It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 07:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I include activities from undergrad in resume?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Should I include activities from undergrad in resume? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 17:20
Hi,

I've been looking at resume examples from Duke and Wharton and noticed that some (particularly the MMS candidates) applicants list activities (IE. Volunteer work, fraternity, etc.) in their resume. Should I do this? I feel like I have a substantial amount of work during my professional career and I feel including activities from undergrad is not what the resume is meant for.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 78

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Should I include activities from undergrad in resume? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 22:50
chestud13 wrote:
Hi,

I've been looking at resume examples from Duke and Wharton and noticed that some (particularly the MMS candidates) applicants list activities (IE. Volunteer work, fraternity, etc.) in their resume. Should I do this? I feel like I have a substantial amount of work during my professional career and I feel including activities from undergrad is not what the resume is meant for.

Like all things it's a bit of a case by case. I would say the further removed from undergrad you are the greater the achievement has to be to include on the resume. If for example you were a class president have some room to spare I would just include that in the school/education portion as a single line. If it's worth knowing it will likely come out in the essays/interview/or somewhere else within the application (for example Berkeley asks for additional actitivies during undergrad).

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 78

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 09:22
Hi there,

It is helpful to include extracurricular activities on the resume - schools gauge how involved you'll be in their communities based off of your contributions to your communities in the past. Hope that helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 10:12
chestud13 wrote:
Hi,
Hi chestud13, thanks for your question- and depending on how far you are removed then that determines how much undergrad is on your resume. Students applying to an MMS program usually are at the start of their careers so it would make sense that more of the undergrad experience is on the resume- as you mature and gain new experience you will naturally have less college activities- although the application itself usually asks for some of the undergrad activities because schools want to know what kind of community member you will be and in this case- unlike financial performance- past experience does in fact usually predict future involvement as a student. If you were a show up for class and not much else person in undergrad, grad programs might assume you would be the same way in an MBA program and that is not what they are looking for! Hope this helps- and best wishes- for individual advice- we would be glad to do a free consult to look at your specific situation. To set that up- sign up here for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 42

Re: Should I include activities from undergrad in resume?   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2017, 10:12

Should I include activities from undergrad in resume?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap