It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 23:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I interview? - dilemma

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 850

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 05:44
Something I've been thinking of a bit the last couple of days:

I received an interview invite from NYU. I have no intention of attending, but have considered using an NYU admt as leverage for getting some $$$ out of schools I've been admitted to. I would still have to go to NYC and spend a vacation day, though chances of an admit are pretty good after interview. However, I don't know if my heart would fully be into the interview since the school no longer excites me.

To make things more complicated, I have a friend who has a very similar profile (race, WE, better gpa, slightly lower gmat) also applying R1 who absolutely LOVES stern and is freaking out about not receiving an invite yet.

So given my situation, should I withdraw or go through with the interview? If I withdraw, will that help his chances (if the answer to this is yes, then I will def withdraw)?

thanks!

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 415

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 06:53
I guess there's 2 ways of looking at this:

1. You've done all the hard work in Sept/Oct and want to reap the benefits.
2. You really don't care about attending Stern anymore so no point in interviewing.

I think if there is any chance that you may still matriculate at Stern (with scholarship or something), then you need to go ahead and interview there. If there is no chance that you will matriculate at Stern, then withdrawing may make sense. I have no idea how the adcom works and whether your withdrawal may have a direct impact for your friend - but it will help someone who is still set on going to Stern.

Just my $0.02!

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 597

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Location: Detroit, MI
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 07:10
I don't know anything about this - but can you really negotiate with schools by telling them you have money from another school?

Seems like the schools have people lining up to attend, and if you don't want what they offer, they can just go down the line. Either way, I say skip the interview. If you have absolutely no intention of attending, then it seems it would be a waste of time for everyone involved, and while I do not think it would help your friends profile, your friend may see you interviewing as a selfish move if you have no desire to matriculate.

Just my two cents! Congrats again on the K admit! :-D

~Sam

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 885

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 29

Location: Earth
Schools: Cornell '11
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 07:14
I say skip the interview also. I dont understand how you would bring up a Stern admit in order to get more $$$. Wont that reflect poorly?

Also, I think your interview spot will go to somebody else who still really wants to attend. Be the nice guy! 8-)
_________________

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 29

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 07:25
Raabend wrote:
I say skip the interview also. I dont understand how you would bring up a Stern admit in order to get more $$$. Wont that reflect poorly?

Also, I think your interview spot will go to somebody else who still really wants to attend. Be the nice guy! 8-)


ditto, unless you really want some schollie money and you will try anything.

personally I am way too lazy to pull off anything like pitting one school against another for schollie money.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 356

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 07:28
I don't think schools are going to give you money just because you have an admit to another school. This certainly isn't a great year for bargaining. If you choose not to attend, they have plenty of other awesome candidates who are eager to take your place. I would suggest skipping the Stern interview and saving your day off for something fun.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 299

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 07:29
It's your decision. I wouldn't feel selfish one bit. You've done all the work to this point and paid your fee. Therefore, you've earned the right to see how it plays out even if you THINK you wouldn't attend. You never know, they could offer you a significant scholarship.

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2008
Posts: 1221

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 17

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 07:34
I would skip the interview for a few reasons. First, if you already know you won't attend, you're really wasting the adcom's (and your) time by interviewing there. Second, if you're not excited by the chance to go to Stern because you're already admitted to other schools, I think it'll show in your interview, so you may not even do as well as you'd think. Third, I agree with the others who suggested it's better to give up the spot to people who are more interested/likely to attend Stern.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 17

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 07:42
If there's the slightest chance that you will attend Stern if admitted (w/o money, or with loads of it), I would interview.

If there's no chance at all you'll attend if admitted, I'd withdraw the application.
Two reasons:
1) I don't think an admit from Stern will really help you negotiate $$ from Booth or Kellogg unless you get a full ride of some kind. (Leveraging Booth vs Kellogg - that on the other hand might have some merits, but that's another conversation)
2) It's just the nice thing to do - declining to interview will mean someone else will have the chance. Even if that person doesn't have Stern as a top choice, it's increasing the likelihood that someone who really really wants to go there will get in. Plus, it's good karma and all that.

:)

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1437

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 08:11
agreed. NYU leverage won't do much for you at booth or kellogg. If you had a full scholly at HBS, that would be another thing.

I withdrew Darden because I didnt want to make the trip to VA to interview and I wasn't going to attend anyway.

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 316

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 3

Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 08:28
maverick2011 wrote:
It's your decision. I wouldn't feel selfish one bit. You've done all the work to this point and paid your fee. Therefore, you've earned the right to see how it plays out even if you THINK you wouldn't attend. You never know, they could offer you a significant scholarship.


I completely agree with maverick. You earned that interview and it is your right to go through with it. What if Stern gave you a full ride?

If you are 100% committed on NOT attending regardless of how big Stern's scholarship could be then I would withdraw because I don't think NYU's money will be a huge bargaining chip with Booth, Kellogg. Both of these schools have waitlists and can easily fill your seat. If you are one of B/K's top applicants then maybe Stern's money could help you negotiate something. But I think that if you were one of their top applicants they would have already given you significant scholarships.

If the chance of you attending Stern is >0, no matter how small it may be, I would choose to interview. You never know how you will feel about Stern when they give you an offer with a full scholarship.

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 3

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 885

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 29

Location: Earth
Schools: Cornell '11
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 08:35
I think you should turn this into a poll Soni!!!!!!!! FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!
_________________

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 29

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1499

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Schools: NYU Stern '11
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 08:48
Well, you withdrawing will certainly not have any impact on your friend's chances because it's not like the admissions committee decides to interview "x" number of applicants only. It's still too early in the applications cycle for NYU Stern to worry about complex yield projections, and so if NYU Stern finds your friend's application compelling he will get an interview invitation irrespective of your decision to pursue the interview or not.

Assuming traveling to New York isn't prohibitively expensive, I think you should go ahead and interview just to "greenlight" another school on your profile! :) And who knows, you might meet someone, fall in love, and decide to live in New York anyway. :P

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 197

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 09:23
I agree with the poll. This could be (wishful thinking) a dilemma that multiple people on GMAT club have to deal with.

Admit from school “x” fully intend to accept but have an interview at school “y”...

Also, has anyone ever heard of a successful negotiation/plea for scholly?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 354

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Location: Texas
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 09:23
I cant believe that i am saying this, because I m never in favor of withdrawing under any circumstances, but if u have no intentions of going there even with a full waiver, then, u rather withdraw ur application and save ur time, money as well as the interviewers time.

To me, the bigger question is whether you should decline NYU with full scholarship in favor of Kellogg or Booth with little to no $$. I would have a tough time leaving that much $$ on the table especially when it is coming from an elite school. I agree with solaris1, u attending/not attending the interview would have little to no impact on ur friend this early in the application cycle.
_________________

Traffic never sleeps...


Last edited by traffix on 08 Jan 2009, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Posts: 368

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 09:49
why not save the NYC trip for a columbia interview? :wink:

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 786

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 25

Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 10:07
I don't know dude, I personally I wouldn't mind the experience. But lets say if you withdraw your app, and your friend gets an interview the next day, you will probably get a good friend for life. I say that's pretty return/investment ratio.

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 25

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 850

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 10:38
Wow, responses all over the spectrum. I wouldn't leverage the admit, I would only leverage the offer of $$$ if I were to get some along with an admit. But it's looking like my heart really isn't into it and I don't want to waste my time and NYU's time, so I will prob just go ahead and withdraw.

Just too many variables...will I perform in the interview...will I get admitted...will I get $$$...

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4318

Kudos [?]: 762 [0], given: 5

Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 10:47
I wouldn't do it but that is me.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 762 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 348

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I interview? - dilemma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2009, 11:47
I agree, too many variables involved. Do a probability check and make a decision :)

BTW, "negotiate $$ from Booth or Kellogg", can we do that in Bschool?
_________________

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I interview? - dilemma   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2009, 11:47

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Should I interview? - dilemma

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.