GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 23:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Should I retake ? Please Help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '20
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.1
Should I retake ? Please Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 05:07
Hello everyone,

After 3 weeks of study, I got 720 (Q50, V38, IR5, did not receive AWA yet). Truth is that I cannot hide my delight with this score, but I am little bit disappointed because I scored towards the bottom of my practice scores (scored 740 in GMATPREP on average).

Objective:
My goal is, above all, to get to my dream school: Harvard.
I am willing to submit in next year sessions (for this year, I am already late)

Key GMAT strenghts:
Quant: my engineering background allowed me to deal easily with GMAT questions. However, I wish I could capitalize more my background to get Q51 instead of Q50. (I did not spend much time on Quant as I was very week in Verbal)

GMAT weaknesses:
English is my Achilles heel. I am not a native English speaker (I come from a french speaking country) and I find the GMAT English very hard.
I spent most of the three weeks preparing verbal, with little improvement.

Preparation material:

-Quant:
1- OG questions
2- Advanced Manhattan questions

-Verbal:
1- OG questions
2- Manhattan book for sentence correction

-Practice tests:
1- GMAT Prep (2 free 740 770, package1 770 740, package2 710 740)
2- Manhattan tests

My questions to you:
1-Should I retake the GMAT in order to maximize my chance to get to Harvard? I feel that I can do better (I know that I can do better in quant if I prepare it seriously, and for verbal I think I still have a lot to do), and that's why I am willing to retake.
It is not gooing to be easy for me as I work in management consulting and I have busy work Schedule but I am willing to give it a try.

2-If yes, what do you advise me to do in to hit the 770 bar ? (material & courses, study plan, practice tests, etc.).

Thank you :) :)
Manager
Manager
G
Affiliations: None
GPA: 3.9
WE: Asset Management (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Should I retake ? Please Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 05:13
Hello,

Congrats for your scores and preparation! How long did it take you to get there? I am myself a french speaker and it was not easy for me to get to improve my verbal part. This is a toughest sections to improve and the score you have received is such a good one after what you described.

What background do you have? Will your "dossier" need a better GMAT grade?

Best
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '20
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 05:19
Hello Ross 2018,

I started a month ago but as my work Schedule is busy I was not able to focus and work regularily. I decided then to take 20 jrs vacation and worked 4 to 5 hours per day (mainly verbal).

For my dossier, I think I need a very good GMAT score to offset my grads. I studied an engineering college in Morocco (ranked first in Morocco) and I have average grads.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 06:24
OwZey wrote:
Hello everyone,

After 3 weeks of study, I got 720 (Q50, V38, IR5, did not receive AWA yet). Truth is that I cannot hide my delight with this score, but I am little bit disappointed because I scored towards the bottom of my practice scores (scored 740 in GMATPREP on average).

Objective:
My goal is, above all, to get to my dream school: Harvard.
I am willing to submit in next year sessions (for this year, I am already late)

Key GMAT strenghts:
Quant: my engineering background allowed me to deal easily with GMAT questions. However, I wish I could capitalize more my background to get Q51 instead of Q50. (I did not spend much time on Quant as I was very week in Verbal)

GMAT weaknesses:
English is my Achilles heel. I am not a native English speaker (I come from a french speaking country) and I find the GMAT English very hard.
I spent most of the three weeks preparing verbal, with little improvement.

Preparation material:

-Quant:
1- OG questions
2- Advanced Manhattan questions

-Verbal:
1- OG questions
2- Manhattan book for sentence correction

-Practice tests:
1- GMAT Prep (2 free 740 770, package1 770 740, package2 710 740)
2- Manhattan tests

My questions to you:
1-Should I retake the GMAT in order to maximize my chance to get to Harvard? I feel that I can do better (I know that I can do better in quant if I prepare it seriously, and for verbal I think I still have a lot to do), and that's why I am willing to retake.
It is not gooing to be easy for me as I work in management consulting and I have busy work Schedule but I am willing to give it a try.

2-If yes, what do you advise me to do in to hit the 770 bar ? (material & courses, study plan, practice tests, etc.).

Thank you :) :)

Firstly as far as I can see.. You are really interested in getting a top 10 B-school and not just any B-school.. So, probably you must be having a good academic background with great extra curricular activities.. (Please do share about your profile). Also you are very late this season.. So if possible you can apply this year in R2/R3 whichever is left for HBS and take time of 2-3 months of preparation and then take your next GMAT but this time target should be bigger and above 750.. And then next year apply for HBS and other top 10 school..

Now the question is how to get a good score above 750..
1. You have got 50 instead of 51 due to lack of practice in QA and not due to your natural ability. So, practice more in QA .. Solve OG again and again. Also keep solving questions on GMATClub using timer.
2. Since you prepared 3 weeks for VA and you did good in this test... This clearly indicates that you are improving in VA and the saturation has not yet reached.. So keep solving the questions of VA on GMatclub and other books available with you.
3. THe most important is your positive attitude, desire to get great score will help you sail across this journey.. So, keep talking here and other friends and keep working on your -ve points..

Hope that helps...
And for materials .. whatever you have solved yet .. just solve it again.. you will find a new perspective and a better learning...and take some new tests after that...

CAT 99th percentiler : VA 97.27 | DI-LR 96.84 | QA 98.04 | OA 98.95
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu

Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)

What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".

Re: Should I retake ? Please Help &nbs [#permalink] 06 Feb 2018, 06:24

Should I retake ? Please Help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap