GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 11:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

     December 10, 2018

     December 10, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 11, 2018

     December 11, 2018

     09:00 PM EST

     10:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Sep 2018, 06:57
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:07) correct 42% (01:29) wrong based on 81 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of all integers which have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7. How many integer values are part of both sets?

A. None
B. One
C. Two
D. Three
E. Four

Originally posted by harshitagarg on 30 Aug 2018, 11:30.
Last edited by Bunuel on 01 Sep 2018, 06:57, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the OA.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 11:31
1
The official explanation provided is:
If the members of Set Y have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7, this means that they are each 2 more than a multiple of 7. Therefore, the members of Set Y are {9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51,58, …} The only members of Set Y that are prime numbers less than 60 are 23 and 37.

The correct answer is choice C.


CAN ANYONE CLARIFY WHY IS 2 NOT INCLUDED IN SET Y? THE REMAINDER WHEN 2 IS DIVIDED BY 7 IS 2 SO IT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE SET?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q41 V19
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 11:45
harshitagarg wrote:
Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of all integers which have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7. How many integer values are part of both sets?

A. None
B. One
C. Two
D. Three
E. Four



prime nos set X = [2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47 53 59]

Now divide by each number by 7 and see what the remainder is. 23-7*3=2, 37-7*5=2, so set Y has [23, 37].
Only 2 numbers are common in set X and Y, so answer is C.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Status: Studying SC
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 115
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 11:48
1
harshitagarg wrote:
The official explanation provided is:
If the members of Set Y have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7, this means that they are each 2 more than a multiple of 7. Therefore, the members of Set Y are {9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51,58, …} The only members of Set Y that are prime numbers less than 60 are 23 and 37.

The correct answer is choice C.


CAN ANYONE CLARIFY WHY IS 2 NOT INCLUDED IN SET Y? THE REMAINDER WHEN 2 IS DIVIDED BY 7 IS 2 SO IT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE SET?


I agree with you my friend. 2 is a prime number and \(\frac{2}{7}\) = 0 remainder 2

Therefore, I believe the answer should be D. Three

Set X: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59
Set Y: 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, 65.....
_________________

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q41 V19
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 11:57
MikeScarn wrote:
harshitagarg wrote:
The official explanation provided is:
If the members of Set Y have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7, this means that they are each 2 more than a multiple of 7. Therefore, the members of Set Y are {9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51,58, …} The only members of Set Y that are prime numbers less than 60 are 23 and 37.

The correct answer is choice C.


CAN ANYONE CLARIFY WHY IS 2 NOT INCLUDED IN SET Y? THE REMAINDER WHEN 2 IS DIVIDED BY 7 IS 2 SO IT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE SET?


I agree with you my friend. 2 is a prime number and \(\frac{2}{7}\) = 0 remainder 2

Therefore, I believe the answer should be D. Three

Set X: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59
Set Y: 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, 65.....




I believe because result of \(\frac{2}{7}\) is not an integer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 378
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 12:06
Bunuel, Need your expert advice please. How answer is C. As per me Answer should be D as 2,23,37 will be common terms
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51072
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 20:06
ammuseeru wrote:
Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of all integers which have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7. How many integer values are part of both sets?

A. None
B. One
C. Two
D. Three
E. Four


Bunuel, Need your expert advice please. How answer is C. As per me Answer should be D as 2,23,37 will be common terms


Primes less than 60: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59. (17 primes)
Integers which have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7: 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, ...

There are three numbers in common of these two sets.

Answer: D.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 378
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 20:09
1
Bunuel wrote:
ammuseeru wrote:
Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of all integers which have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7. How many integer values are part of both sets?

A. None
B. One
C. Two
D. Three
E. Four


Bunuel, Need your expert advice please. How answer is C. As per me Answer should be D as 2,23,37 will be common terms


Primes less than 60: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59. (17 primes)
Integers which have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7: 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, ...

There are three numbers in common of these two sets.

Answer: D.



OA says C
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51072
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 20:13
ammuseeru wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ammuseeru wrote:
Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of all integers which have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7. How many integer values are part of both sets?

A. None
B. One
C. Two
D. Three
E. Four


Bunuel, Need your expert advice please. How answer is C. As per me Answer should be D as 2,23,37 will be common terms


Primes less than 60: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59. (17 primes)
Integers which have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7: 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, ...

There are three numbers in common of these two sets.

Answer: D.



OA says C

_________________
OA is wrong. Edited.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 05:03
harshitagarg wrote:
Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of all integers which have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7. How many integer values are part of both sets?

A. None
B. One
C. Two
D. Three
E. Four



What about number 2?

If we write X = qXd+r and substitute q = 0,1, 2, 3, 4, ..... , then we would get X = 2, 9, 16, 23.... .
And number 2 is the smallest even prime number? So, why isn't 2 involved in the set ?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Jun 2018
Posts: 249
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 08:01
1
harshitagarg wrote:
Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of all integers which have a remainder of 2 when divided by 7. How many integer values are part of both sets?

A. None
B. One
C. Two
D. Three
E. Four


OA: D

Set X :{2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59}
Set Y :{2, 9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58,..............}

\(3\) integers i.e \(2,23,37\) are part of both the sets.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al &nbs [#permalink] 31 Aug 2018, 08:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Set X consists of all prime numbers less than 60. Set Y consists of al

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.