to build that aptitude!

Cheers to the work you are doing!
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 21:38
theseekingsoul wrote:

Yeah, a lot of people have asked for the same.
That 49 to 51 is the most critical part.
I'll write a post on that soon, but the most important thing is building strong fundamentals and not over-relying on strategies and short-cuts.
You can message me for a specific query or we can have a quick call if you want to know something meanwhile.

Best Wishes!
Mohit

Thanks bud! that sounds great.

Yes i will PM you with a few specific queries, will appreciate if you will have a look at them.

Thanks,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 09:24
Hi Mohit
Congrats on such a nice score on the Gmat.
Thanks for sharing a detailed debrief. Hope it will helps all.
All the best for the applications.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 09:42
Congrats on a getting a very nice score on GMAT.
Thanks for sharing a detailed debrief. All the best for the applications.

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Oct 2018, 22:53
souvonik2k wrote:
Hi Mohit
Congrats on such a nice score on the Gmat.
Thanks for sharing a detailed debrief. Hope it will helps all.
All the best for the applications.

Thanks Souvonik2k.
Hope you are doing well.
My effort was to demystify the GMAT a little bit, so that people realise that with due diligence, it is easy to score high.

Best of luck with your preparation.

Regards
Mohit

Originally posted by theseekingsoul on 01 Oct 2018, 23:41.
Last edited by theseekingsoul on 04 Oct 2018, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 05:25
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
Congrats on a getting a very nice score on GMAT.
Thanks for sharing a detailed debrief. All the best for the applications.

Thanks CAMANISHPARMAR

The applications phase is another task in itself.

Hope to come up with a good one!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 23:01
On the request of the aspirants, I have created a blog, wherein I will regularly share GMAT strategies and insights, motivational posts, and tips on improving your mental strength and capability.

The link is : www.theseekingdesire.blogspot.com

Thanks
Mohit
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 05:10
"1. Strong basics and appropriate practice."
Having strong basics is difficult!

Also
"Most institutes have a mediocre faculty, and the way you prepare for the GMAT the first time determines your basics. It is very difficult to unlearn some of the trash you have acquired. I will not take names, but I have seen a lot of so called reputed institutes having poor faculty"
You should name names. Others still preparing should be aware of weaknesses in tutoring so they can avoid or at least develop coping strategies. Maybe the institutions would improve their output too.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 02:30
philipssonicare wrote:
"1. Strong basics and appropriate practice."
Having strong basics is difficult!

Also
"Most institutes have a mediocre faculty, and the way you prepare for the GMAT the first time determines your basics. It is very difficult to unlearn some of the trash you have acquired. I will not take names, but I have seen a lot of so called reputed institutes having poor faculty"
You should name names. Others still preparing should be aware of weaknesses in tutoring so they can avoid or at least develop coping strategies. Maybe the institutions would improve their output too.

Will keep your considerations into picture for the upcoming posts.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scoring 750 is easy, if you have got it sorted out. &nbs [#permalink] 15 Oct 2018, 02:30

Scoring 750 is easy, if you have got it sorted out.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap