GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 23 Jan 2020, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sept 12: Live Chat with Career Services Directors of Tuck School

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Sept 12: Live Chat with Career Services Directors of Tuck School  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 08:13

Tuck Q&A with Career Services

Thursday, Sept 12, 2019 12pm ET (9am PDT / 5pm British time / 9:30pm IST)

Signup to get email reminder of this chat.

Join Link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php

Tuck Career Services brings a unique approach to assist students in achieving consistent career success, drawing on the key strengths that make Tuck unique – its small class size and sole focus on the full-time MBA, its close-knit and passionate network of supportive alumni, and its well-resourced group of expert career advisors.

Join Stephen Pidgeon, Executive Director of Career Services, and Deirdre O’Donnell, Director of Career Services and Advising, for a career-focused online Q&A session. They're happy to field all of your questions about the career support you’ll receive at Tuck; the internship and post-MBA career search, the student recruiting experience, the top hiring companies of Tuck students, and more.

Signup to get email reminder of this chat.

------------------------------------ Presenters of This Session ------------------------------------

Stephen Pidgeon, Executive Director of Career Services

Before attending Tuck, Stephen directed and produced multiple television series and a movie. Post-MBA, he worked as an engagement manager at McKinsey in London, focusing on health care consulting with a functional specialty in organizational design. Stephen joined Tuck Career Services in 2010. He is the author of the bestselling books “How To Get A Job In Consulting” and “Case Interviews for Beginners.”
Education: University of Westminster, Tuck MBA
Focus: Media & Entertainment

Deirdre O’Donnell, Director of Career Services and Advising

Deirdre joined Tuck Career Services in 2008 after a 24-year career at Lehman Brothers in their fixed income division. While at Lehman, Deirdre also took an active role in recruiting as head of Lehman’s core recruiting team for sales and trading and ultimately became global head of diversity recruiting for the firm.
Education: St. Lawrence University
Focus: Finance (all aspects, including real estate)

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sept 12: Live Chat with Career Services Directors of Tuck School  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 21:39
Update: Details of presenters added in the first post.

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Sept 12: Live Chat with Career Services Directors of Tuck School  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 08:07
This chat is about to start in an hour. Join here https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Thursday, Sept 12, 2019 12pm ET (9am PDT / 5pm British time / 9:30pm IST)
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Sept 12: Live Chat with Career Services Directors of Tuck School  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2019, 07:46

Transcript of the chat with Tuck Career Services Directors.

Stephen: Hi guys, this is Stephen - Executive Director of Tuck Career Services. Nice to meet you!! How can I help?

Deirdre: Hi all, this is Deirdre in the Career Services Office at Tuck.

Hi Stephen and Deirdre, Thank you for joining our chatroom. Can you please introduce yourself for our users?

Stephen: I’m Stephen. I started my career in film and tv for 10 years, then came to Tuck as a student back in 2005. Went to McKinsey after Tuck then rejoined here to work in Career Services in 2011. Now I run this awesome team that helps Tuck students find jobs

Deirdre: This is Deirdre and I am the Director of Career Advising at Tuck. I work primarily with students interested in finance. I spent 25 years at Lehman Brothers as a banker, in sales and trading and as Global Head of Diversity Recruiting before joining Tuck.

What are the several real estate firms that hire from Tuck and what is the scope of internship for Entrepreneurship students?

Deirdre: Real Estate firms are often hiring one or two students at a time so there are many names making it hard to list in a chat room. The frequent MBA/Tuck employers include Hines, Beacon Capital, RMR, American Tower.

Hi, thanks a lot for taking the time to chat with us! Say my primary focus is recruiting for consulting. I know that starts right away along with investment banking. How feasible is it to recruit for a 2nd industry (say entertainment)? Those tend to do just-in-time recruiting from my understanding, but what would you do in the situation where you’ve already received internship offers for consulting but would like to recruit for other industries as well?

Stephen: Good question. All campus recruiting is on the same timeline with interviews in January for internships. As you say, you may get an offer from that process and then have to weigh the decision to take it, or to wait for an industry like media that does more recruiting in Spring. There’s no easy answer to that, but the best thing to do during FAll is do lots of outreach in media to give yourself an understanding of how feasible those jobs might be for you.

Hi Stephen and Deirdre, thank you for your time today. I believe that Tuck’s strong alumni network plays an important role in career advancement for the students. Besides that, what do you think are the success factors for Tuck graduates in the job market? What sets them apart from those from other schools? What do you think attract companies to hire them?

Stephen: Key success factors for Tuck students - recruiters tell us they love that Tuck students have excellent team skills. These come into play straight away at entry level, and then particularly emerge as alumni rise up as leaders in an organization. In addition, Tuck’s very hands on approach to teaching topics like analytics ensures our alumni hit the ground running with firm knowledge of how to use key tools

Deirdre: In my previous experience hiring Tuck students we always found them to be team players. They were the students you could insert in a dysfunctioanl business environment and make things work. Good attitude and smarts !

Deirdre: I think the study group experience teaches Tuck students to work with people who have disparate skill sets, and different backgrounds. It is tremendous preparation for working on teams in a business environment

How difficult is it for Canadians to recruit for positions in the US? Do you find most end up taking jobs in offices in Toronto or other major cities in Canada? Are Canadians typically successful in securing a TN visa with employers or do most have to go through the H1B lottery with other non-NAFTA international students?

Stephen: Many Canadian students do choose to go home, but I Think that is driven by personal reasons, not immigration. IT is an advantage to be able to recruit in your ’home country’ in terms of finding a cultural fit, but it is not essential

How does the recruitment process work for International students? On the backdrop of a stringent work visa under the Trump administration? What can an international student expect in reality?

Stephen: Regarding immigration concerns, I’d advice students to seek out global firms that can move you if any one country does not work out with immigration.

I come from Advertising background and have inclination towards Marketing. How are the career prospects after Tuck and what are the opportunities that Tuck has to offer from jobs perspective

Deirdre: Many of the major consumer goods companies recruit at business schools and they tend to have formalized programs. We have see a big uptick in digital marketing and ecommerce so that would be another avenue to pursue. Big tech also has opportunities in marketing.

What are the several real estate firms that hire from Tuck and what is the scope of internship for Entrepreneurship students?

Stephen: IT’s interesting to reflect that many of the world’s biggest companies are really marketing driven companies (Amazon etc), so there are definitely a lot of opportunities to build a career in the space

Deirdre: Tuck has a Center for Entrepreneuship and someone in Career Services dedicated to students interested in that space. There are multiple ways to do experiential learning in entrepreneurship in order to help build your resume. There are quite a few students who have left Tuck and started companies.

What is the reality of getting consulting during internship and subsequently, recruitment post MBA in consulting, for people who have absolutely no consulting background ?

Stephen: Almost all of the people who go into consulting do so from no consulting background (curiously, those who have already done it are coming to do an MBA to transition out of it!). Consulting companies are not looking for consulting experience, they are looking for qualities such as - problem solving, getting things done, love of learning, strong people skills. You can demonstrate these in the interview, which is a very rigorous process, so it is not essential that you have done the same job in the past

Hi, Stephen and Deirdre! Thank you for arranging this valuable event. It would be grateful if you can elaborate a bit more about geographic statistics of employers for recent Tuck students.

Deirdre: Many employers have multiple locations . In the US the locations are 49% East Coast , 23% west coast,11% midwest, 9% outside the US

Does this 2 year MBA comes under STEM programme?

Stephen: Our MBA is not designated a STEM degree, but we do have a joint Masters in Engineering Management with our Thayer School of Business. An increasing number of students are taking this as a dual degree, which allows them to take engineering classes, and get access to the 3 year OPT

Hello, thank you for talking time to chat with us! My question is: those who are interested in consulting post MBA and coming from non-consulting background, what pre-MBA preparation would you recommend so peeps are prepared to put their best foot forward as soon as they arrive on campus?

Stephen: I wrote a book which is a good introduction to MBA recruiting for consulting - https://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Job-Cons ... b_title_bk

Also - immerse yourself in global business news. I"d recommend subscribing to The Economist and Bloomberg BWeek. Other than that, you will get everything you need once you get on campus.

Is there a career field that military veterans commonly pursue? Is there one they tend to struggle to achieve?

Deirdre: Veterans tend to be in demand at many firms. They appreciate the skills and experience the military develops in people. Banking and Consulting hire many veterans but they also find leadership rotation programs valuable because they expose them to many different functions which is helpful for someone with no previous "business" experience.

Dear Deirdre I didn’t mean my question for a student looking for a recruitment from two industries but it was for a student who wants to know what might be his passion among the two industries "previous Question"(what is your advice for a student interested in two industries?)

Deirdre: We always suggest that students do some career exploration. This could mean attending company briefings, speaking with alumni in different industries of interest, and going on industry treks. You will have plenty of opportunity to explore multiple options but we would strongly advise you to do some of this exploration before arriving on campus. It is BUSY once you arrive!

Hi Stephen and Dierdie. Thanks for arranging the event. I primarily like the offbeat location of Tuck away from the chaos. Yet what are some of the fun activities that Hanover has to offer?

Deirdre: Hanover is a little (well, a lot actually) like a vacation resort. There are many many outdoor activities to engage in. Dartmouth has its own ski resort a 15 minute drive from school, there is hiking, biking, kayaking etc. In other words, if you like the outdoors, you’d like it here. In addition, Hanover and the surrounding area have all the facilities you’d expect from a world-class college town in terms of the arts, sports etc. I also love the Dartmouth campus itself, there are so many beautiful quiet spots to explore.

Is a non-traditional background (logistics) in combination with the strive of heading into consulting too tall of an order for an international applicant?

Stephen: This will sound like an oversimplification but it’s really true - consulting companies are not really interested in what you did before your MBA. They are VERY interested in what qualities you have - problem solving, getting things done, people skills etc. If your prior job has given you the opportunity to demonstrate these skills it can certainly help.

What kind of roles do airline companies (American, Delta, United, Southwest) hire Tuck MBA candidates to fill?

Stephen: Airline companies are not a large part of our recruiting, but certainly students have gone to them. Usually to internal strategy roles which are a good fit for the skills built during the MBA.

Are the career services at Tuck available to Tuck alumni, as well? Thanks again, Stephen and Deirdre, for joining us and taking questions!

Stephen: We just hired a full time career adviser for alumni, so we are able to offer lifelong career support!

Thank you for your answers earlier! Additional question from me, can students participate internship during semesters or allowed only during the summer? Do you have data of geographical/industry breakdown of where students did their internship? I wonder how much internship opportunities are available for finance aspirers including myself

Deirdre: You can take a look at the Tuck Employment Report to get a sense of the geographic locations of internships. There are students who do unofficial internships and/or independent study in their second year which often means working remotely for a firm. Your first year can be quite busy so the informal internships during the school term is usually a second-year activity.

How often are students able to convert their undergraduate experience (that may not necessarily correspond to their work experience) into working in a specific stream of consulting. Say for example a student who holds a BA in Economics, worked in the tech sector pre-MBA but now wants to do strategy consulting specifically on economic policy?

Stephen: Certainly pre-MBA experience, undergrad work, or simply subject matter interest, can play a part on your career once you are a consultant. Once you are in, it is really up to you to navigate your career taking into account the available project mix at that company/office at that time. Different firms have different approaches to how you get staffed, but they all like to hear about any passions/interests you have in certain sectors.

If a person already has a management diploma in his country and wants to enhance his career prospects by doing MBA degree course, how does application viewed for that applicant?

TuckAdmissions: We do not typically admit applicants who have already earned an MBA. If you hold a similar graduate degree that is not an MBA, use the optional essay to explain why you need an MBA in addition to your prior degree. We consider the Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) from Indian universities to be the equivalent of an MBA and typically do not admit applicants who have earned this degree.

Stephen: I’ll take the time to update you on some changes in our office recently. We have hired a full time career adviser based in San Francisco to add strong support to students seeking tech. We have also recently hired another McKinsey alum (in addition to me) to strengthen our consulting advising. It is in line with our mission of being personal and connected, and we are finding students really appreciating our broad range of advice

Is it true for a consultant your salary will be less if you are an international student graduate compared to Green card holders?

Stephen: No

Hi, I didn’t make it to Tuck info session since it was no the same day with my GMAT test, would this have a negative effect on my application? Since there is a place on the application form asking us to state our info session attendance situation

TuckAdmissions: No. This will not impact your application.

Stephen: Thanks guys, I’ve really enjoyed chatting. Good luck
Sept 12: Live Chat with Career Services Directors of Tuck School   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2019, 07:46

Sept 12: Live Chat with Career Services Directors of Tuck School

new topic post reply Update application status