Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]
I say skip the interview also. I dont understand how you would bring up a Stern admit in order to get more $$$. Wont that reflect poorly?

Also, I think your interview spot will go to somebody else who still really wants to attend. Be the nice guy! 8-)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Raabend wrote:
I say skip the interview also. I dont understand how you would bring up a Stern admit in order to get more $$$. Wont that reflect poorly?

Also, I think your interview spot will go to somebody else who still really wants to attend. Be the nice guy! 8-)

ditto, unless you really want some schollie money and you will try anything.

personally I am way too lazy to pull off anything like pitting one school against another for schollie money.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
I don't think schools are going to give you money just because you have an admit to another school. This certainly isn't a great year for bargaining. If you choose not to attend, they have plenty of other awesome candidates who are eager to take your place. I would suggest skipping the Stern interview and saving your day off for something fun.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
It's your decision. I wouldn't feel selfish one bit. You've done all the work to this point and paid your fee. Therefore, you've earned the right to see how it plays out even if you THINK you wouldn't attend. You never know, they could offer you a significant scholarship.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
I would skip the interview for a few reasons. First, if you already know you won't attend, you're really wasting the adcom's (and your) time by interviewing there. Second, if you're not excited by the chance to go to Stern because you're already admitted to other schools, I think it'll show in your interview, so you may not even do as well as you'd think. Third, I agree with the others who suggested it's better to give up the spot to people who are more interested/likely to attend Stern.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
If there's the slightest chance that you will attend Stern if admitted (w/o money, or with loads of it), I would interview.

If there's no chance at all you'll attend if admitted, I'd withdraw the application.
Two reasons:
1) I don't think an admit from Stern will really help you negotiate $$ from Booth or Kellogg unless you get a full ride of some kind. (Leveraging Booth vs Kellogg - that on the other hand might have some merits, but that's another conversation)
2) It's just the nice thing to do - declining to interview will mean someone else will have the chance. Even if that person doesn't have Stern as a top choice, it's increasing the likelihood that someone who really really wants to go there will get in. Plus, it's good karma and all that.

:)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q50  V38
Send PM
agreed. NYU leverage won't do much for you at booth or kellogg. If you had a full scholly at HBS, that would be another thing.

I withdrew Darden because I didnt want to make the trip to VA to interview and I wasn't going to attend anyway.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
It's your decision. I wouldn't feel selfish one bit. You've done all the work to this point and paid your fee. Therefore, you've earned the right to see how it plays out even if you THINK you wouldn't attend. You never know, they could offer you a significant scholarship.

I completely agree with maverick. You earned that interview and it is your right to go through with it. What if Stern gave you a full ride?

If you are 100% committed on NOT attending regardless of how big Stern's scholarship could be then I would withdraw because I don't think NYU's money will be a huge bargaining chip with Booth, Kellogg. Both of these schools have waitlists and can easily fill your seat. If you are one of B/K's top applicants then maybe Stern's money could help you negotiate something. But I think that if you were one of their top applicants they would have already given you significant scholarships.

If the chance of you attending Stern is >0, no matter how small it may be, I would choose to interview. You never know how you will feel about Stern when they give you an offer with a full scholarship.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I think you should turn this into a poll Soni!!!!!!!! FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Well, you withdrawing will certainly not have any impact on your friend's chances because it's not like the admissions committee decides to interview "x" number of applicants only. It's still too early in the applications cycle for NYU Stern to worry about complex yield projections, and so if NYU Stern finds your friend's application compelling he will get an interview invitation irrespective of your decision to pursue the interview or not.

Assuming traveling to New York isn't prohibitively expensive, I think you should go ahead and interview just to "greenlight" another school on your profile! :) And who knows, you might meet someone, fall in love, and decide to live in New York anyway. :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Send PM
I agree with the poll. This could be (wishful thinking) a dilemma that multiple people on GMAT club have to deal with.

Admit from school “x” fully intend to accept but have an interview at school “y”...

Also, has anyone ever heard of a successful negotiation/plea for scholly?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
I cant believe that i am saying this, because I m never in favor of withdrawing under any circumstances, but if u have no intentions of going there even with a full waiver, then, u rather withdraw ur application and save ur time, money as well as the interviewers time.

To me, the bigger question is whether you should decline NYU with full scholarship in favor of Kellogg or Booth with little to no $$. I would have a tough time leaving that much $$ on the table especially when it is coming from an elite school. I agree with solaris1, u attending/not attending the interview would have little to no impact on ur friend this early in the application cycle.

Originally posted by traffix on 08 Jan 2009, 09:23.
Last edited by traffix on 08 Jan 2009, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [0]
Send PM
why not save the NYC trip for a columbia interview? :wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I don't know dude, I personally I wouldn't mind the experience. But lets say if you withdraw your app, and your friend gets an interview the next day, you will probably get a good friend for life. I say that's pretty return/investment ratio.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Wow, responses all over the spectrum. I wouldn't leverage the admit, I would only leverage the offer of $$$ if I were to get some along with an admit. But it's looking like my heart really isn't into it and I don't want to waste my time and NYU's time, so I will prob just go ahead and withdraw.

Just too many variables...will I perform in the interview...will I get admitted...will I get $$$...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I wouldn't do it but that is me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
I agree, too many variables involved. Do a probability check and make a decision :)

BTW, "negotiate $$ from Booth or Kellogg", can we do that in Bschool?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2