Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1404 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Send PM
Re: Should I Retake the GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Biswadeep20 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I gave my official GMAT test(2nd attempt) yesterday and got the same score as in 1st my 1st attempt. My 1st attempt was partially without preparation, but in this 2nd attempt, I took the TTP's 6-month course as well for my preparation and actively engaged in GMATClub's questions. I isolated myself from social media; I uninstalled https://gmatclub.com/chat for 6 months since May this year and my FB account was deactivated for over 4 years since my 1st attempt. Between my 1st and 2nd attempts, I didn't study much during the pandemic period. I have struggled a lot with my Verbal questions in both the official tests. My current job profile has been a huge hindrance for me to concentrate as well since I was working for 12-13 hours a day and even during weekends. I was only able to do my preparation during weekends and while I was taking paid leave to study. I have strictly informed my manager today, although, that I wouldn't be working beyond my shift timings. I should have done this before rather than giving more importance to my work.

Score received in both my official attempts: 460 (Q42 and V10 in 1st attempt) and (Q40 and V14 in yesterday's attempt)

Resources I used during my preparation:
TTP for Verbal: I performed well (not great) in the easy questions in the TTP's question sets but struggled a bit with medium and got butchered in hard ones. I don't know whether this test isn't for me.
TTP for Quant: I surely got almost all the questions correct, 60-80% of the questions in medium level and 50-70% in hard level ones.

GMATNinja's tutoring videos: I watched the GMATNinja team's Quant & Verbal videos in the playlist (able to solve the 1st 6-7 questions out of the total questions in each of Quant's videos, but Verbal I struggled with especially CR & RC).

Official Guides.

I would urge every expert on this forum to please provide a resolution on what can I do to improve my GMAT score. I have seen so many positive debriefs about students scoring from low 300s to 700s, I want to be such an example too. I am determined to crush this test at any cost now. I would need significant improvement in Verbal since I am finding it difficult to understand the dense passages in RC. I have subscribed to the Economist today based on the debriefs that I have seen previously. I have seen students recommending some non-fiction books. Could you please suggest a list of 5-10 such books that would surely augment my verbal skills? Finally, for Quant, I am sure I would need even more practice and I promise I will deep dive into the Quant mega-thread available in this forum and Official mocks for both Quant & Verbal. But any additional advice is highly appreciated. Do you also recommend meditation or any other ways to improve cognitive thinking? If so, could you please suggest some? I want to give everything before my 3rd attempt. I will be targeting the Focused version of GMAT since I am burnt out way too much now. I will start my preparation in 1st week of January.

ScottTargetTestPrep
JeffTargetTestPrep
MartyTargetTestPrep
bb
GMATNinja
GMATNinjaTwo

Regards,
Biswadeep

Hi Biswadeep,

It's clear that you're committed to improving your score. When it comes to GMAT prep, it's essential to focus on the basics before diving into more complex strategies or supplementary materials like reading non-fiction books or The Economist. While these activities can be beneficial in the long run, they aren't immediately necessary for boosting your GMAT score.

Your current approach might benefit from a slight shift in focus. Concentrate on getting a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts. You can achieve this through any good test prep company or even self-study materials like the Manhattan guides. The key is to thoroughly complete your chosen material and ensure you have a strong grasp of the basics.

Once you're confident with the fundamentals, you can start practicing with the official guides. Considering your scores, it seems there might be some gaps in your fundamental understanding, particularly in Verbal. Don't get too caught up in the dramatic score improvements others have made; focus on your own journey and progress.

Practicing without a solid understanding of the fundamentals can be counterproductive. It's like trying to build a house without laying a proper foundation first. No matter how much effort you put into practicing, if the basic principles and concepts aren't well understood, it becomes much harder to make significant progress. So, before diving back into practice questions and tests, take a step back and invest time in solidifying your grasp of the fundamental concepts. This will make your practice sessions far more effective and will likely lead to a more significant improvement in your score

You're already putting in the effort, which is commendable. Now, it's just a matter of redirecting that effort more effectively. Finish your test prep material thoroughly, make sure you're comfortable with the fundamentals, and then move on to practice and analysis. You've got this, and with a more focused approach, you'll be well on your way to achieving your goal score in your next attempt.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Biswadeep,

Feel free to reach out to us on live chat, and we can figure out what's going on with your GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
MartyMurray wrote:
Biswadeep20 wrote:
I would urge every expert on this forum to please provide a resolution on what can I do to improve my GMAT score.

Hi Biswadeep.

To increase your Verbal score, you probably need to practice a lot more, in addition to reviewing concepts and doing general reading to improve your reading skills.

When practicing Verbal, seek to get a lot out of every question by doing much of your practice untimed and carefully analyzing each question choice by choice.

For some key tips on how to improve in Verbal, see this post.

How to Master GMAT Verbal

Hi MartyMurray,

Thank You Murray for your advice. I have started reading recommended books that I found on this forum to increase my reading & comprehension skills.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1404 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Biswadeep20 wrote:
Hi MartyMurray,

Thank You Murray for your advice. I have started reading recommended books that I found on this forum to increase my reading & comprehension skills.

Great. You could also read articles from the following publications:

• Smithsonian

• BBC History

• Life Magazine

• Economist

• The New York Times

• New Yorker

• Archaeology Magazine

• Science Magazine

• Scientific American

• Science Daily

• Astronomy Magazine

• American Scientist

• Atlantic Monthly

• Physics Today

• Wall Street Journal

• Harvard Business Review

• Harvard Magazine
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: LBS (S)
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Should I Retake the GMAT [#permalink]
hi
GMATNinja
ScottTargetTestPrep
JeffTargetTestPrep
MartyTargetTestPrep
bb
GMATNinjaTwo

or anyone PLEASE give me advice on whether i should resit the GMAT

Demographic: Canadian, Undergraduate degree in Finance and economics, female age 22. I just graduated from my undergraduate studies last month. 
Education: Bachelor's in economics and finance from McGill University, GPA 3.77/4.0
GMAT: 680 
Workex: I have done two previous internships in wealth management as well as real estate investments at a prominent bank and pension fund. 
Int'l exposure: Prior to moving to canada i used to live in the middle east and have extensive exposure travelling, have done multiple study programs abroad as well
Extra Currics: Have been involved in federal youth political organizations, have my own podcast, was the director of operations at a non profit financial literacy club throughout mcgill, was a member of the investment club at mcgill. 

IMPORTANT: please keep in mind i am applying for masters in finance programs and NOT MBA programs, therefore I'm looking for specific advice as to whether my GMAT, given my profile; will be good for the masters in finance programs at schools including LBS, HEC, Yale, Columbia and Booth. I was honestly only aiming for a 700 so thats what i would be aiming for if i resit it, therefore mainly a 20 point increase.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
hihi_1220

Consider writing a profile-review. You could include the schools and program you're targeting as well as any other queries you have. If you're thinking of retaking, the ESR may be worth checking out.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: LBS (S)
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
GmatKnightTutor i have written one and havent received a response
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The GMAT is important for business school admission because it helps the admission committee to evaluate your academic potential, compare you with other applicants, and predict your success in the program. However, the GMAT is not the only factor that matters. Your work experience, essays, recommendations, interviews, and other aspects of your profile also play a significant role in your admission chances.
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
hihi_1220 wrote:
hi
GMATNinja
ScottTargetTestPrep
JeffTargetTestPrep
MartyTargetTestPrep
bb
GMATNinjaTwo

or anyone PLEASE give me advice on whether i should resit the GMAT

Demographic: Canadian, Undergraduate degree in Finance and economics, female age 22. I just graduated from my undergraduate studies last month. 
Education: Bachelor's in economics and finance from McGill University, GPA 3.77/4.0
GMAT: 680 
Workex: I have done two previous internships in wealth management as well as real estate investments at a prominent bank and pension fund. 
Int'l exposure: Prior to moving to canada i used to live in the middle east and have extensive exposure travelling, have done multiple study programs abroad as well
Extra Currics: Have been involved in federal youth political organizations, have my own podcast, was the director of operations at a non profit financial literacy club throughout mcgill, was a member of the investment club at mcgill. 

IMPORTANT: please keep in mind i am applying for masters in finance programs and NOT MBA programs, therefore I'm looking for specific advice as to whether my GMAT, given my profile; will be good for the masters in finance programs at schools including LBS, HEC, Yale, Columbia and Booth. I was honestly only aiming for a 700 so thats what i would be aiming for if i resit it, therefore mainly a 20 point increase.

Hi

The retake decision ultimately comes down to two things:
1) The score expectations of the schools you're targeting
2) The reasons why you fell short of your target score

The first one can be answered with a bit of research.
The latter needs a proper diagnostic session -- you need to understand your exact gaps both in terms of concepts and test taking skills (ie. solving approach). When we do our free diagnostic session with potential clients who are retaking, we find that the majority of the time the issue is more test taking skills rather than concept gaps.

Let me know if you'd like to discuss your challenges and setup the free diagnostic session.

Best of luck

Arvind
Lead GMAT Performance Coach
RetaketheGMAT / i4Excellence Elearning
Email: team@retakethegmat.com
Tel / https://gmatclub.com/chat +1 305 814 9299
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts