Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 03:16 It is currently 13 May 2024, 03:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1998 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4610 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 5220 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Re: Should I retake? 730 but 60%ile Quant. [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey George,

If you can push your Quantitative score to Q49-50 and maintain your Verbal score,
you could be looking at a 99th percentile(760+ score) and that will definitely make
a very big difference at any program! So, my advice to you will be to invest in
whatever you think will help you achieve a good score in Quantitative.

From my own experience, the GMATClub tests/GMATPrep(EP1 & EP2) tests
are really good for practice and will definitely help you achieve your target score.

Hope that helps you!
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Should I retake? 730 but 60%ile Quant. [#permalink]
Kudos
If you have a strong quant background, ie. physics, math, engineering major and work as an analyst or data science kind of role, I don't think any school would question your math ability. However, as a male (white?) in consulting, a 730 is probably not going to cut it at the very top schools, doubley so being in big 4 rather than MBB. Given the trend of averages creeping up a few points per year, I also wouldn't doubt a few schools posting 740+ averages by the time you are going to be applying. I hate to say to retake a 730....but I think it is your best bet to separate yourself from the rest of the consultants, especially since you have the down time to study hard right now.

You should also pick up some strong extracurriculars that last years, not just a few months before applying. Try to move into leadership with them and make an impact. Consulting hours are tough, but if you can manage that it will look very good. Good numbers are a great start, and one or two solid ECs can really round everything off.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4669 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Queen6suited wrote:
Hi guys,
Just did my first real GMAT;

V 46- 99%ile
Q 46 60%ile
IR 8
Total 730 96%ile.

I'm currently in a 6 month lull period before I start my first job as a consultant for one of the big firms, so figured it was good to do it now whilst I had spare time. I did two practice tests (from the official GMAT guide,) getting 750 (99% V, 73% Q) and 740 (98% V, 73% Q). My problem is will top business schools be put off by low Quant score? I'm actually really frustrated because haven't spent a second practising verbal outside of practice tests, whereas spent a long time on Quant, so really frustrating to see the score decline since my first 'baseline' test.

I'm fairly confident I would never drop below a 98% verbal, had 20 mins left there today, but always end up with seconds left on quant. Feel like if I could spend another month really focusing there I'd improve it, but will it matter to the top schools?

Appreciate any feedback,
George
While 60% is the overall (global) percentile for Q46 right now, schools generally do not focus on percentiles (they tend to look at the scaled scores) and they try to compare candidates from similar backgrounds. So unless you're from a country where Q48+ is the norm (China, India...), a Q46 will not be considered "low". That said, you're in a very good position to get an even better score, and I'd definitely take the exam again if I were you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Should I retake? 730 but 60%ile Quant. [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

Before you retake, I suggest you strengthen your fundamentals and pace. Take CATs and once you start scoring q49/50 consistently, you can retake GMAT.

But IMO 730 itself is a good score and you can get admitted anywhere with right application
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos