GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 14:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Several gastrointestinal illnesses are contracted by swimming

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Several gastrointestinal illnesses are contracted by swimming  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 22:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:31) correct 27% (01:38) wrong based on 212 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Several gastrointestinal illnesses are contracted by swimming in the sea as a result of infectious bacteria in the water. There are tests which reveal the existence of these bacteria, but they are not reliable. Therefore, the authorities have decided not to invest money in those tests, but rather in tests which reveal the existence of non-infectious bacteria.

Which of the following supports the authorities' decision?

A, Non-infectious bacteria were always found close to shore.
B, Where the non-infectious bacteria are found, the infectious bacteria are also found.
C, The test which reveals the existence of non-infectious bacteria was developed only recently.
D, Tests which reveal the existence of non-infectious bacteria take less time and cost less money.
E, One in every ten people who swims in the sea contracts a gastrointestinal illness as a result of infectious bacteria in the water.

+1 kudos, if you like the post :wink:

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Several gastrointestinal illnesses are contracted by swimming  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 22:38
Gastrointestinal diseases <-- Infectious Bacteria in water
Tests to find out infectious bacteria --> Not reliable --> Invest in tests which reveal existence of non infectious bacteria.

Possible Assumption: Finding out non infectious bacteria can help detect infectious bacteria

A, Non-infectious bacteria were always found close to shore. - Incorrect - Irrelevant

B, Where the non-infectious bacteria are found, the infectious bacteria are also found. - Correct - Aligns to our assumption. Negate: Where non infectious bacteria are found, infectious bacteria are not found --> So, no use of finding non infectious bacteria --> No need to invest money to find non infectious bacteria --> Conclusion breaks down.

C, The test which reveals the existence of non-infectious bacteria was developed only recently. - Incorrect - Irrelevant

D, Tests which reveal the existence of non-infectious bacteria take less time and cost less money. - Incorrect - Argument does not give any preference to money

E, One in every ten people who swims in the sea contracts a gastrointestinal illness as a result of infectious bacteria in the water. - Incorrect - Option provides stats to solidify the premise, but not the conclusion

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Premium Member
Several gastrointestinal illnesses are contracted by swimming  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 23:59
Good Question.

Question Type: Assumption. We need to find the missing info.
Conclusion: The authorities have decided to invest money in tests which reveal the existence of non-infectious bacteria.

The "non-infectious" bacteria is mentioned only in the conclusion. So, adding any new info about it will be the assumption.
Only A and B have "non-infectious" bacteria as the subject. B wins.
_________
Thanks = Kudos!
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 07:03
B is obviously the answer, but it sounds weak. I was expecting something in the order of:
Infectious bacteria are only found where non infectious bacteria are found.

However this answer as given is open to debate:
Where the non-infectious bacteria are found, the infectious bacteria are also found. Does not mean that "Where the non-infectious bacteria are NOT found, the infectious bacteria are also NOT found"

If we can find that where Where the non-infectious bacteria are NOT found, the infectious bacteria are also found. Then it wouldn't be the assumption.

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 08:45
prasadyanz wrote:
Several gastrointestinal illnesses are contracted by swimming in the sea as a result of infectious bacteria in the water. There are tests which reveal the existence of these bacteria, but they are not reliable. Therefore, the authorities have decided not to invest money in those tests, but rather in tests which reveal the existence of non-infectious bacteria.

A, Non-infectious bacteria were always found close to shore.
B, Where the non-infectious bacteria are found, the infectious bacteria are also found.
C, The test which reveals the existence of non-infectious bacteria was developed only recently.
D, Tests which reveal the existence of non-infectious bacteria take less time and cost less money.
E, One in every ten people who swims in the sea contracts a gastrointestinal illness as a result of infectious bacteria in the water.

Conclusion: Therefore, the authorities have decided not to invest money in those tests, but rather in tests which reveal the existence of non-infectious bacteria.

The assumption is Where the non-infectious bacteria are found, the infectious bacteria are also found. if we negate option B. negated option B will shatter the conclusion
so B ans

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 05:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Several gastrointestinal illnesses are contracted by swimming &nbs [#permalink] 01 Aug 2018, 05:39

Several gastrointestinal illnesses are contracted by swimming

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap