It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seeking advice on round strategy

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Seeking advice on round strategy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 18:56
Okay so I've been going crazy these last couple of weeks trying to finalize on my application strategy and am hoping some of you can lend me advice!!

Essentially I need to decide which schools to apply to in which round. Here is my prioritized list with the round I am currently targeting for each:

1. Harvard (R1)
2. Stanford (R1)
3. Berkeley (R1)
4. Tuck (R2)
5. Kellogg (R2)

What it boils down to is my GMAT (680: 81% Q / 82% V) and whether I should retake. I'm confident in the rest of my application but know I can score higher on the GMAT, as I didn't study for it originally. However with R1 deadlines just over a month away I'm feeling a bit stressed finding time to study, write essays and prep my recommenders.

What do you think? Should I...

- Forget the GMAT and forge ahead with my essays for R1.
- Focus on raising my GMAT and perhaps apply to 1-2 lower priority schools in R1, saving a stronger/more polished app for my top picks in R2.
- Other?

Any thoughts or advice would be very very much appreciated...I wake up each day with a different plan and it's the clock is ticking...

Thanks!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Re: Seeking advice on round strategy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 21:41
Well this is going to be very debateable, but I would break similiar schools.

Harvard/Stanford in different rounds

Tuck/Berkeley in different rounds (Berkeley round 1 and 2 are REALLY close together, so maybe do round 1 berkeley)

Kellogg round 2 (just because you probably have more time)

Also many people say that it doesn't matter all that much between the rounds just make sure you have enough time to put together a good application.

Personally, I would do all the schools I really really want to go to round 1. So harvard, kellogg 1.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2008, 07:55
Depending on your background, you may want to retake the GMAT. You are going to be about 40 points below the average for the schools you are applying to (50 points for stanford). Its a significant difference and really can sink your chances at some of these schools unless you have some amazing background...judging by my classmates most people are very impressive so I can only think that the people with the GMATs far below average are ones coming from unique backgrounds like non-profit, teach for america, and things like that.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2008, 09:34
Thanks for the input...it sounds like retaking the GMAT would be in my best interest. Even if I study for ~1 month that should give me time to put together an app for Berkeley.

Hopefully the relatively equal chances between R1 and R2 hold true this year, although I hear Stanford strongly recommends applying in R1.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2008, 10:17
If you got a 680 without studying, I think you can bump up your score big time with minimal studying (2-3 weeks including 1-2 practice CATS each week).

TL wrote:
Thanks for the input...it sounds like retaking the GMAT would be in my best interest. Even if I study for ~1 month that should give me time to put together an app for Berkeley.

Hopefully the relatively equal chances between R1 and R2 hold true this year, although I hear Stanford strongly recommends applying in R1.

"George is getting upset!"

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 29

Re: Seeking advice on round strategy   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2008, 10:17

Seeking advice on round strategy

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap