Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:35 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Second GMAT Online attempt: Interesting Detail [#permalink]
Expert Reply
KartikSingh09 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep

The first thing I did after the test was open those specific questions on the forum and check for any changes. The thing is I got those questions wrong during practice and also while going through my error log and had them marked in the same. The argument was exactly the same but the question stem and answer choices were different, even the type of question was same (weakener)!

Wow

Just never would have expected that.

I guess with a different stem and answer choices the questions are performing correctly on the GMAT ... I guess.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Second GMAT Online attempt: Interesting Detail [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi KartikSingh09,

To start, a 710/Q48 is an outstanding Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Schools that interest you. Are you planning to apply sometime soon (and which Schools are you planning to apply to?)?

While we are NOT supposed to discuss specific questions that you saw on your Official GMAT, we can probably discuss some of this in general terms. For example, when you say that the prompts are essentially copies of material that you saw in the OG, which VERSION of the OG are you referring to? I suppose it's possible that the GMAT question writers could (on rare occasions) dip back into older material to fashion 'new' questions, but that is definitely NOT the norm (and it's also possible that those 3 prompts were 'experiemental' questions - meaning that they did not count towards your Score). All things considered, if you actually did have prior knowledge of 3 of the 36 Verbal questions that you faced, then that could very easily have led to an 'inflated' Score result.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47 (Online)
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Maybe GMAC changes answer choices for some older questions to reuse them. In my second online attempt, I got an SC question that seemed familiar in its structure and answer splits to one I had done before.

As for quant there were a couple of questions that were so interesting that I kept thinking about them after the exam. I knew I got them wrong but was able to work them out later on my own. Maybe you can try asking about the concept tested on some online math forums without mentioning that it's from the GMAT?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations KartikSingh09! Very interesting about the questions.
I guess they may be running out of questions since it was just 1 but 3 questions. Interesting tidbit of information!

I guess this proves it only more and more valid that you should cover all of the OG questions and understand why each of them you got right/wrong.

P.S. We do not allow posting exact test questions but it is OK to post SIMILAR ones to illustrate the point.
Thank you so much for asking and abiding by the community rules :thumbsup:

KartikSingh09 wrote:
Hi,

I gave my 2nd GMAT online test yesterday and scored 710(Q48, V39, IR 5, AWA 6) after scoring 660 on the first take.

Interestingly on the verbal section, I came across 2 CR questions and 1SC question that was a word to word copy of OG questions but offered slightly different answers choices. Does this happen often or is this something you’ve heard of or experienced? I’m not sure I’m at liberty to say/point to the questions I faced but if this is rare or an outlier do you think my score of 39 reflects this? Could it be inflated for that reason?

Also, I remember a few questions on Quant (question prompt) that I couldn’t solve on the test but I don’t remember the answer choices, however I would like to know how to solve those. Am I allowed to post those questions here? bb

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts