Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Serious career advice needed [#permalink]
Thanks for the reply! I like the idea of pro bono financial support but I don't know where to start. I have started contacting some people on Volunteer match etc but I don't get the reply from them most of the time. Also I see most of the opportunities which are full time. Of course, I can't quit my job for the full time support.

The other thing I am not sure of "what really counts?". I mean think about it, say I write on my MBA application that I am very good manager as I have been very good at managing my kitchen and keeping the apartment in good shape. Does it count? No. I know people are going to say, "What crap!". The same argument applies to if I have been helping in my local community library, does that count? I think, No. That's where I need to see where I should spend time optimally with respect to the charitable work which is for good cause and also beneficial for me. Rather than just spending time for no good.

Also, I have plenty of interests, not really limited to one passion, really I was not born with talent, whatever I have is because of sheer hard work, and I know whatever I get into, I simply start loving it, be it building a web site, managing a project, learning a product, planning for an event, learning new language, meeting new people or whatever you can think of including dance, music, social work etc. Question is where should I spend the limited time to get most out of it. At this point of time, yes, the goal is to get into a B school. For that, I can limit my activities and focus on what is required for good B school application. For the rest, I have my whole life to enjoy.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
sgupta0827 wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I like the idea of pro bono financial support but I don't know where to start. I have started contacting some people on Volunteer match etc but I don't get the reply from them most of the time. Also I see most of the opportunities which are full time. Of course, I can't quit my job for the full time support.

Sorry, I can't be much help there. Keep scouring the various volunteer websites and maybe do a Google on organizations that do specifically what you want to do.

sgupta0827 wrote:
The other thing I am not sure of "what really counts?". I mean think about it, say I write on my MBA application that I am very good manager as I have been very good at managing my kitchen and keeping the apartment in good shape. Does it count? No. I know people are going to say, "What crap!". The same argument applies to if I have been helping in my local community library, does that count? I think, No. That's where I need to see where I should spend time optimally with respect to the charitable work which is for good cause and also beneficial for me. Rather than just spending time for no good.

It's not necessarily what you do that counts, but the impact that it has. So helping your local community library can be a great EC if you have a good impact on it, such as managing their annual fundraising drive, raising community awareness through grassroots PR, developing a software tool that will help them better track checked out books, etc. I feel that ECs are a great way for you to build the "management" expertise that you desire. The organizations will be more open to it since, well, you'll be doing it for free. That will help with B school but I doubt many employers will see it as super valuable (but it won't hurt).

I think your eagerness to do a meaningful EC activity is great, but I would still really focus on ways to grow at work - to get that financial and/or managerial experience you want. I don't really know your personal employment situation, but see my previous post for some ideas around that.

sgupta0827 wrote:
Also, I have plenty of interests, not really limited to one passion, really I was not born with talent, whatever I have is because of sheer hard work, and I know whatever I get into, I simply start loving it, be it building a web site, managing a project, learning a product, planning for an event, learning new language, meeting new people or whatever you can think of including dance, music, social work etc. Question is where should I spend the limited time to get most out of it. At this point of time, yes, the goal is to get into a B school. For that, I can limit my activities and focus on what is required for good B school application. For the rest, I have my whole life to enjoy.

While I generally feel that quality is better than quantity, maybe your thing is to get involved in a lot of different activities...a bit of a renaissance man. In doing so, though, you have to be sure that you are having on impact (there's that word again) on yourself, the organization/group you are working with, and the other people involved in that organization/group.

However, I would still caution against focusing/limiting for the sake of B school. Unless you are really motivated about an activity, whether it is work or EC, then I don't know if you will be able to make that impact that I keep obsessing over. That's a judgment call on your part.

I'm probably the most untalented guy you'll ever meet, so don't let that get in your way. In fact, one of my best B school essays revolved around my self-proclaimed skill of being a "specialized generalist". It sounds like your talent is great eagerness, open-mindedness, and ability to pick up new things (sounds like pretty solid managerial traits if you ask me).

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks again for the feedback! I think that was a great feedback, although I am not sure if the managerial trait you mentioned will be seen in a positive way by B schools, but I will keep in mind while writing my essays. It definitely helps to judge the personality when you get such feedback; I wish I could get more of those kind. By the way, just for your information, I could get in touch with one lady who is interested in working with me for a position in non profit organization. She asked for my volunteer resume. While I was preparing for the resume, I realized I do have lot of ECs which I could mention on my profile, just that I don't have numbers to prove and I felt they were not worth mentioning on resume, so I never mentioned. As per your advice, I mentioned everything whatever I did so far, let's see if I get any response from her.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts